Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Retirement

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A week, or so, ago I retired. I chose to do so early, I'm 60, so I can enjoy some travel and sports before I'm too frail etc to do so.

I've sorted out a fair bit in terms of travel (interrailling) and sports but just wondered if anyone knows of a over 60's footie team? There are lots of walking football clubs but I'm not quite ready for that yet. I still play 5-a-side and 11-a-side wouldn't be beyond me if it was RORO.

Anyone got any trips planned or retirement tips, I'd very much appreciate it, thank you.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A week, or so, ago I retired. I chose to do so early, I'm 60, so I can enjoy some travel and sports before I'm too frail etc to do so.

I've sorted out a fair bit in terms of travel (interrailling) and sports but just wondered if anyone knows of a over 60's footie team? There are lots of walking football clubs but I'm not quite ready for that yet. I still play 5-a-side and 11-a-side wouldn't be beyond me if it was RORO.

Anyone got any trips planned or retirement tips, I'd very much appreciate it, thank you.

I assume you're in the Arundel area going by your avatar? But, if you're in Brighton, or Hove actually, or somewhere nearby, PM me and I can get you involved in organised kick-abouts. I'm 66 and play proper football three times a week.
I also retired at 60 years old. Where the last six years have gone is a complete mystery. It's gone in a flash.
Initially, it was really strange, waking up when I woke up - no alarm clock any more, then wondering what to do. Once I sorted out a new routine, which took about three months, I've not looked back.
I look after a couple of friends' gardens, and generally just take my time doing all the things I used to have to cram in to a busy week. It's all about being content in your mind.
The best advice I was given is that you don't have to do anything. I used to think I had to be doing something, but you don't.
I've done a bit of volunteer work for Butterfly Conservation, including building huge bonfires and tree planting.
I just sloth around gently. It's great. I'm back on the French learning, I do a crossword every day and generally just enjoy doing not much. It is an art though, and I can understand people that might struggle having worked all their lives and then suddenly stop.
Hope you sort yourself out a new routine and enjoy yourself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Try and double guess when Easyjet planes will be empty. Go to the Arctic Circle (Tromso, Rovaniemi) early January midweek, Rome in February midweek etc. See places you'd maybe never otherwise see, at off-peak prices. And never share a flight with schoolkids other than maybe the odd well-behaved ski trip. It's brilliant!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I assume you're in the Arundel area going by your avatar? But, if you're in Brighton, or Hove actually, or somewhere nearby, PM me and I can get you involved in organised kick-abouts. I'm 66 and play proper football three times a week.
I also retired at 60 years old. Where the last six years have gone is a complete mystery. It's gone in a flash.
Initially, it was really strange, waking up when I woke up - no alarm clock any more, then wondering what to do. Once I sorted out a new routine, which took about three months, I've not looked back.
I look after a couple of friends' gardens, and generally just take my time doing all the things I used to have to cram in to a busy week. It's all about being content in your mind.
The best advice I was given is that you don't have to do anything. I used to think I had to be doing something, but you don't.
I've done a bit of volunteer work for Butterfly Conservation, including building huge bonfires and tree planting.
I just sloth around gently. It's great. I'm back on the French learning, I do a crossword every day and generally just enjoy doing not much. It is an art though, and I can understand people that might struggle having worked all their lives and then suddenly stop.

it is what it is....:kiss:

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Golf, swimming, dog walking, gardening and odd jobs takes up all my time. Plus watching the Albion of course.
Enjoy. It's lovely if you have the resources to enjoy it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Blimey, I walk past Jack's house everyday when walking the dog. Garden in a complete mess, hasn't seen a hedge trimmer or lawnmower since before the pandemic! Windows hanging from one hinge with numerous broken panes. The driveway is littered with empty special brew cans (I've even seen cans casually thrown through the broken windows to add to the pile. Wine bottles strewn everywhere. Always give it a wide berth!!!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Wow! Hugely impressed. Proper football 3 x a week! I am pleased to walk 5km twice a week!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I find commiting to retirement a challenge. I'm past retirement age, but still working 2 to 3 days a week as a consultant QS, not whole days but charging by the hour.. Not really enjoying what I'm doing as it is all confrontational, but finding it hard to pull the plug. Money isn't a problem, its just accepting the end of something I'm really good at.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I find commiting to retirement a challenge. I'm past retirement age, but still working 2 to 3 days a week as a consultant QS, not whole days but charging by the hour.. Not really enjoying what I'm doing as it is all confrontational, but finding it hard to pull the plug. Money isn't a problem, its just accepting the end of something I'm really good at.

Could the confrontation be because things have changed?. Not saying you are wrong but the world (of work) is a different place now.

Make some plans and then take the plunge.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Blimey, I walk past Jack's house everyday when walking the dog. Garden in a complete mess, hasn't seen a hedge trimmer or lawnmower since before the pandemic! Windows hanging from one hinge with numerous broken panes. The driveway is littered with empty special brew cans (I've even seen cans casually thrown through the broken windows to add to the pile. Wine bottles strewn everywhere. Always give it a wide berth!!!
I'll get round to sorting it out one day!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I kind of retired 4 years ago (at 56!)....but have been working part time since then. Having spent my life in the corporate world I wanted to try a few different things. To start with I volunteered for a refugee charity in Greece. Wow! It opened my eyes and has give me a whole new set of experiences which are far more rewarding than getting a refi done, or signing the stat accounts (!!).

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Could the confrontation be because things have changed?. Not saying you are wrong but the world (of work) is a different place now.

Make some plans and then take the plunge.

The construction industry has certainly changed, for the worse, unfortunately. Commercial agreements are a thing of the past, just dealing with bean counters and sharp practice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great decision! Packed it in myself about 18 months ago (at 54) and haven’t regretted it for a single second. Don’t play football because I’m shot and would get instantly injured anyway, but in terms of other ‘tips’, be aware it takes a little while getting your head around the availability of time (which I never had when working) and the fact you don’t need to rush everything or overfill your weekends trying to do too much. I initially felt guilty realising it was 10am and all I’d done some days was read the paper and drink coffee. Anywhere you want to go is likely to be much more pleasant midweek. Other key thing I did was take on a voluntary role with a local charity - would highly recommend this, it’s incredibly fulfilling. Even as a main board trustee and sitting on 3 committees I reckon it’s maybe 15-20 hours a month max.

Been travelling a fair bit since pandemic restrictions have started to lift and have a few other trips planned ahead - typically trying to do 2 x 10/11 day ‘proper’ holidays, a couple of European city breaks (Budapest a couple of weeks ago was fantastic), a golf trip and maybe 5-6 UK short breaks every year, plus some more bucket-list type trips soon hopefully. Apart from that, can’t believe how quickly the last 18 months have gone……running, fishing, walking, travelling and even done quite a bit of decorating which I pretty much never did when working :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I assume you retirees that are enjoying it have decent pensions and paid off mortgages?

I've just turned 50 but am looking at trying to get higher up the greasy pole again because I'm seeing my energy bills and mortgage payments growing like Topsy. Without wanting to dig into anyone's real personal data is there anyone out there who thinks they know what sort of size pension pot allows for a comfortable retirement?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Don't dismiss walking football without watching a few groups first - some are quite competitive, and make for a good workout with new mates. Other groups actually walk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here