Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How would you vote in a referendum to legalise cannabis in the UK?

Would you like to legalise cannabis in the UK?

• YES - Legalise Cannabis

Votes: 268 68.9%
  • NO - Remain Illegal

Votes: 121 31.1%

• Total voters

Dec 29, 2011
Imagining there was a legally binding referendum on the legalisation of cannabis in the UK, how would you vote?

For argument's sake, let's say the hypothetical laws allowed over 18s to possess up to one ounce of cannabis for personal use, and to grow up to 4 plants per household.

This is a straw poll to satisfy my own curiosity on the level of for/against support for the idea. I understand results will be skewed by the male/Brighton demographic.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
All drugs should be legalised and controlled by the state, the war against drugs is not only being lost but actively encourages crimes against the person and property. Bad drugs destroy lives and state sold drugs could generate the income to fun rehabilitation and care.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Over here (Germany) they have said they will legalize it, but it will take time to push it through. I hate being a criminal by simply smoking a joint a night to help with a couple of health issues and hope it soon gets sorted.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All drugs should be legalised and controlled by the state, the war against drugs is not only being lost but actively encourages crimes against the person and property. Bad drugs destroy lives and state sold drugs could generate the income to fun rehabilitation and care.

Out of interest, do you think that as there are people that speed, speed limits on roads should be removed or, in view that there are still rapes, the law against rape should be repealed etc etc.

Also, how long after smoking cannabis do you think you should be allowed to drive?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Out of interest, do you think that as there are people that speed, speed limits on roads should be removed or, in view that there are still rapes, the law against rape should be repealed etc etc.

Also, how long after smoking cannabis do you think you should be allowed to drive?

I'd like to know more about how the driving issue before forming an opinion on the OP's question. I'd like to see more data about how cannabis affects a driver's ability to safely control their vehicle, and I'd like to know more about how practical it is to test drivers for cannabis use, how often these checks take place, and how aware cannabis users are of these things.

I was cycling behind a car a while ago and the fumes of weed emanating from the driver's window were pretty unmistakeable. I have no science to draw on here but I can't imagine that person was safe to be at the wheel of that vehicle.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Your last paragraph highlights my worry about legalisation. There are very fixed and specific limits for drinking and driving or flying as a pilot or driving a train. So, everyone knows what the law is and the penalties regarding alcohol.

But, weed , dope or whatever has widely differing strengths and it would be almost impossible to know how much is in your system. You would not know how dangerous you would be driving a vehicle...

You can buy single use alcohol tests( mandatory in vehicles in France ) but nothing for Dope so I'm a No.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not as simple as legalise it or not.

In a perfect world we would have a competent, pro-active government who would model the short-term effects of legalisation to ensure they have the right infrastructure in place when the thing goes 'live' . In that scenario I would definitely say 'legalise it'.

However, this government would do no preparation whatsoever, the first 12 months would be horrific with people going crazy and the already over-stretched police, NHS, social services and parents left to pick up the pieces. I have two teenage kids and I don't smoke, so why would I want this legalised right now with all the other sh1t that's going on?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
They legalized it here in Canada.

In the years leading up to legalization, it was commonplace to see and smell weed everywhere, almost as a protest sign/people ramping us their use in knowing legalization was coming soon.

Now, a couple of years post, barely see or smell it, im not personally a fan of smoking weed, but people should be able to enjoy it if it's their thing.
Alcohol is far more dangerous.

Legally, treat use similarly to alcohol. Must not drive under the influence, or turn up to work high etc.
It works here. :shrug:

To sum up, yes legalize it, im not personally a fan of it, but here's evidence that legalization works.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd like to know more about how the driving issue before forming an opinion on the OP's question. I'd like to see more data about how cannabis affects a driver's ability to safely control their vehicle, and I'd like to know more about how practical it is to test drivers for cannabis use, how often these checks take place, and how aware cannabis users are of these things.

I was cycling behind a car a while ago and the fumes of weed emanating from the driver's window were pretty unmistakeable. I have no science to draw on here but I can't imagine that person was safe to be at the wheel of that vehicle.

It depends on height, weight, metabolic rate and if combined with alcohol.

https://keepmydrivinglicence.co.uk/2019/03/can-i-drive-after-smoking-cannabis/

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
back inmy youth we smoked our fair share, and some . . . most stuff was of a sensible strength and good quality . . . . that was dope, obviously imported

now all I ever smell out and about is weapons grade skunk, which is 2-3 time stronger . . .that needs controlling.

there's a big difference between grinning stoned playing guitar, having a laugh, and being semi comatose/psychologically freaked out.

legalizing it would bring control, and an element of safety, aswell as income so I'm all for it.

happy to go and negotiate a trade deal with Morocco and head up the quality control dept if needs be.

Last edited:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I would vote for legalisation, the current system is a huge boon for organised crime, I wouldn’t be surprised if those currently profiting were actively funding some of the “no to legalisation” organisations/policy think tanks.

Most of the arguments against are actually solved by legalisation. E.g. we don’t know what strength it is (well actually if it’s legally farmed, strength tested and labelled appropriately we do, and can therefore set appropriate limits on things like time before driving)

Nobody who wants to smoke weed is currently going without, and the people who are currently profiting from their product aren’t contributing a single penny to the mental health services that have to mop up when someone starts using weed as an answer to all life’s problems. The genie is never going back in the bottle, legalise it, tax it, and let’s have some money into public services or a cut in general taxation please.

Nobody is being deterred by the current system, but lots of people are making colossal profits, increasing street crime, and not putting anything back into the system.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
I'm based in Boston, the US where it's been legalized.

It's like turning up at an Apple store. They have an iPad with different menus and offer advice on what you might want. Edibles, infused spritzers, joints etc. It feels as normal as walking into an off-license and has definitely removed the stigma (my elderly neighbours go-to dispensary)

There were also social equity programs to get minority-owned businesses licensed.

Surreal thinking the very people now owning them could have (and sometimes did) long stretches in the US prison system for selling the same thing.

I only see positives in it being legalised.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
back inmy youth we smoked our fair share, and some . . . most stuff was of a sensible strength and good quality . . . . that was dope, obviously imported

now all I aver smell is weapons grade skunk, which is 2-3 time stronger . . .that needs controlling.

there's a big difference between grinning stoned playing guitar, having a laugh, and being semi comatose/psychologically freaked out.

legalizing it would bring control, and an element of safety, aswell as income so I'm all for it.

happy to go and negotiate a trade deal with Morocco and head up the quality control dept if needs be.

My thoughts exactly, except your last sentence, have zero interest in getting stoned these days :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Once they’ve invested a Weedometer and identified safe levels for driving and looking after vulnerable people I would be happy to sanction its use. Somehow we’ve got to take control away from the dealers who wreck so many people’s lives in so many ways.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What I don't get is that if you legalize it, what level of strength will they sell at or will they provide cannabis at whatever strength you want?

Also, if you can argue for the legalisation of weed why stop there, why not legalize coke or heroin etc etc.

There is a war on drugs but whilst it is far from having been won, it is also not lost. I don't know for certain but I'm guessing the Police would argue it's about throwing resources at the problem as opposed to what this government had done over the last 12 years!!!

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
What I don't get is that if you legalize it, what level of strength will they sell at or will they provide cannabis at whatever strength you want?

Also, if you can argue for the legalisation of weed why stop there, why not legalize coke or heroin etc etc.

There is a war on drugs but whilst it is far from having been won, it is also not lost. I don't know for certain but I'm guessing the Police would argue it's about throwing resources at the problem as opposed to what this government had done over the last 12 years!!!

The war on drugs has been irretrievably lost, and was never winnable. Both supply and demand have grown over the years. The market exists and is persistent across generations.

It’s an established business with established supply lines and distribution networks, that because of its prohibited status currently enjoys the perks of being tax-free with the benefit of not having to comply with any legislation relating to product quality, product safety, or employees rights. It’s the best business in the world atm, and I don’t doubt it’s lobbying in every way it can to ensure that the current situation continues.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The war on drugs has been irretrievably lost, and was never winnable. Both supply and demand have grown over the years. The market exists and is persistent across generations.

It’s an established business with established supply lines and distribution networks, that because of its prohibited status currently enjoys the perks of being tax-free with the benefit of not having to comply with any legislation relating to product quality, product safety, or employees rights. It’s the best business in the world atm, and I don’t doubt it’s lobbying in every way it can to ensure that the current situation continues.

That's the second of your posts on this thread that I agree with, 100%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here