Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RIP Nakagin Capsule Tower

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is finally happening. The Nakagin Capsule Tower will be demolished any day now.

The Guardian had this article a few months ago: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-tokyos-capsule-tower-faces-uncertain-future

And just a few weeks ago a demolition notice was put on the wall of the building.

I've been fascinated by this building and the whole Metabolism architecture thing for years and really hoped the fight for preservation would work out one way or another but the fight was lost a few years ago and now the end is very near.

RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looks like a pile of broken washing machines reinforced with some rusty corrugated metal found at the back of an allotment.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
If I have my sums right, then 10 square metres is very small. I live in about 20 square metres (I think, 6' x 6' x 30')?

I wouldn't like to live in half the size I do now.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If I have my sums right, then 10 square metres is very small. I live in about 20 square metres (I think, 6' x 6' x 30')?

I wouldn't like to live in half the size I do now.

They're not intended as living spaces in the traditional way though. They are intended for the businessmen and office workers in Tokyo who worked long hours to spend weekday nights there and avoid the 1 to 3 hour commute twice a day to their family homes.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I reckon there's still a place for that sort of thing.

A step up from a cardboard box eh?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I reckon there's still a place for that sort of thing.

A step up from a cardboard box eh?
Certainly in Tokyo, where they moved on to capsule hotels in which your room is a slightly oversized torpedo tube. You have room to sit up (if you watch your head) but not to stand up, and you get in by crawling into the tube.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
They're not intended as living spaces in the traditional way though. They are intended for the businessmen and office workers in Tokyo who worked long hours to spend weekday nights there and avoid the 1 to 3 hour commute twice a day to their family homes.

So they work, say, 6 to 10, then just get into one of these things, sleep, wash, and go back to work?

Bloody hell, what a life!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is finally happening. The Nakagin Capsule Tower will be demolished any day now.

The Guardian had this article a few months ago: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-tokyos-capsule-tower-faces-uncertain-future

And just a few weeks ago a demolition notice was put on the wall of the building.

I've been fascinated by this building and the whole Metabolism architecture thing for years and really hoped the fight for preservation would work out one way or another but the fight was lost a few years ago and now the end is very near.

RIP
One look at this heap of **** sums up exactly why I gave up my architecture degree course after two years back in the sixties - the constant pressure to come up with 'ideas' like this instead of buildings that ordinary people (i.e. anybody not professional architecture critics and commentators!) would like. What an eyesore!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So they work, say, 6 to 10, then just get into one of these things, sleep, wash, and go back to work?

Bloody hell, what a life!

Certainly more nice than the pod hotels of today.

In Nagakin they had a stereo and TV built into the wall of each capsule, plus the luxuary of not being with your family. All you need really.

nakagin-stereo.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One look at this heap of **** sums up exactly why I gave up my architecture degree course after two years back in the sixties - the constant pressure to come up with 'ideas' like this instead of buildings that ordinary people (i.e. anybody not professional architecture critics and commentators!) would like. What an eyesore!

Well you just narrowly missed out on the whole modernist "either you build a high-rise building of glass and steel or you can go **** yourself" architecture trend still in place today,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here