Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] If you could 'reset' Britain, which historic point would you go back to?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1970s, but without the prejudice and discrimination.

I look back over my Dad's diaries and we were always at relations at doing stuff locally. It seemed that folk got to know each other back then. Everything seemed less regimented.

Of course, that's a good time for an Albion fan as well.

Actually, a fusion of today's social enlightenment and the 70s simplicity would be pretty good.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, again, I don't mean re-living your past.

Maybe it's better to ask: when did Britain start going wrong? (If you believe it has)

I guess example checkpoints would be 1979 General Election, or 2013 (?) when Cameron promised an EU referendum.

Some might pick dates before the rise or fall of the British Empire...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting to pick 1913 when the British Empire was on its peak and had enslaved a quarter of the world.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
978. Elthered the Unready becomes king.

I just can’t shake off the feeling we weren’t really ready for this.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not get involved in WW1

The war was in the east , the Germans only invaded France to stop them supplying the Russians .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Mid 1950s so we could all have another go and getting it right post WW2 and I could later refuse to allow my kids to take the packaging off their Star Wars toys!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Where has anyone British picked 1913 as the year they'd like to reset their country's history to?

Ahh my bad, I thought you meant Russia as in that the Russian Empire was of that size but now I read the first post again and realise what you mean.

For me, anywhere in the world, I'd go to the early 90s and rip the throats off from anyone suggesting digitalisation of society.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Probably back to the 16th Century, and then have a good chat about colonization. If we didn't colonize Ireland, N. America/Caribbean, and then get started in the slave trade around that time, I would probably be more proud to be English. European imperialism is perhaps the most shameful epoch in human history, and we, of course, live with its ramifications today. Without imperialism we don't get capitalism, which is almost inevitably going to lead to mass extinction in a couple of decades.

This cheery thinking was sponsored, in part, by BHA not scoring at home since effing January.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
The night that Stanley rolled into Mrs Johnson and begat Boris or Alexander or pffifell or whatever his stupid name is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here