Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Northampton 30th September 1967

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I'm trying to find the actual team line-ups for this match. I can see what was in the programme for the day but as we all know, what was in the programme and who actually played were very often different. For example, my memory tells me that Brian Powney was in goal, although the programme says Tony Burns (but I may be wrong!).

I've looked at all sorts of websites online and can't find anything. Please can anyone suggest anywhere else to look?

By the way, the Albion lost 2-0 :annoyed:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Tony Burns
Wilf Tranter
George Dalton
John Templeman
John Napier
DaveTurner
Wally Gould
Nobby Lawton
Eric Whitington
Charlie Livesey
Brian Tawse

Sub: Howard Wilkinson

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm trying to find the actual team line-ups for this match. I can see what was in the programme for the day but as we all know, what was in the programme and who actually played were very often different. For example, my memory tells me that Brian Powney was in goal, although the programme says Tony Burns (but I may be wrong!).

I've looked at all sorts of websites online and can't find anything. Please can anyone suggest anywhere else to look?

Honestly, who remembers who played in goal in a Division 3 or 4 match from 55 years ago?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
According to Tim Carder's book:

1. Burns
2. Tranter
3. Dalton
4. Templeman
5. Napier, J.
6. Turner
7. Gould
8. Lawton
9. Whitington (Wilkinson)
10. Livesey
11. Tawse

12. Wilkinson

Don't know where you'd find the Northampton line-up. but if you're really keen you could check the Evening Argus archives at a library.

EDIT: Dammit - Albion Roar beat me to it after I went to all that effor to look it up!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Screenshot_20220406-165925_Chrome.jpg

Charlie Livesey definitely played :lolol:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

The following away game at Grimsby, Burns got injured and Charlie Livesey went in goal for the 2nd half

Powney played in the next game and kept a clean sheet 0-0 at Peterborough

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Tony Burns
Wilf Tranter
George Dalton
John Templeman
John Napier
DaveTurner
Wally Gould
Nobby Lawton
Eric Whitington
Charlie Livesey
Brian Tawse

Sub: Howard Wilkinson

Thanks guys. Just what I need. I’m not interested in the Cobblers line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks guys. Just what I need. I’m not interested in the Cobblers line up.

I was probably at that game - although I don't remember it specifically. (Look at the shirts though! Proper Brighton shirts!) Just out of interest, why are you so keen to know? There's no sub-text or snide undertones to that question, I'm just genuinely interested why you want to know the exact line up for a humdrum league game from nearly 60 years ago.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This was Northampton Town on their crashing descent.

In 1961, they were in the Fourth Division. By 1965, there were in the top division. By 1969, they were back in the Fourth.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I was probably at that game - although I don't remember it specifically. (Look at the shirts though! Proper Brighton shirts!) Just out of interest, why are you so keen to know? There's no sub-text or snide undertones to that question, I'm just genuinely interested why you want to know the exact line up for a humdrum league game from nearly 60 years ago.

It was the first game that I went to and I am putting together a framed montage to go on my wall. I’ve got an illustration of the kits from John Devlin of @truecolourskits, a programme, that picture of Charlie Livesey, and I wanted to include the actual team and the attendance (13,546).

Regarding the kits, I doubt that the two worn on that day would be allowed these days. White sleeves, shorts and socks on both teams!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is a pretty good chance this was my first match aged 6…..’I remember Ron Flowers looking every inch the quality player he obviously was even as a kid. I hope I’ve got the game right….. when the Albion bought out their Christmas Coasters a few years back the programme for this game was one of the 4 prints

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
This was Northampton Town on their crashing descent.

In 1961, they were in the Fourth Division. By 1965, there were in the top division. By 1969, they were back in the Fourth.

Didn't Huddersfield do something similar, around that time?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I have always remembered this game because it was the only home game I had to miss that season - I was forced to go to a wedding by my parents. We had just lost a big top of the table game in midweek against (believe it or not) Torquay, watched by nearly 20,000.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
It was the first game that I went to and I am putting together a framed montage to go on my wall. I’ve got an illustration of the kits from John Devlin of @truecolourskits, a programme, that picture of Charlie Livesey, and I wanted to include the actual team and the attendance (13,546).

Regarding the kits, I doubt that the two worn on that day would be allowed these days. White sleeves, shorts and socks on both teams!

I wonder if Northampton were wearing yellow and maroon.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
No. All white with maroon hoops!

Ah, the only match I ever attended at the Goldstone was Northampton and they wore Yellow with Maroon trim. I suppose they had got stricter with colours by the late 80's

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here