Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Travel from Croydon to Sussex/Surrey advice

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I'm hoping NSC can help me out here as my head is hurting flicking between Google Maps and National Rail Enquiries.

This Sunday I am travelling from Brighton to Manchester by car. M23 > M25 clockwise etc...

I am picking somebody up en route who lives in South London. They've told me their closest train station is Norwood Junction but also that East Croydon is not far. Obvs I don't want to drive into Norwood and back out to the M25 again as it'll add over an hour to the journey.

Obvious option seems to be to tell them to get the train from East Croydon to Gatwick and I'll just swing off the M23 and pick up at GA. But I'm worried because if it's anything like Manchester Airport it's a right stitch up now and as soon as you so much as say Airport pick-up a fiver dissappear off your debit cars. Can you drive up to Gatwick train station and pick people up?

Next option looks to be Redhill or Horley, but looking at Google Maps it doesn't look to easy to get off and back on the M23 for either of these. Merstham as well, even though it's close to the motorway. Haywards Heath is too far south.

Thanks.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I'm hoping NSC can help me out here as my head is hurting flicking between Google Maps and National Rail Enquiries.

This Sunday I am travelling from Brighton to Manchester by car. M23 > M25 clockwise etc...

I am picking somebody up en route who lives in South London. They've told me their closest train station is Norwood Junction but also that East Croydon is not far. Obvs I don't want to drive into Norwood and back out to the M25 again as it'll add over an hour to the journey.

Obvious option seems to be to tell them to get the train from East Croydon to Gatwick and I'll just swing off the M23 and pick up at GA. But I'm worried because if it's anything like Manchester Airport it's a right stitch up now and as soon as you so much as say Airport pick-up a fiver dissappear off your debit cars. Can you drive up to Gatwick train station and pick people up?

Next option looks to be Redhill or Horley, but looking at Google Maps it doesn't look to easy to get off and back on the M23 for either of these. Merstham as well, even though it's close to the motorway. Haywards Heath is too far south.

Thanks.

Perhaps ask your friend if the can get the train to Three Bridges? Easier to pick up there.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Where would you come off/on the A23 for Three Bridges? Google maps looks like I'd come off at Crawley and back on at Gatwick?

Yes, come off at Crawley and follow signs for Three Bridges station, or, if you have Waze or satnav, stick the post code in.
RH10 1LY.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Thanks.

You can drop off and collect for 2 hours free at the North Terninal Long Stay Car Park, as long as you get a ticket and are out before the 2 hours are up.
The passengers can use the shuttle to get there.

A bit far fetched, could they meet you at Cobham Services ???

Last edited:

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Because you want to head towards your destination rather into London and back out again.
Redhill is a good option, come off M23 at Gatwick and head for North Terminal then back onto A23 for Redhill. Station is on A23,Follow A25( Reigate) on to M25 .
You will be practically on the M25 when you leave Redhill.

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Because you want to head towards your destination rather into London and back out again.
Redhill is a good option, come off M23 at Gatwick and head for North Terminal then back onto A23 for Redhill. Station is on A23,Follow A23 on to M25 .
You will be practically on the M25 when you leave Redhill.

Would you go onto M25 at Junction 8? I did originally look at Redhill but it didn't look easy to get onto motorway from Redhill.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
The AA routplanner says it is 3.9 miles from the Station to the M25 Heathrow bound.
Always think it is best to keep going towards my destination rather than messing about.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Park up at Hickstead.

Have a Burger King, get matey to get a cab south.

Once they arrive, get a cab into B Hill, have a few in Quench.

Then cab back to the motor, M25, M40 then M6.

Job's a fish.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Thanks.

Get them from Three Bridges 10-15 min detour before back on M23

Alternatively get them from Macdonalds (south terminal at Gatwick) no charge and you could have a piss!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Get them to jump on a train to Gatwick. Next easiest is Redhill.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Upper Warlingham station could work. I often park there to go into London, normally on the surrounding streets, no charges.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
What do people reckon to Merstham? Up the M25 to the old little chef/Starbucks? Do a u-turn. Pick up at Merstham Station then do the reverse back onto M23/25. Looks simple on the map.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here