Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Public transport to Reigate, what the ...?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Our girls rugby team is playing in Reigate tomorrow and we were short of people offering lifts. I looked up public transport and a train takes an hour and 45 minutes. If I factor in the time it takes to get a bus to the station, it would take me more than three hours to get to place that's about 30 miles away.

How on earth can such a short journey, in the fifth richest nation on Earth take so long. It would have been quicker in the Victorian age, I reckon.

Fortunately, I've managed to blag a lift this morning, but that journey time is bonkers

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Dunno where you’re travelling from but if it is Brighton to Reigate there’s no direct route and it’s a Sunday morning so connections are likely to be terrible. Is the actual time on trains not a lot but the time waiting to change trains huge?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, I meet old college mates in Reigate a few times a year. Always dread the journey.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah, I meet old college mates in Reigate a few times a year. Always dread the journey.

I commuted there from Portslade for two years.

This was pre-Covid and if the connections worked out it was pretty decent. If one single thing went wrong it was horrendous. Very often found myself doing Portslade to Haywards Heath, Haywards Heath to Gatwick, Gatwick to Redhill, Redhill to Reigate and a journey time of nearly 2 hours.

I suspect GWR have reduced their Gatwick - Reading service since the pandemic making it even worse.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I commuted there from Portslade for two years.

This was pre-Covid and if the connections worked out it was pretty decent. If one single thing went wrong it was horrendous. Very often found myself doing Portslade to Haywards Heath, Haywards Heath to Gatwick, Gatwick to Redhill, Redhill to Reigate and a journey time of nearly 2 hours.

I suspect GWR have reduced their Gatwick - Reading service since the pandemic making it even worse.

Very likely.
It’s the time the journey takes that annoys me. Two hours for a journey that takes 40 mins to drive. It’s just one of those faffy rail routes unfortunately.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If we built the public transport infrustruxrure people still would use. People are inherently lazy and would want a train or bus stop outside their house. And even then…

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt this a combination of connections and rail replacement bus?

i suppose the latter wasnt a problem in Victorian times as they'd just built it. cant do much about connections, unless we expect trains from every station every 5 minutes, 10% full off peak. fact is off the major point to point routes public transport will always be poor time wise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If we built the public transport infrustruxrure people still would use. People are inherently lazy and would want a train or bus stop outside their house. And even then…

For the ridiculous prices the rail companies charge I would like a quicker and permanent resolution to the mistakes and failings that are ongoing and continuous.

Problem is, we are a small country and can’t build a new rail system alongside the existing one. And we can’t shut it all down at once to upgrade so it’s done piecemeal, as and when, by repair rather than upgrade. Like trying to change a car tyre while it’s still driving.

I don’t agree that people are lazy. And I can’t understand your first sentence. What is it you’re trying to say?

“If we built the public transport infrastructure people would still use”.

I don’t know what that means.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Our girls rugby team is playing in Reigate tomorrow and we were short of people offering lifts. I looked up public transport and a train takes an hour and 45 minutes. If I factor in the time it takes to get a bus to the station, it would take me more than three hours to get to place that's about 30 miles away.

How on earth can such a short journey, in the fifth richest nation on Earth take so long. It would have been quicker in the Victorian age, I reckon.

Fortunately, I've managed to blag a lift this morning, but that journey time is bonkers

Looks like the issue is getting to Gatwick as the train from Gatwick to Reigate takes only 19 minutes

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't drive so that's not an option.
I'm not expecting a station on my doorstep but something a bit speedier would be handy. I know it's not going to be quick but three hours is ridiculous

Like I said, I'm sorted now. I have a spreadsheet of how I'm getting 16 girls and three coaches to the ground and it's been like a Krypton Factor exercise getting it sorted. I've only cracked it because one of the girls dropped out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here