Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New gas/heating prices

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Hi all,

Haven't got a smartmeter here as we only moved in 3 months ago.....

We're trying to work out bits by taking a morning and evening reading and working it out.......but.....

...we can't find the NEW price for gas and electric from EDF, or, it seems, anyone else.

It all seems a bit fudged if you look online for the unit price from the current supplier. We're on the standard variable, having just moved.

Any links please to the current and new prices?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm pretty sure you just give them your bank details and at the end of the month they take everything in your account.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm pretty sure you just give them your bank details and at the end of the month they take everything in your account.

My brother just moved into a new flat , not sure how his power bills work but he said they are on a set rate which has gone up from 125 quid a month to 268 quid , so yeah , you're about right.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I am with British Gas, on the default variable rate and as of yet, not had my payments put up or any contact from BG to do so. I am unable to manually up the DD amounts either due to a 'technical issue.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My fixed rate tariff is coming to an end soon and EDF have just sent me a reminder along with estimates for a new fixed rate deal ( fook that an extra £2k a year!) or the standard tariff ( more than my current deal but less than a new fixed term deal). Now I'm a little confused as on the Web it says that the new standard capped rate for electricity is 29.48p per unit for the South East but EDF's standard unit variable rate they want to charge is 37.2p per unit. Can they charge that or am I missing something?

Screenshot_20220412-224120.jpg
Screenshot_20220412_224630_com.edf.mobile.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
How the **** can they justify putting the standing charge up?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
We are with EDF on standard variable tariff for both electricity and gas.
The latest charges for electricity from April 1st are.
Standing charge per day 41.66p from 24.04p
Unit rate pence per kilowatt hour 29.49p from 21.56p this represents a 42.7% increase.

Gas prices from April 1st are.
Standing charge pence per day 27.22p from 26.12p
Unit rate pence per Kilowatt hour 7.319 from 4.053p this represents a 63.7% increase.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’m with EDF for electricity after being transferred after my supplier went bust. I’m paying the same as the above poster.

They did set me up with a smart meter soon after I transferred, I arranged it online which may be useful for OP, they installed it within a week of my request which was impressive. Aside from that from that dealing with EDF has not been easy. I’ve had trouble trying to get them to take a realistic DD amount monthly.
They overestimate the amount each month and then refund me the difference each month! Then they do a review at the end of the month and overestimate again and then have to refund again. I’ve tried talking to them but it’s like talking to a brick wall.

I’ve reverted to using the app in the last month and requesting a review of their end of month review, and this lowers my DD. It’s a performance doing this every month.

Still the interest they must be making on holding peoples money for 7 days before refunding is a money spinner for EDF.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here