Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] (Late) Player ratings Brighton vs Norwich

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Robert Sanchez 6 or 7 or something - nowt to do

Tariq Lamptey 6 - won a few free kicks, decent defending but could have done more with the amount of ball and space he had

Lewis Dunk 7 - other than a late mistake he was good, wasnt tested too much

Joel Veltman 8 - had a bit more to do than Lewis and did some excellent challenges and interceptions while also frequently going forward

Marc Cucurella 7 - its too bad he isnt half as good with the ball as without it but as usual he worked hard in both directions
Pascal Gross 7 - did well

Alexis Mac Allister 8 - I've got mixed feelings about his "shoot on sight" philosophy but other than that he was brilliant and not for one second did I miss Bissouma

Leandro Trossard 7 - sometimes overcomplicating it, sometimes doing very tidy stuff. Overall one of his better games in recent months and his form seems to be slowly recovering.

Solly March 7 - good old Solly always plays with purpose and intent and doesnt like alibi stuff which unfortunately results in too slow decision making sometimes, but overall he had a good game setting up Cucurella multiple times as well as doing some good crosses

Danny Welbeck 6 - he was ok but post-game reactions on NSC sort of proves that the best way to avoid critisism is to hide for large parts of the game. Not bad but with 25+ Brighton crosses I'd expect him to get the head on one or two.

Neal Maupay 7 - the penalty miss was dross stuff, a keeper save is acceptable but I hate when penalty takers put it over the bar. Other than that he linked up nicely, found good positions and worked his arse off as usual. IMO a bad decision to sub him.

Subs all played too little but Sarmiento looked good while Mwepu looked lost

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Sanchez 6 - nothing to do
Lamptey 5 - looks like the pace has gone, doesn't threaten behind anymore
Veltman 8 - Mom, everywhere in the absence of a marauding centre back
Dunk 7 - better on the ball this week
Cucurella 6 - ordinary
Mac Allister - 7 controlling, at least had go
Trossard - 6 - a few nice bits of footwork but little else
Gross - 6 - tidy
March - 7 - some fight and drive in there
Welbeck 5 - anonymous
Maupay 3 - absolute shocker

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Robert Sanchez 6 or 7 or something - nowt to do

Tariq Lamptey 6 - won a few free kicks, decent defending but could have done more with the amount of ball and space he had

Lewis Dunk 7 - other than a late mistake he was good, wasnt tested too much

Joel Veltman 8 - had a bit more to do than Lewis and did some excellent challenges and interceptions while also frequently going forward

Marc Cucurella 7 - its too bad he isnt half as good with the ball as without it but as usual he worked hard in both directions
Pascal Gross 7 - did well

Alexis Mac Allister 8 - I've got mixed feelings about his "shoot on sight" philosophy but other than that he was brilliant and not for one second did I miss Bissouma

Leandro Trossard 7 - sometimes overcomplicating it, sometimes doing very tidy stuff. Overall one of his better games in recent months and his form seems to be slowly recovering.

Solly March 7 - good old Solly always plays with purpose and intent and doesnt like alibi stuff which unfortunately results in too slow decision making sometimes, but overall he had a good game setting up Cucurella multiple times as well as doing some good crosses

Danny Welbeck 6 - he was ok but post-game reactions on NSC sort of proves that the best way to avoid critisism is to hide for large parts of the game. Not bad but with 25+ Brighton crosses I'd expect him to get the head on one or two.

Neal Maupay 7 - the penalty miss was dross stuff, a keeper save is acceptable but I hate when penalty takers put it over the bar. Other than that he linked up nicely, found good positions and worked his arse off as usual. IMO a bad decision to sub him.

Subs all played too little but Sarmiento looked good while Mwepu looked lost

You are obviously a very generous person.
My 3 Maupay highlights were: -
1. Miskicking a chance in the area sideways to Welbeck, who also miskicked it.
2. Blazing a penalty over the bar
3. Hitting a decent chance into the side netting from 8 yards out.

So, 3, not 7, for Maupay.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Robert Sanchez 6 nothing to do
Tariq Lamptey 6 - a couple of moments that looked like he might one day be a threat again, but not just yet.
Lewis Dunk 6 - His slip up would have cost us against an even slightly better team (well not us obviously, but you know what I mean)
Joel Veltman 7 - Decent as always - Krull's save is just how our luck's going at the moment
Marc Cucurella 7 - very good, but less of a threat going forward in a 4 - we need Webster back, sharpish.
Pascal Gross 6 - Ok as always, but not what we need anymore, (unless a Murray replacement lands in our laps)
Alexis Mac Allister 7.5 Man of the match - Hopefully he picks up the penalty responsibility from now on/
Leandro Trossard 6.5 - Better than he's been for us for along time. Still looks to hold onto the ball for too long, but his flick to free up Solly in the first half was very pretty.
Solly March 6.5 - Dependable as ever some good crosses, a couple of aimless ones, nice bit of fight in the second half too. I love him.
Danny Welbeck 6 - Really should have been more of a menace - 31 shots, and I think only one or two were his.
Neal Maupay 4 - Penalty aside, he had a pretty poor game. Adding that into the mix and it was ****ing awful.

Mwepu 6 - pretty meh, but coming back from injury is a huge plus
Sarmiento 6- sure he looks exciting, but did he actually do anything that Trossard isn't already doing better. - One for the future definitely, but think there are too many of us clutching at straws on yesterday's performance.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Robert Sanchez: 6 - A day off for him. Norwich set-up defensively knowing we wouldn’t score but that they may well take one of the couple of chances they’d create against us (Palace style). They failed to work Sanchez which their tow Albion style horrific shots.

Tariq Lamptey: 5 - Along with his acceleration and pace, his confidence has now gone too. When he gets the ball, he’ll normally play it straight back to a centre back. Utterly depressing after his pre-injury form, he looks half the player. His dreams of England and a transfer to a top 6 club are in tatters but he is still good enough for us. Unlucky to be booked.

Lewis Dunk: 6 - Had nothing to do but that was not down to anything he did, Norwich rarely broke out of their half. When they did in the 2nd half, his kamikaze tackle let the Norwich player go and they almost made us pay. He should have been more vocal (like Webster & Lallana are) and could have been more of a threat from set-pieces. His worst EPL season for us? His blind followers will still vote him POTS.

Joel Veltman: 7 - Better than Dunk but had the row ‘Z’ers in the south stand ducking for cover every time he looked like shooting.

Marc Cucurella: 7 - Much better than poor Lamptey but could not find that worldie cross to break Norwich hearts.

Pascal Groß: 7 - Fine, but no goal threat and hasn’t been for years. Will never score again for us sadly.

Alexis Mac Allister: 8 - Best player on show. Full or energy, creativity and determination but his shooting was off a bit. He could have been the hero but could not hit the target.

Leandro Trossard: 7 - Really liked his skill in the box, such a shame the Norwich defenders didn’t wipe him out and had us a penalty, I know that Dunk or Veltman would have if the roles were reversed. However, he wasn’t really a threat to their goal. At 10 goals+ a season, he’d be a £50m player. Sadly, his shooting is generally poor and he’ll never hit double figures in a top league.

Solly March: 6 - Fed up with him. Slows down our game so much, and almost always turns back and passes the ball to Cucu. Time to move him on with Mitoma and Sarmiento doing his job next season. His goals and assists are too rare.

Danny Welbeck: 6 - Needs a run of games playing 90mins to get back in the saddle. Little more than average.

Neal Maupay: 7 - Good all round game, never lacks effort but he’ll be distraught he missed another penalty 2 pointer. Well done to Potter for trusting him with the spot kick, that is the only way to get the lads confidence back, however it didn’t work. Undav already starts ahead of him for me in August.

Sarmiento: 7 - No fear. Truly inspiring. But he’ll get that as he grows older, he only needs to look at terrified Lamptey for inspiration, he’ll soon be passing back to his defenders constantly.

Moder: N/A - Poor guy, hope he is fit for August but I doubt it. Christmas will probably be too soon.

Mwepu: 6 - OK Computer (but not enough to start against Arsenal).

Potter: 8 - Blessed with the worst group of players for scoring and shooting I’ve ever seen in Albion shirts. Needs to let about a half dozen attackers and midfielders go in the summer and take their banjos to another barn door.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sanchez - 6
Lamptey - 6
Cucurella - 7
Dunk - 7
Veltman - 7
Gross - 7
March - 6
MacAllister - 8
Trossard - 6.5 - turned up on 60 mins, after the mazy dribble
Welbeck - 5 - less of a threat than Maupay
Maupay - 6 - poor finishing, but he did get into the position

Moder - gutted for him
Mwepu - absolutely terrible in the short time he was on - N/A
Sarmiento - so much promise

Potter - 5 - strange substitutions / surprised he didn’t intervene on the pen given Maupay’s struggles.

Hooper - 8 - never thought I’d say it, but he had a good game…..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
.Neal Maupay: 7 - Good all round game, never lacks effort but he’ll be distraught he missed another penalty 2 pointer. Well done to Potter for trusting him with the spot kick, that is the only way to get the lads confidence back,

Surely you aren't being serious? It was a shocking decision to let Maupay take the penalty. He doesn't need the pressure of penalty taking to get his confidence back. MacAllister should have taken it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In order of rating:

Mac Allister - 8.5 outstanding in the tackle, driving us forward, finding his man.

Cucurella 7
March 7
Veltman 7
Trossard 7
Sarmiento 7

Lamptey 6.5
Gross 6.5

Sanchez 6

Dunk 5 A trademark blunder, most EPL teams would’ve buried that opening.

Maupay 4 Wrong decisions throughout, zero composure.
Welbeck 4

Mwepu - hard to say, didn’t appear to get in the game imho.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sanchez 6 - difficult to look good when the opposition barely have a shot
Lamptey 7 - poor first half but much more attacking second. Telling how often he had Maupay in front of him on the wing but chose to carry out the attack himself or cross in to the box - has he lost conifdence in Maupay ?
Veltman 7 - Solid enough - could have scored
Dunk 7 - Not a huge amount to do
Cucurella 8 - my MOM and currently my favourite player. Always looks like he wants to attack. Always links up well with March.
Mac Allister - 7 looked like our best central attacker
Trossard - 5 - always seems to take a touch or two too many and thus gets closed down
Gross - 6 - anonymous
March - 7 - he takes a slating on here but always feel he might do something and at least knows where the box is. Too much sloppy passing though.
Welbeck 6 - if he'd had the support suspect he could have won it for us
Maupay 2 - well out of his comfort zone. Constantly out of position and unable to hit a barn door the size of Gemma Collins arse. If he's our best striker next season then we will go down. Time for an upgrade ( and yes I know how difficult, and unlikely, that is ).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sanchez 6 Usually would give 7 for clean sheet but cant justify mom.
Lampty 5 Never went passed FB once and got into a March and stops and passed back. What happened to player who used to get in box Appreciate we were pushing for a winner but a point was vital to us so at that stage should have been aware of wide player who nearly scored.
Veltman 7 Good game
Dunk 6 Little to do. Very poor mistake when they nearly scored and we nearly lost a valuable point.
Cucurella 6 Not long ago played such good balls to feet to players in and around box. To be fair Mac, March and Gross didnt take up these positions in the same way Moda and Lalana did
Gross 6 Ok but never makes a difference
Mac 6 Still waiting for when I can say he dominated the game. Sorry but for a PL player to have so many shots off target is very poor. Maybe Lalana was coaching this week
March 4 Just so predictable. Would help if he occasionally cut into box and also looked up before he crossed
Trossard 7 My not have had enough shots but so many times by skill lost defender passed ball and move petered out
Maupay 3 Good movement before penalty then nothing. Biggest joke when he had a good chance which he miscued but straight to Welbeck who also missed.
Welbeck 5 Senior player needed to step up. Both front 2 looking for ball ahead my he should have looked more to receive with back to goal and bring others into play

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sanchez 0
Lamptey 0
Veltman 0
Dunk 0
Cucurella 0
Mac Allister 0
Trossard 0
Gross 0
March 0
Welbeck 0
Maupay 0

We failed, for the second time this season, to even score a goal against the shitest team in the league,

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Some shocking marks for Trossard here,
He seemed to be involved in pretty much everything good that we did.
Not surprised he's looking to move on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sanchez 0
Lamptey 0
Veltman 0
Dunk 0
Cucurella 0
Mac Allister 0
Trossard 0
Gross 0
March 0
Welbeck 0
Maupay 0

We failed, for the second time this season, to even score a goal against the shitest team in the league,

And because we failed to score you give the goalkeeper a 0???

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sanchez 6
Lamptey 5 Either his confidence or hamstrings are shot. Hopefully it's not permanent
Veltman 7.5 MoM & deserved a goal too
Dunk 6
Cucurella 6
Mac Allister 7
Trossard 7
Gross 6
March 5.5
Welbeck 5.5
Maupay 5.5

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Sanchez 6 - wasn't really tested so gets an average by default
Lamptey 5 - Take the player on ... has now caught the "double back" virus rife at Brighton
Veltman 7 - good game
Dunk 6 - decent but does slow play down
Cucurella 6 - Not quite the player he was earlier in the season
Mac Allister 7 Our best player
Trossard 5 - Has he completely lost faith in his team mates, wants to do it all himself
Gross 6 - OK but just too slow
March 6 - OK but double back and too slow
Welbeck 5 - a bit pah..
Maupay 5 - he tried but my god running on zero confidence

Norwich were awful so need to look at the score in perspective not really great were are simply too slow and do not drive towards the goal

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Dunno what game some ppl watched by Welbeck was 9 outta 10 if he got better service would help but he never stops running amd puts the effort in. MOM by a million miles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here