Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Montreal Arms

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Anyone got any facts on what’s occurring?
I don’t know much about it except a) the new owner is perceived to be a bit of a wrong un with questionable motives.
2) he’s ripped off all the lovely green tiles that give those United Ale pubs their identity. 3) turned out he needs planning permission for number 2 which he wasn’t given.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Saw this on the Argus website, sad to see the tiles go.

DFB03D47-5D29-4754-BC16-B258B21A5827.jpeg

AAE5D2AD-58D0-4582-B0B9-C422BE131A30.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They've been a feature of the area since forever, as they are on UAS pubs historically.

Locals are very upset, especially those of us who lived round here for decades.

I'm not sure the council can do much, although they have halted the work for now. I think the listed status is a local thing so they cannot do much.

It just feels like vandalism of an iconic local building.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I don’t know much about it except a) the new owner is perceived to be a bit of a wrong un with questionable motives.
2) he’s ripped off all the lovely green tiles that give those United Ale pubs their identity. 3) turned out he needs planning permission for number 2 which he wasn’t given.

From Brighton past group on Facebook

1. He applied for funding /go fund me to use building to house refugees for three years. I believe he wanted £85k
2. Once the three years were up the building could officially change use to residential and be formally converted / sold at residential rates
3. Locals did not support the fund raising efforts hence as an F you he started to take off tiles from building
4. Council stepped in and halted any more work [tile removal] being done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He was interviewed on TV a few weeks ago…….long story about how he was a former dropout and was helped by charity, wanted to give something back etc etc. and sure he said during the interview that there were half a dozen rooms available straight away for refugees. Don’t recall him saying anything about needing funding (gave the impression he was a ‘successful businessman’) and that the work wouldn’t take very long to complete

Was quite surprised when I saw this in Twitter yesterday

Edit….here’s the Argus article from around the same time he was on the TV news

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20001292.montreal-arms-brighton-become-housing-ukrainian-refugees/

And the latest
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20030641.green-tiles-removed-montreal-arms-pub-brighton/

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He was interviewed on TV a few weeks ago…….long story about how he was a former dropout and was helped by charity, wanted to give something back etc etc. and sure he said during the interview that there were half a dozen rooms available straight away for refugees. Don’t recall him saying anything about needing funding (gave the impression he was a successful businessman’) and that the work wouldn’t take very long to complete

Was quite surprised when I saw this in Twitter yesterday

Edit….here’s the Argus article from around the same time he was on the TV news

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20001292.montreal-arms-brighton-become-housing-ukrainian-refugees/

Lying b$llshitter developer without shame.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They've been a feature of the area since forever, as they are on UAS pubs historically.

Locals are very upset, especially those of us who lived round here for decades.

I'm not sure the council can do much, although they have halted the work for now. I think the listed status is a local thing so they cannot do much.

It just feels like vandalism of an iconic local building.

I've never been in the pub, don't even know where it is, but l agree, disgraceful that the building has been defaced like that.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

WHat a Horrible and absolute Ar$e !

Hes ruined the local fabric of the community

He should be imprisoned for a very long time

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't know the facts but it does strike me as strange that he acquired the pub and didn't know that there were special considerations attached to the building i.e. its not 'listed' as such but was given some form of protection status by the council. If he did not know this then his solicitor might be the person paying the bill but if he decided to ignore it then I hope he has to re-instate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here