Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Slug pellets banned from today

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Just a quick reminder for NSC gardeners to stop using slug pellets to control those slimy pests that feast on your strawberries every year as the metaldehyde slug pellets ban has officially come into effect, making it illegal to use pellets containing this harmful chemical .

The good news is lager is also useful for controlling slugs and no need to buy the expensive stuff either as it seems they are not to fussy

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/what-best-way-trapping-slugs

Preference for beer types
The encouraging message from this trial was that slugs were just as attracted to the cheapest types of lager as they were to the more expensive brands. Although bitter has been touted as being a more attractive than lager, there was little evidence for this here or elsewhere. In this trial, bitter and lager caught similar numbers of slugs. After a period of 3 – 4 days, beer traps caught, on average, 5 – 6 slugs. These are quite low numbers, and reflect the extremely long dry season.

Average number of slugs caught ( water ) 0.1 ( larger) 6.4 ( Bitter) 5.3

Very few slugs were caught in the water, compared to the beer. It is thought to be the combination of volatiles, and yeast that attract the slugs, and the alcohol content has been shown to have little bearing on effectiveness.2

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just a quick reminder for NSC gardeners to stop using slug pellets to control those slimy pests that feast on your strawberries every year as the metaldehyde slug pellets ban has officially come into effect, making it illegal to use pellets containing this harmful chemical .

The good news is lager is also useful for controlling slugs and no need to buy the expensive stuff either as it seems they are not to fussy

The encouraging message from this trial was that slugs were just as attracted to the cheapest types of lager as they were to the more expensive brands. Although bitter has been touted as being a more attractive than lager, there was little evidence for this here or elsewhere. In this trial, bitter and lager caught similar numbers of slugs. After a period of 3 – 4 days, beer traps caught, on average, 5 – 6 slugs. These are quite low numbers, and reflect the extremely long dry season.

Very few slugs were caught in the water, compared to the beer. It is thought to be the combination of volatiles, and yeast that attract the slugs, and the alcohol content has been shown to have little bearing on effectiveness.2

I find the heel of my Boot is quite effective...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
https://rshg.org.uk/2012/09/leopard-slug/

It pays to remember that not all slugs are bad...

Unlike most of the slugs that live in gardens, Leopard Slugs are a gardener’s friend. They don’t damage healthy, living plants, but they do eat other slugs, including those that can damage garden plants and vegetables. By eating dead and rotting plants, as well as fungi, Leopard Slugs recycle nutrients and fertilise the soil.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Very funny. The April Fool on the Albion website was good . It made a reference to a Paul Barber Tweet :lolol: Paul Barber, in just140 characters….as it :lolol: Had me laughing though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Salt. Job done.

We had a major slug infestation a few years ago, I wasted 2 cans of punk IPA and caught loads . . . but the ****ers just slid off half cut . . . . . so I rounded them up with the help of a trained herding hedgehog and introduced half a bag of dishwasher salt. . . . nailed it.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Aware that this was going to happen I have much reduced my use of slug pellets over the years. So, I went over to beer traps.

The most effective method for me was to re-use plastic Hummous/ Olive pots with lids. Using scissors I cut down from the top rim about 1.5cm about 2.5 cm long, then put some beer in, clip the plastic lid on and slightly bury the pot near the plants I'm trying to protect. The lid keeps the rain out and reduces a bit of evaporation so the beer keeps longer.

Works a treat, I use the cheapest canned bitter in Lidl and it slaughters the little ********.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Funnily enough slugs aren't a big part of the hedgehog diet but yes I have a good population of frogs, newts & slow worms in the garden. We also seem to have quite a few leopard slugs as well.

We don't get lots of frogs, loads of newts though. leopard slugs too.

Lots of dogs eggstoo , but none of them ever hatch, not even the odd white one. :rolleyes:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We had a major slug infestation a few years ago, I wasted 2 cans of punk IPA and caught loads . . . but the ****ers just slid off half cut . . . . . so I rounded them up with the help of a trained herding hedgehog and introduced half a bag of dishwasher salt. . . . nailed it.

Dishwasher salt ? Must be a Shoreham thing, over in BN1 we find the hedgehogs prefer a little smoked paprika with their slugs ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
TTTssskk. Damn this Cancel Culture. The virtue-signalling politically-correct slug-loving Woke brigade want to ban everything, innit :tantrum:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here