Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Graham Potter the new Bobby Houghton?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter is out of his depth at PL level? :nono:

I think I’ll be doing us all a favour if I stop posting anything Albion related on NSC

I think I’m going to try and become a silent lurker on all things Albion for a while :smile:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ultimately it’s a results business if we look in real danger of being relegated next season he will go. Luckily we have enough points this season. It’s quite obvious it’s not working we can’t open teams up and put them on the ropes, even the worst sides in the league.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn't Bob Houghton on a hiding to nothing taking over Bristol City when he did? They'd be relegated from the top flight, were in serious dire straights financially and were at the start of a freefall that took them all the way to the bottom division in straight seasons. Not sure its a fair comparison at all.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
few weeks back he was being linked with the top jobs and we were dreaming (ish) of a European push and now this, tough life this management lark. Oh and no, he's a good manager / head coach

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Houghton coached Malmo to the 1979 European Cup final and failed as manager of Bristol City

Well?

Let's hope so.

I'd love Albion to reach the European Cup final.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
WTF?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ultimately it’s a results business if we look in real danger of being relegated next season he will go. Luckily we have enough points this season. It’s quite obvious it’s not working we can’t open teams up and put them on the ropes, even the worst sides in the league.

30 odd chances isn’t opening a team up?

Oh they were all outside the box weren’t they…even the penalty :facepalm:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
30 odd chances isn’t opening a team up?

Oh they were all outside the box weren’t they…even the penalty :facepalm:
I don’t quite get what your trying to defend here? It’s ok to say we are shit when it’s warranted. Three against two four against three attacking with pace is what I call opening up a team not let everyone get back in position and having a shot.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its not an understatement to say that we have'nt been very good recently, but we are still able to finish in the highest position the club has ever been. We are 12 points above the relegation places with 8 games remaining, we havent once looked like we were being relegated this year, and prior to this run, we were seriously being talked of as a possible European contender,. So no .

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I don’t quite get what your trying to defend here? It’s ok to say we are shit when it’s warranted. Three against two four against three attacking with pace is what I call opening up a team not let everyone get back in position and having a shot.

This. We can have as many shots as we like, if we’ve allowed the opposing defence to get back and organise themselves, we’re very unlikely to score a goal from those shots.

I’m glad we’re registering shots, but reading in the Telegraph that GP said “The build-up suggests we’re getting there” fills me with gloom, because it suggests he intends to persist with his current style of attacking play, and I don’t believe it can be effective in the Premier League unless you’ve got Messi cloned in triplicate as your front 3.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

You can only get to those stats you require if the opposition put numbers forward themselves, you can't attack 4 against 3 when the opposition put masses behind the ball...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's where we are shit that's important. Fans need something to blame, I get that. The simplest route to that is to blame the manager for; a) tactics b) team selection c) use of subs. However to say Saturday we didn't 'open a team up' is faintly ridiculous when we created a complete variety of 30 odd chances. 30. Including a penalty. They weren't all with 20 players in the box, or outside the box, or crosses, or set pieces, it was a complete mix selection of chances – to which the conclusion is our players lack belief and confidence and/or quality to finish chances. That is the shit part. You just cannot play a game of football, have 30 chances and blame the type of them. Watch the game back - most PL teams are winning that 2 nil or better.

Any criticism of Potter right now isn't really about tactics or selection, it's about that magic wand impact of getting players to believe in themselves again and to regain some kind of form and confidence in front of goal. There isn't something tactically wrong when you keep a clean sheet and create 30 chances. What is wrong is scoring, whether that is quality, confidence or belief.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

That’s a bit harsh because we did it earlier in the season when all fully fit and on form we just lack depth in the squad certainly at cb now and up front rectify that in the summer and we will cause teams a lot of problems

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Sorry. The point I was trying to maker is that Houghton was obviously a good coach but totally out of his depth coaching in English League football.

I can’t believe you are actually a Brighton fan with some of the stuff you post. We are two points off the top ten in the PL with 8 games to go. Is his third season and he has both set and then equalled our record PL points tally in his first two. And you ask is he out of his depth? Seriously what absolute nonsense is this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here