Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women’s football, do you watch it?

Women’s football, do you watch it?

• Yes, love it

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 154 65.5%
  • Dip in and out

Votes: 67 28.5%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well?

I don’t, just cannot get into it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dip in and out. Have tickets to see the England group game and the QF Euro games this summer at The Amex. That’s mainly for my 10 year old daughter who is very into her sport (football, cricket and netball mainly) to see some top level womens football.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
no,but I struggle to even watch the men's these days.proper football stopped around 20 years ago.today football is about falling over,cheating and playing with your hair

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Women’s football to me is like when the Olympics are on and you find yourself watching a sport that you barely understand the rules for but really get behind the British team/competitor. I’ll watch it if it’s on and enthusiastically support England (never seen the Albion women on telly), but generally don’t go out of my way or have anythinf like the emotional investment I have in the Albion and England men’s teams.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I will watch whatever men's football is on the telly from 4.30 on Sunday and from 7.30 in the evening the rest of the week, and whatever happens to be the better standard of entertainment available (i.e., Championship trumps National League, albeit doing a bit of gardening will likely trump the National league).

I am even worse with men's rugby having never watched a game all the way through. Not even a world cup final. And men's cricket - not watched a game since I went to the county ground in around 1972 (and was told off because 'the advertisers are complaining about the boys obsucuring the hoardings - would they please move').

So, the bottom line is that like many sports, women's football doesn't really interest me, and it doesn't bother me that it doesn't.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This won’t come across well so apologies in advance…..

The level is ordinary and whilst improving is a long way off even County League IMO…..
The level of goalkeeping is laughable at times, other than of course Megan Walsh…..

All of that said…..

I follow ’ England and will try and catch the team in major tournaments.

In terms of the Albion, I really am interested in them and want them to do well, but have only been once. I have watched them on TV and although it’s not a great product, neither was the football at Withdean, Priestfield and the Goldstone at times, so I watch.

Where I probably go wrong is trying to compare it to mens football, as it really isn’t comparable and even the clientele watching is different. There is a place for it and I hope it continues to progress, and Brighton unearth the next Lucy Bronze….

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep. Off to the Pan for the 12:00 ko today. Much more ‘honest’ game without playacting and timewasting, standards are rapidly rising, easy travel, good food and can have a pint whilst I’m watching. Have got tickets for the Euro matches at the Amex.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I have a feeling it's something you only watch if you have a vested interest in it. If you know someone playing or have girls in the family that play etc. I'm glad it's becoming more popular purely for the sake of equality but I doubt many people watch it because they enjoy it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Occasionally yes.

I don't give much of a shit about the level of football, much more interested in the level of excitement. I'd rather watch Stockport playing a tight, even battle against Wrexham than seeing Manchester City or Liverpool stomp Burnley or Watford. I much prefer watching my local Swedish 7th tier team battle off against some team compared to watching Real Madrid jog to three points against Alaves.

Same goes for women's football. Dont care about the quality as long as it is exciting and entertaining. Watching Barcelona Femeni play in the league where they have a goal record of 144-8 after 26 games does nothing for me while watching evenly matched teams go against eachother in the WSL is often great fun. Unfortunately in women's football there is still often a huge difference between the good and the bad so there are less number of exciting games but I think this will change over time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a feeling it's something you only watch if you have a vested interest in it. If you know someone playing or have girls in the family that play etc. I'm glad it's becoming more popular purely for the sake of equality but I doubt many people watch it because they enjoy it.

Possibly true up to a point, but I suspect many who start watching it because of a vested interest become directly interested as a result.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Occasionally yes.

I don't give much of a shit about the level of football, much more interested in the level of excitement. I'd rather watch Stockport playing a tight, even battle against Wrexham than seeing Manchester City or Liverpool stomp Burnley or Watford. I much prefer watching my local Swedish 7th tier team battle off against some team compared to watching Real Madrid jog to three points against Alaves.

Same goes for women's football. Dont care about the quality as long as it is exciting and entertaining. Watching Barcelona Femeni play in the league where they have a goal record of 144-8 after 26 games does nothing for me while watching evenly matched teams go against eachother in the WSL is often great fun. Unfortunately in women's football there is still often a huge difference between the good and the bad so there are less number of exciting games but I think this will change over time.

Not so sure…….it’s risking going increasingly the same way as the men’s game, with the financial gap between the top few teams and the rest being more and more reflected on the pitch. There is a huge gulf in playing budgets between some of the teams in T2 (which is why Liverpool have already won the league and only conceded 6 goals all season). Interesting to see how things develop as more money floods in over the next few years

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Over the years I've watched probably 10 games - all on the telly. The first couple of games (many moons ago) I thought were totally laughable and didn't watch again until the recent world cup when I watched a few games. I enjoyed those games, thought that the standard had improved beyond all measure and also thought 'I really must watch some more games'. I haven't done so. Perhaps I should.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Although we lost 1-0, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. Man U are a decent side and we gave them a game, albeit mostly defensive, but a very good defensive display, marred only by an arguable goalkeeping error. Startup (our goalie) made a superb save later to keep it at 1-0. We huffed and puffed in the last 10 minutes, but never really troubled their keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here