Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As part of my ongoing musical education I've recently been seeking out 'classic' albums from genres and/or eras I've not previously given much ear time to. I figure these might be a starting point for something deeper.

A couple I have been listening to recently are Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and Sly and the Family Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On.

So, hit me up with some classics (any genre) to listen to.
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION], care to recommend something from your jazz world?

Happy Friday.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
As part of my ongoing musical education I've recently been seeking out 'classic' albums from genres and/or eras I've not previously given much ear time to. I figure these might be a starting point for something deeper.

A couple I have been listening to recently are Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and Sly and the Family Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On.

[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION], care to recommend something from your jazz world?

Happy Friday.
Straight shooter 1975 by bad company.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=28490" target="_blank">Machiavelli</a></u>, care to recommend something from your jazz world?

Happy Friday.

For anybody looking for a first jazz album

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Possibly the greatest live album ever.
Bob Dylan and The Band ..Before the Flood.
Dylan giving equal Album time to his "Support Band"

Possibly the greatest album ever

Rolling Stones ...Exile on Main Street.

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Originally released in 2000 and often quoted by the late great John Peel as his favourite album of all time - the vastly underrated Laura Cantrell - Not The Tremblin’ Kind

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

Sign of the Times - Prince

Reflections - Gil Scott Heron

Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized

Different Class - Pulp

Searching For The Young Soul Rebels - Dexys Midnight Runners

Baduizm - Erykha Badu

Hoodies All Summer - Kano

I don't remember you expressing an interest in any of these, except GSH. Listen and enjoy...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Different Class - Pulp

Baduizm - Erykha Badu

I don't remember you expressing an interest in any of these, except GSH. Listen and enjoy...

A wonder and joy to listen, especially at Brixton way back :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some classic Celtic Soul from 1974

01f228_1e9e370d384f47e598718c62b1ddfcfc.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Different Class - Pulp

Baduizm - Erykha Badu

I actually own
Different Class - Pulp

That Dexy's album is brilliant; in fact I will put it on now. Perfect for a spring Friday.

Dont Stand Me Down is very underated as well.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
For anybody looking for a first jazz album

Kind Of Blue is always a good place to start with jazz. I've posted this documentary on here before. It details 4 classic albums that were released in 1959. Kind of Blue, Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out', Charles Mingus' 'Mingus Ah Um' & Ornette Coleman's 'Shape of Jazz To Come.' I watched this a few years back and it led to me buying multiple albums by all four artists. Brubeck and Davis are the place to start. The sounds they make are just so easy to love. Mingus is harder, but really eclectic and interesting. Coleman can be be very hard work, his sound is the stereotype of discordant random squeaking that haters of modern jazz argue is what all jazz sounds like. If you like the first two, go on to Mingus and if you can hear something in him, give Ornette a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYa3wwc1SU

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I actually own
Different Class - Pulp

That Dexy's album is brilliant; in fact I will put it on now. Perfect for a spring Friday.

Dont Stand Me Down is very underated as well.

Agreed, Don't Stand Me Down is a wonderful album.

I'll think of some more later!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For trippy jangly indie-pop, (this may be controversial) I suggest Primal Scream's debut long player, Sonic Flower Groove.

Released in 1987, and still one of my most played albums. Simply beautiful.

The reason I say it may be controversial, is that this album has been ludicrously denigrated, by scores of revisionist reviewers, like this clown, below (23 years after the release) who detest it because it doesn't sound like they think Primal Scream should sound (based on LATER output). :rolleyes:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/34894/Primal-Scream-Sonic-Flower-Groove/

Review Summary: an average, forgettable debut by a band that would later become a trailblazing, daring collective of musicians

The debut album of a band can be an interesting thing. It can be an amazing, cohesive statement that garners lots of acclaim and praise, skyrocketing a band to instant success (think Strokes), It can be a modest collection of songs that show the potential of a young band (think U2), or, it can be a complete shock; an album with a sound far removed from what the band would do later, and are usually despised by all but hard-core fans. This is exactly what Sonic Flower Groove is.

The Primal's are a band who rose to fame by fusing dance music and rock, but this is eons away from dance - rock , as it is a collection of dreamy folk- rock. Like any other young band, Primal Scream wear their influences on their sleeves here. the main influence seems to be the folk-rock of The Byrds. In fact, this collection bears so much influence from the Byrd that one critic stated it is "a pristine Xerox of Turn! Turn! Turn! ", And sadly, that seems to be the truth.

The area this is felt most is with the guitar tone of lead guitarist Jim Beattie, whose tone is a dead-ringer for Roger McGuinn's chiming, psych-folk lead guitar, and this drains many of the songs here of potential originality. The other gripe is simply that all of Beattie's riffs sound alike. The riff from "leaves" is almost identical to the riff from "Love you", and the already mentioned use of one tone doesn't help this much.

Beattie's guitar can't take all the blame for the tedious nature of this album though. Most of these songs sound exactly the same, thanks to the arrangements, which are always guitar, drums, (barely audible) Bass, and Vox. This makes many of the songs seem indistingishable from one another, as the drums play bland pop-rock rhythms, the bass either plays simple stream of quarter notes or mimics the guitar part, and the aforementioned lack of original riffs is incredibly evident.

The last point of contention is the only one that The Scream would carry over into their future incarnations, and that is the voice of singer Bobby Gillespie. Gillespie's lyrics have always been the band's Achilles heel, are a tepid mess, each song using metaphors of flowers and sunlight to drive home boring, love songs. from what other rock singer would you get a line as plainly dumb as "I don't want to own you/I just want to be your friend/The best one that you've ever had/ it's true, I can't pretend"? This made even more annoying by the fact that Gillespie's voice lacks range and sings all of these songs in a polite, amazingly boring voice.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Three utter (albeit obvious) classics that I know appeal across the generations:

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Foxtrot - Genesis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here