Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ordering Lateral Flow Tests

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Heads up …..

You can still order them for free on the government website.

I have just ordered one box

We tried on April 1 and none were available (unless 'clinically vulnerable'). We were just charged a tenner for a pack of 5. Made in Germany.

I can't see people on typical income bothering with this next time they feel ill.

An 'accepteble level of death' is here now by the look of it. ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you make it so people can’t test then people can’t test positive.

If people can’t test positive then there’s no more cases, hospitalisations or deaths related to COVID.

If there’s no cases, hospitalisations or deaths then hey presto, pandemic over! Then the Government can get on with what they want to be doing like flogging off the NHS.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
need to look at the excess death rate, its at or below the 5 year average.

Yes, because lots of excess people have already died. That wasn't my point though.

My point is that the vulnerable have now been thrown under a bus because the rest of us will soon be, if we aren't already, ignoring symptoms and not testing, facilitating the spread to the vulnerable. The risk of death with age and specific comorbidities is fully determined, and these people should be protected properly. They are not.

I am not personally at risk (despite my age, 63) since I am triple vaxxed and have already had Covid and it didn't affect me greatly so, I am of course guilty of being concerned on behalf of others (a NSC no-no, apparently).

Johnson will be fine, though, because a significant majority will be primarily focused on enjoying the return of freedom, and the tax bonus Sunak can now afford to lavish upon us.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, because lots of excess people have already died. That wasn't my point though.

My point is that the vulnerable have now been thrown under a bus because the rest of us will soon be, if we aren't already, ignoring symptoms and not testing, facilitating the spread to the vulnerable. The risk of death with age and specific comorbidities is fully determined, and these people should be protected properly. They are not.

I am not personally at risk (despite my age, 63) since I am triple vaxxed and have already had Covid and it didn't affect me greatly so, I am of course guilty of being concerned on behalf of others (a NSC no-no, apparently).

Johnson will be fine, though, because a significant majority will be primarily focused on enjoying the return of freedom, and the tax bonus Sunak can now afford to lavish upon us.

100% this. The government are now paying lip service to the whole thing.

My wife, formerly known as a Clinically Extremely Vulnerable person, is now just known as "at higher risk" of Covid has just received an letter inviting her, as a vulnerable person, to have a booster (her 6th vaccine). They have closed the local vaccine centre in Sittingbourne. the hospital she is having her cancer treatment in Maidstone are not carrying out boosters, our GP's can't help, so she has had to revert to the online system - which kindly offered her an appointment in Southend, a 112 mile round trip...

It's clearly now all too much trouble, and as has been so callously pointed out earlier, we are now running at below excess deaths, so what's the problem!

It seems that the vulnerable don't count - they are going to die anyway... maybe just a little early.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My wife, formerly known as a Clinically Extremely Vulnerable person, is now just known as "at higher risk" of Covid has just received an letter inviting her, as a vulnerable person, to have a booster (her 6th vaccine). They have closed the local vaccine centre in Sittingbourne. the hospital she is having her cancer treatment in Maidstone are not carrying out boosters, our GP's can't help, so she has had to revert to the online system - which kindly offered her an appointment in Southend, a 112 mile round trip...

It's clearly now all too much trouble, and as has been so callously pointed out earlier, we are now running at below excess deaths, so what's the problem!

It seems that the vulnerable don't count - they are going to die anyway... maybe just a little early.

The app finds a solution 'as the crow flies' which for me, first time round, like your missus, is across the Thames. You may be able to give someone a call. Doorstepping the GP practice may help.

Good luck, and all the best, as always.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The app finds a solution 'as the crow flies' which for me, first time round, like your missus, is across the Thames. You may be able to give someone a call. Doorstepping the GP practice may help.e

Good luck, and all the best, as always.

Yep, I knew about the as the crow flies scenario, it’s just that when that’s the only option given it does make you feel a bit like no-one cares.

As for the GP don’t make me laugh, I have tried on four separate occasions, once on the phone and 3 times in person, to get them to sort out a vaccination for our youngest who is also vulnerable, and like my wife has had a letter from the government, suggesting he gets vaccinated - can they sort it, or tell me how to, well no they bloody well can’t.

It just all seems to be on the too difficult pile now the emphasis has shifted.

Anyway. Hopefully we can keep ourselves safe, to the best of our ability...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, I knew about the as the crow flies scenario, it’s just that when that’s the only option given it does make you feel a bit like no-one cares.

As for the GP don’t make me laugh, I have tried on four separate occasions, once on the phone and 3 times in person, to get them to sort out a vaccination for our youngest who is also vulnerable, and like my wife has had a letter from the government, suggesting he gets vaccinated - can they sort it, or tell me how to, well no they bloody well can’t.

It just all seems to be on the too difficult pile now the emphasis has shifted.

Anyway. Hopefully we can keep ourselves safe, to the best of our ability...

If it is any consolation....it seems the virus is mutating to increasingly feeble forms, albeit perhaps more easily spreadable. That's hardly the point though, of course. But still.

I trust you're getting out for walks, and perhaps finding new places to explore? It has been so cold, but that will change....

All the best :thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If it is any consolation....it seems the virus is mutating to increasingly feeble forms, albeit perhaps more easily spreadable. That's hardly the point though, of course. But still.

I trust you're getting out for walks, and perhaps finding new places to explore? It has been so cold, but that will change....

All the best :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the best wishes...

It’s the more spreadable bit that concerns me. People with blood cancers are so vulnerable, and despite having multiple vaccines my wife has generated no antibodies - yes, I know there’s more to protection than the presence of antibodies, but the rest does seem a little based on hope and isn’t quantifiable.

Walking, well that has been my mental saviour over the last 2 years. I’ve started keeping a log of miles to do the 1000 mile challenge again! Let’s hope I can stay gout free...

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes

Yes thinking of you and others like you. I see no plan for the clinically vulnerable. There aren't easy answers here - but for certain complete lifting of restrictions makes life even harder for you.

I'm aware that death-rates are an insensitive and unpleasant subject -I'll just add that one of the reasons that they are low is that there is still were below normal social mixing acros the population as a whole - we didn't get a high flu winter either for the same reason. It is of interest but cannot be used in isolation.

Anyway the main thing I wanted to express was my thoughts and support

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes thinking of you and others like you. I see no plan for the clinically vulnerable. There aren't easy answers here - but for certain complete lifting of restrictions makes life even harder for you.

I'm aware that death-rates are an insensitive and unpleasant subject -I'll just add that one of the reasons that they are low is that there is still were below normal social mixing acros the population as a whole - we didn't get a high flu winter either for the same reason. It is of interest but cannot be used in isolation.

Anyway the main thing I wanted to express was my thoughts and support

Thank you.

It is funny how people quote the reduced excess deaths figure and as you have pointed out, completely forget the mitigations that have been in place over the past two years.

The massive uptake in the flu vaccine and reduced social contact, and who knows maybe even mask wearing, would possibly have prevented a lot of socially transmitted illness and for some, death.

Again thanks for your kind words, very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here