Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lasers and penalties

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
[video]https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/football/world-cup-qualifiers-2022-mo-salah-misses-penalty-after-lasers-shone-in-his-eyes/cl1ckliwn007j0jruilqjn0lj[/video]

This issue raises it's ugly head again....

Ref ought to hold up the game, perhaps? Or Salah should have busted some disco moves.

Do feel for Egypt in this situation (despite their ultra dull football).

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There should be a consequence. I am not sure what though. If it became established that anyone shining lasers in such a situation means that the result is void and awarded to the other side, then fans of the team who are about to take the penalty would use lasers as an insurance for a miss such as Salah's.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The ref needs to take action. If it is widespread,as reported yesterday, then he has to stop the match, take the players off.
If it is a lone laser at a penalty taker , the penalty is retaken .
The stewards in the crowd need to sort it out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most of the times I dont think the ref sees it (though this time it was quite obvious).

Quite difficult situation and difficult to solve, security down there isnt always on the same level as here. Suspending the game can be a pretty dangerous thing to do as well. When it gets heated in the stands I think a lot of people on and off the pitch gets a "get it over with" feeling.

I didnt see Senegal vs Egypt but I saw the final 30 of the Algeria vs Mali game and it wasnt like there was one bloke pointing with green laser, it must have been dozens.

Agree it needs to be solved though but not quite sure what that solution would look like.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
That wasn't just one laser but many. Perhaps have a moveable goal, as in the warm ups, and have it down the side of the pitch or even on the half way line. If needed it should only take minutes to paint the penalty spot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you give the crowd it came from a one match ban, simples. no worrying about nefarious supporters sneaking into opposition crowd, the crowd will self police and stop it if they know there is a consequence. see all fireworks and flares. there will be a serious incident one day and everyone will cry about why something wasnt done.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
you give the crowd it came from a one match ban, simples. no worrying about nefarious supporters sneaking into opposition crowd, the crowd will self police and stop it if they know there is a consequence. see all fireworks and flares. there will be a serious incident one day and everyone will cry about why something wasnt done.

It was a while ago now, but there was this terrible incident in Wales... It will happen again, at some point, sadly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-denmark-romania-cardiff-giggs-15417096.amp

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Hold up the game and empty the entire stand and send them home. I suspect word would get around quickly.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
That wasn't just one laser but many. Perhaps have a moveable goal, as in the warm ups, and have it down the side of the pitch or even on the half way line. If needed it should only take minutes to paint the penalty spot.

I've always thought it wrong to have penalty shoot outs in front of a volatile biased crowd at either end. Would make sense to have the shoot out by the dug outs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here