Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] National Meter Reading Day

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apparently according to finance guru and likeable money saving expert Martin Lewis today is Meter Reading Day!

So something to do with today being the best day to read your meters and inform your energy companies of the exact readings ahead of new pricing tomorrow. This is the optimum day to do it.

Google it.

I think smart meters do this automatically, but for everyone else, sounds like it's worth doing and could save you money, or at least not you giving a large some of credit to the energy company ahead of a formal reading.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Read both the gas and electric yesterday, then went online, entered them, and cleared the up to date balance.

Not sure whether it will achieve anything but it can’t hurt.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you show me your meter, I will show you mine.

Of course for the benefit of some, I have the un-smart meter.

A very important point Boldy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What's the betting that the old scam of sending low meter readings to get lower bills now switches to sending higher meter readings today so that they get some future used electricity at today's rates as opposed to the new rates coming in tomorrow ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What's the betting that the old scam of sending low meter readings to get lower bills now switches to sending higher meter readings today so that they get some future used electricity at today's rates as opposed to the new rates coming in tomorrow ?

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Energy companies pre-purchase their energy to get better prices, so I don't see why their customers shouldn't :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyone thinking a fudging the reading, I'd think twice as that technically a fraud...

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Mine's done automatically but I've changed the readings to half-hourly rather than daily as advised. You can do all this online of course.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Energy companies pre-purchase their energy to get better prices, so I don't see why their customers shouldn't :wink:

You can if you enter a contract

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

I used to work in the electric and gas supply business, there were always quite a large number of people who refused meter readers access to prevent bills reflecting what they were actually using, in order to keep bills low.

|The problem with that is that eventually a reading was obtained (by court order sometimes)and then the customers would create merry hell because the owed a load, and it was all our fault as we had only sent estimated bills, and they shouldnt be liable- despite us showing that they had refused access, and also refused to give meter reading when we asked

There were also some companies who in order to gain customers would ask what a persons monthly DD was and just knock £10 off that and say t6hat would be their DD. Of course after six months or so, once meter readings were obtained the DD increased massively to account for the underspend

My husband works for a meter reading company, they are expecting more people to start refusing access in order to keep meter readings showing proper usage to keep bills lower- false economy as it will catch up eventually- and be even more difficult when that happens

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

You can-thats what fixed rate tariffs were all about- you basically agree to pay a fixed rate for the term of the contract- the company then basically pre buys that energy for you- thats why every so often there is a big rise for people as those fixed term contracts run out and current prices start to apply-

Its hard (impossible) to get new fixed rates as prices are so volatile companies cant buy at lower rates than wholesale prices. Anyone who fixed prices last year on extended deals are going to be quids in, unfortunatley for me, my deal ran out 1st March

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Martin Lewis suggested giving my gas & electric readings today.
I've been trying to log on to my Eon-Next account for over two & a half hours.
Keeps say 'Something went wrong'
Tried changing password with the same result.
Obviously loads of others trying to do the same.
What a waste of time!

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Never have never will use a smart meter (SM). More big brother. Energy Companies can cut you off intentionally or by mistake easily with a SM. At end of day still gotta pay for usage regardless of when take reading.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a waste of time!

The majority of the energy suppliers websites have crashed. Take a photo of the reading and email it in.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
What a waste of time!

There is an article in the news pages, nearly all the energy companies web-sites have crashed due to the volume of people trying to register their up to date readings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The majority of the energy suppliers websites have crashed. Take a photo of the reading and email it in.

Shellenergy have now added a link on their Home page, for a form to fill in (with address, postcode, account number and readings) rather than the automatic meter reading link.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here