Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] European road trip

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I’m looking for advice on organising a European road trip, hoping to go away for the full 6 week summer holiday, family of 5. Will hire a motor home. Has anyone done similar? Obvious start point seems to be Dover. Was the thinking of heading up towards Holland, across to Germany and eventually wind down towards Spain. I’m not sure how organised I’d need to be or could we just wing it and make it up as we go, summer holidays will obviously be busy and Covid could still play a part in some places.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I have no idea but I would scour YouTube if I were you. Bound to be loads of videos.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’m looking for advice on organising a European road trip, hoping to go away for the full 6 week summer holiday, family of 5. Will hire a motor home. Has anyone done similar? Obvious start point seems to be Dover. Was the thinking of heading up towards Holland, across to Germany and eventually wind down towards Spain. I’m not sure how organised I’d need to be or could we just wing it and make it up as we go, summer holidays will obviously be busy and Covid could still play a part in some places.

I don't know about the countries you mention but if you plan to enter Europe via France - i.e. Calais - then make sure all adults are triple jabbed and you've downloaded the French Covid pass ( easy to find on Google ). Good news is that masks are now optional and you can eat out without the pass - it's just required to enter France.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd recommend Portsmouth LeHavre or Cherbourg, head down the West coast, along the south coast, maybe into Italy , Turin, MIlan then north back through the ALps Annecy, Germany, Belgium etc and back to Dover

We did something similar in 2 weeks on Lambrettas in 1997. Will do it again some day.

Its all very nice and civilised, good camp sites, although on scooters we mostly used B&B's

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Make sure you go to Italy, Lake Garda would be a brilliant stopover on your trip.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Drive up all through Sweden (we have very long very straight roads that some drivers like), then over to Finland and... eh... well, you'll need to drive a little bit through Russia but that should be... exciting, then you drive across all the Baltic countries into Poland until you get to Germany and the Autobahn thing and then you can go to France or Italy or the other way around. With this journey, you'll see more than the average road tripper.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Week 3 in NW Spain for us. Heading slowly home over 7 days today.
Home for 6 weeks then off for 6 weeks in Norway.
August would be very busy everywhere. Might be worth booking up some sites. France has best facilities for vans to pull up and park overnight for free.
Enjoy it!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
A few ideas for places to stop:

On the way out:

Colmar, Alsace - beautifully preserved old town with campsite and restaurant on the river.
Kandersteg, Bernese Oberland - proper mountains, cable cars, eagles flying above the campsite, summer toboggan run on rails, pedalos on the glacial lake, then put the van on the flatbed train, and go through the mountain tunnel to the Rhone valley. Just remember to close the windows.

On the way back:

Concale, Brittany, for oysters. Use the aire-de-camping. Baker's van comes round in the morning with warm croissants.
Mont St Michel
Honfleur - old town near Le Havre, can park in the big aire-de-camping. Loads to do.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Depends how far the Russian advance / retreat has got.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'd recommend Portsmouth LeHavre or Cherbourg, head down the West coast, along the south coast, maybe into Italy , Turin, MIlan then north back through the ALps Annecy, Germany, Belgium etc and back to Dover

We did something similar in 2 weeks on Lambrettas in 1997. Will do it again some day.

Its all very nice and civilised, good camp sites, although on scooters we mostly used B&B's

This is the one for a 6 weeker! Great mix of cultures, coast and mountains. Try to get to Lake Garda, then could come back over the pass into Austria, then Germany. Or, through the French Alps, Annecy etc as mentioned. Personally, I'd leave Spain for another trip, as it's huge! Plenty to see in France, Italy, Austria, Germany, Netherlands etc. And...enjoy 😎

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A few ideas for places to stop:

On the way out:

Colmar, Alsace - beautifully preserved old town with campsite and restaurant on the river.
Kandersteg, Bernese Oberland - proper mountains, cable cars, eagles flying above the campsite, summer toboggan run on rails, pedalos on the glacial lake, then put the van on the flatbed train, and go through the mountain tunnel to the Rhone valley. Just remember to close the windows.

On the way back:

Concale, Brittany, for oysters. Use the aire-de-camping. Baker's van comes round in the morning with warm croissants.
Mont St Michel
Honfleur - old town near Le Havre, can park in the big aire-de-camping. Loads to do.

Fantastic suggestions 👍😎

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Us too, both Austria or Süd Tirol (pinched from Austria in 1919, into Italy), we love that part of the world and the people.

Yes, I'd forgotten the Sud Tirol is Italy now. Had a couple of holidays there years back, one hiking, one cross country skiing. Lovely mix of cultures and in the menus, and very hospitable locals.
Damn... this thread's reminding me its now over 2 years ago we went to the continent...and we miss it... although Scotland and the Lake District have been enjoyable too 😎

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, I'd forgotten the Sud Tirol is Italy now. Had a couple of holidays there years back, one hiking, one cross country skiing. Lovely mix of cultures and in the menus, and very hospitable locals.
Damn... this thread's reminding me its now over 2 years ago we went to the continent...and we miss it... although Scotland and the Lake District have been enjoyable too 😎

Are you going this year?

We’re off skiing in the Tirol in a week’s time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here