Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The (Food) Apprentice

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, replacing The Apprentice in BBC1's Thursday night BBC 1 is "Gordon Ramsay's Future Food Stars" which does seem to be The (Food) Apprentice.

Arguing, shambolic performances and stitching each other up at the sharp end, all with a generous sprinkling of F-bombs.

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
"You're fried"

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So, replacing The Apprentice in BBC1's Thursday night BBC 1 is "Gordon Ramsay's Future Food Stars" which does seem to be The (Food) Apprentice.

Arguing, shambolic performances and stitching each other up at the sharp end, all with a generous sprinkling of F-bombs.

I watched it having no prior knowledge of the format of the show and whilst it is effectively The Apprentice wearing oven gloves it met my requirements for that time slot on a Thursday night which is one hour of nicely shot telly with a simple format that requires zero brain input from me.

I find it hard to believe that collection of ****wits and oddballs are the most promising and exciting up-and-coming foodies in the UK today, but then again I’m sure we’re not expected to believe that anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I watched it having no prior knowledge of the format of the show and whilst it is effectively The Apprentice wearing oven gloves it met my requirements for that time slot on a Thursday night which is one hour of nicely shot telly with a simple format that requires zero brain input from me.

I find it hard to believe that collection of ****wits and oddballs are the most promising and exciting up-and-coming foodies in the UK today, but then again I’m sure we’re not expected to believe that anyway.

Oh, let's me clear, I'll certainly watch each and every minute.

Two things though...

1. Jumping off a cliff into the sea - why? If someone had refused, would they have been fired/fried at that point?

2. The tasks are not related in any way to some of the businesses the contestants have founded. For example one of them has a canned seltzer company and next week seemed to include tasks related to filetting a salmon.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The tasks are not related in any way to some of the businesses the contestants have founded. For example one of them has a canned seltzer company and next week seemed to include tasks related to filetting a salmon.

Fisshy Drinks? It's certainly a, um, market gap...

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
2. The tasks are not related in any way to some of the businesses the contestants have founded. For example one of them has a canned seltzer company and next week seemed to include tasks related to filetting a salmon.

You could say the same about The Apprentice? It’s all about testing their character, and how they work as individuals and as part of a team.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Next week the contestants are shot from a cannon………. You’re fired you lot

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This show was pounded by the critics and so I may watch some of it on the iplayer.
But meanwhile started a conversation with the word so - "So, replacing The Apprentice in BBC1's Thursday night BBC 1" I thought was a no no.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The real up and coming food heroes won't be anywhere near this programme.

It's just the usual tired formulaic method of getting a programme on the box these days. I'm pretty sure you will have been able to play Bullshit Bingo and tick off all the tired old catchphrases from Masterchef, Bake Off and Great British Menu ?

I look forward to Remote Controller's view in The Eye if he covers this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You could say the same about The Apprentice? It’s all about testing their character, and how they work as individuals and as part of a team.

You could and, in fact, I said the very same myself when discussing it at home last night.

But product development, branding, sales etc - the bread and butter of Apprentice tasks - are relevant to most businesses. Filetting a salmon is not going to help a canned seltzer company.

But I certainly concede the point on character and team-work etc.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
What’s going to be Gordon’s equivalent of ‘you’re fired’?

I know some have flippantly said ‘you’re fried’, but last night he did actually finish with a very dismissive ‘we’re done!’

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just about sat through the first episode of this drivel with Mrs GB.

I can't think that either of us will be tuning in for Episode Two, and that's from two people with unfortunate addictions to Masterchef, Great British Menu and to cooking and eating out in general.

Get in the sea. Oh, you just did.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well having watched it, I spent the first 10 minutes absolutely amazed at how far up his own arse Gordon Ramsey had become, and the next 50 minutes in shock watching him dissappear yet further up it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you’re brain dead (sheep mug, to borrow Easy 10s phrase) then I guess this programmes got some appeal. But for the living…

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Let’s be clear, there is nothing remotely team about the apprentice.

The contestants disagree/argue/bitch before during and after each task.

One group wins out of sheer luck each week, typically only because they made less of a mess than the other. It’s nothing more than that.

It absolutely has nothing to do with being a team.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Let’s be clear, there is nothing remotely team about the apprentice.

The contestants disagree/argue/bitch before during and after each task.

One group wins out of sheer luck each week, typically only because they made less of a mess than the other. It’s nothing more than that.

It absolutely has nothing to do with being a team.

In fairness, I wasn’t suggesting The Apprentice had anything to do with working as a team.

I was comparing the two programmes in terms of the lack of task relevance to the candidates businesses/ business ideas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here