[Misc] The vehicle/bat thing

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
images

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It’s absolute carnage around the Amex on match days. Thousands of bats deliberately crashing into poor innocent football supporters quietly driving to the ground. It’s about time the government stepped in, but it’s yet another example of how badly us football fans are treated.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Frequently mentioned here, what is it about?

I’m sure someone will put me right on the finer points as I forget who exactly said what, but when planning permission was being sought for the Amex one of the objections raised at the inquiry was “but you do accept an increased likelihood in collisions between vehicles and bats?”

Or something like that. A phrase probably never heard before or since at a planning inquiry and immortalised to this day in [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]’s signature

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Frequently mentioned here, what is it about?

It stems from a (frankly surreal) encounter at the first public inquiry, which I attended, when BHA were seeking planning permission to build a stadium on some designated green belt land at Falmer.

On one memorable afternoon of the proceedings, an independent ecologist had carried out a study at said site, with a view to presenting what impact placing a 22,500 seater stadium would have on the local pipistrelle bat population. To much sniggers in the gallery, he had apparently used a "bat detector" at dusk to carry out his analysis. But on close questioning, it basically emerged that he hadn't found any bats there at all.

So having established there was not a local bat population to speak of, the Lewes District Council lawyer, (on behalf of his NIMBY clients), having just seen a coach and horses driven through one of the central pillars of his objection to the stadium, clutched at an almighty great straw and uttered the immortal phrase: "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision".

You probably had to be there.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It stems from a (frankly surreal) encounter at the first public inquiry, which I attended, when BHA were seeking planning permission to build a stadium on some designated green belt land at Falmer.

On one memorable afternoon of the proceedings, an independent ecologist had carried out a study at said site, with a view to presenting what impact placing a 22,500 seater stadium would have on the local pipistrelle bat population. To much sniggers in the gallery, he had apparently used a "bat detector" at dusk to carry out his analysis. But on close questioning, it basically emerged that he hadn't found any bats there at all.

So having established there was not a local bat population to speak of, the Lewes District Council lawyer, (on behalf of his NIMBY clients), having just seen a coach and horses driven through one of the central pillars of his objection to the stadium, clutched at an almighty great straw and uttered the immortal phrase: "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision".
T
The fact the LDC lawyer looked like Professor Snape made it all the more fun.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I started writing a reply about some context for the OP, how the local planning enquiry was a very very big event for the survival of the football club, but i can't do it justice. How can anyone possibly understand that!?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Further eye-witness report here

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?10640-Tom-Hark-s-Falmer-Reports

Oh my days! Almost pulled several muscles while attempting to stifle uproarious bouts of laughter in the refined courtroom-like setting of a Public Inquiry :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here