Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Buying A New Car Locally

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've finally had enough of my old little C3.

I don't actually drive it much. About 4,000 miles a year. But, despite only 63k on the clock and me getting everything done, including advisorys, at services and MOTs in the last three years, there is always something that crops up.

Today I drove it to the Marina. Fine. Then it wouldn't start unless I kept my foot on the accelerator and would then cut out at the first stop. Eventually it kept going although when I got to the cemetery to put some flowers on me Mum's grave I kept the engine going as I didn't fancy being stuck in there all night. Whatever is causing that it means more money, it also needs a couple of new tyres, so I think it's best to let go. It's a shame as I've spent a fortune on it.

I need to know the best way to rid. We Buy Any Car is a rip off as a scrap dealer is offering about £250. It has a full tank of petrol in it and lots of new bits (the two other tyres are new) and a recent MOT :lolol:

So, what is the best way to rid and if I'm looking for another car between £5k and £7k which won't keep ****ing up, despite me doing less mileage than your granny, where do I go ?

Over to you dear wise ones, and thanks for your time.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Spend 1/2 hr on the tinternet and jot down prices/values of similar, value it and list it . . .for free, where you can, FB etc

Give it a week and see . . . . You'kll get jokers, ignore them.

If you don't get a single serious enquiry I'd be suprised . . Economic cars are in demand and the 2nd hand car market is buoyant to say the least

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spend 1/2 hr on the tinternet and jot down prices/values of similar, value it and list it . . .for free, where you can, FB etc

Give it a week and see . . . . You'kll get jokers, ignore them.

If you don't get a single serious enquiry I'd be surprised . . Economic cars are in demand and the 2nd hand car market is buoyant to say the least

Interesting point. I could stick a couple of new tyres on and if the problem it has only costs, say £300 that would would £400. It looks like I could get about a grand+ for it though, as I've done a lot to it (new clutch, belt, four tyres etc).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I don't actually drive it much. About 4,000 miles a year. But, despite only 63k on the clock and me getting everything done, including advisorys, at services and MOTs in the last three years, there is always something that crops up.

It’s French.

Apart from that, very low mileage can be as much of a problem as very high mileage. Yes the aesthetics hold up well, but engines like to be used, as long as well maintained. Sticky injectors, gummed up carbs, spark plug fouled etc.

Mind you it’s still French, my old Renault occasionally needed a thump in the boot with a hammer to unstick the fuel pump. My mates car would turn on its windscreen wipers overnight!

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I note you don’t drive it much….roughly where do you park it…many street lamps?

I would tell you, but don't come in the dead of night. There is a seagull family on the roof opposite and the husband is an old lush. If he sees you he'll fly over and engage in rambling conversation before crapping on you from his bloated evening on the bins.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

Today I drove it to the Marina. Fine. Then it wouldn't start unless I kept my foot on the accelerator and would then cut out at the first stop. Eventually it kept going although when I got to the cemetery to put some flowers on me Mum's grave I kept the engine going as I didn't fancy being stuck in there all night. Whatever is causing that it means more money, it also needs a couple of new tyres, so I think it's best to let go. It's a shame as I've spent a fortune on it.

I need to know the best way to rid. We Buy Any Car is a rip off as a scrap dealer is offering about £250. It has a full tank of petrol in it and lots of new bits (the two other tyres are new) and a recent MOT :lolol:

So, what is the best way to rid and if I'm looking for another car between £5k and £7k which won't keep ****ing up, despite me doing less mileage than your granny, where do I go ?

Over to you dear wise ones, and thanks for your time.
Got any photos,I may be interested in it for a client of mine?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Got any photos,I may be interested in it for a client of mine?

I might just see if I can get a repair done as I think the battery is the problem. probably about £300 of stuff needs doing. But once done I can get over a grand for it.

Just realised the stereo I put in is a goodun too. I don't want to sell all my TLC short after having followed [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] advice.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I might just see if I can get a repair done as I think the battery is the problem. probably about £300 of stuff needs doing. But once done I can get over a grand for it.

Just realised the stereo I put in is a goodun too. I don't want to sell all my TLC short after having followed [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] advice.

Sure enough,I completely understand and it's good advice. If things don't work out and you want to PM me,please do. Good luck.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That saying's a blast from the past! Carbs haven't been a thing for 30 odd years :lolol:

Funny you mention that, I got the Cortina out for a blast last week and it had a bit of a misfire . . .I think one of the pilot jets is blocked in one of the Webers. cleared itself as it warmed up, but it really needs using more often.

Needs a new battery as well. . . . and some petrol :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here