Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I'm in the wrong job

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not literally but interested to know what industries have made you say that. Had to take the cat to the vet yesterday - very listless and off his food which never happens. And a very upset mum so off I went. Don't get me wrong, they are great. Got him home last night after antibiotics and a blood test which led to thyroid medication and a couple of other jabs. Much more himself now.

Decided that as it would likely be around £200, I would make a judgement call on using insurance which is £99 excess and 20% co payment. Needn't have worried as it was £410!

Every 2 injections were £18. That doesn't include the medicine. Cost of him staying there for 8 hours? £40. £120 gets you a half decent hotel room. Blood test was £150. Doesn't take many of them to pay for the machine. Maybe modern costs for staff mean it is fair but seems a tad steep.

So what other industries do you feel use the same mark up because they can? Beer at big events and service stations taken as read.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it's the Insurance industry which, in hand with the veterinary surgeries drive the costs up. Everyone insures their pets, the veterinary services go up, the insurance premiums go up and the veterinary costs go way beyond what people would normally be prepared to pay privately.

Car Insurance is exactly the same. The charges for hire cars and body repairs from the Insurance companies 'preferred suppliers' would never be accepted by someone paying privately, but the premiums go up :shrug:

*Edit* seeing [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] below, also happens with dental insurance

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dentists
Any private medical consultants (especially the cursory check and 5 min chat where they decide you need a scan, but still charge £300 anyway, then another £300 to tell you the scan has showed ‘exactly what I expected’)
Agents (football and estate)

….and judging by Mrs D’s credit card damage, women’s hairdressers and nail bars :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Estate Agents.

Take a couple of photos with interior lights on, tidy up then try and flog to people on the mailing list wanting something totally different.

Then charge about 1% or whatever for doing jack.

Would have sold anyhow if it's any good, just do it yourself.

Alas things like dentistry and vets are not so straight forward DIY.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Estate Agents.

Take a couple of photos with interior lights on, tidy up then try and flog to people on the mailing list wanting something totally different.

Would have sold anyhow if it's any good, just do it yourself.

Alas things like dentistry and vets are not so straight forward DIY.

You would think so, wouldn't you

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Not literally but interested to know what industries have made you say that. Had to take the cat to the vet yesterday - very listless and off his food which never happens. And a very upset mum so off I went. Don't get me wrong, they are great. Got him home last night after antibiotics and a blood test which led to thyroid medication and a couple of other jabs. Much more himself now.

Decided that as it would likely be around £200, I would make a judgement call on using insurance which is £99 excess and 20% co payment. Needn't have worried as it was £410!

Every 2 injections were £18. That doesn't include the medicine. Cost of him staying there for 8 hours? £40. £120 gets you a half decent hotel room. Blood test was £150. Doesn't take many of them to pay for the machine. Maybe modern costs for staff mean it is fair but seems a tad steep.

So what other industries do you feel use the same mark up because they can? Beer at big events and service stations taken as read.

My workmates puppy swallowed a chicken bone &, being a "first time parent" to a dog, he took him to the vets straight away in a panic. I told him it would probably be OK and would pass through naturally - but, understandably, he didn't want to take a chance....

£500 later (for a couple of scans etc) he wished he had listened as it did in fact appear a day or so later in the garden after the vet told him exactly what I did....:whistle:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dentists
Any private medical consultants (especially the cursory check and 5 min chat where they decide you need a scan, but still charge £300 anyway, then another £300 to tell you the scan has showed ‘exactly what I expected’)
Agents (football and estate)

….and judging by Mrs D’s credit card damage, women’s hairdressers and nail bars :laugh::laugh::laugh:

My lad had an emergency appointment yesterday at the dentist, for a searing pain in his jaw.

Dentist fitted him in an hour after his call, took a look, identifying an infection caused by wisdom tooth pushing through - wrote him a prescription for antibiotics, and didn’t charge anything.

Seemingly not all bandits. :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Makes you glad we humans get ‘free’ medical care eh? But I do love these simple interpretations of why vets are overly expensive. People are always banging on about in my local neighbourhood too, it’s completely understandable when you don’t really understand. Yes they make a good living and mine are exceptionally good so I don’t begrudge at all.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Our cat, only 1 year old , has had to have 16 teeth out, due to being allergic to his own plaque, resulting in gingervitis.
£600 lighter to our local vets, who did try to help us claim from animal insurer, who don't cover dental work.
Makes you mad, these insurance companies treat all.like cash cows.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Private health and dentistry.
Estate agents and solicitors

On a slightly personal note the people who charge parents hundreds of pounds to help them win appeals by giving them all the same sheet of printed off questions and very little useful advice

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
VW main dealers....
We purchased a Polo in 2010 from our local dealer, along with £2000 off for scrappage scheme.
In the first 3 years, we've taken it back for updates, where u can only surmise the talented mechanics plug a lead into the engine somewhere and connect up to a computer, for said updates.
Now we've had the car for 11years, I do know it requires an update.
The cost £150+, not paying on principle
Surely you would say this would be free, aka updates for computers, phones etc uploaded over WiFi and data.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Premier League strikers. £2.5m pa to kick a ball into a space of 192 sq feet? How hard can it be? Oh…

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I think it's the Insurance industry which, in hand with the veterinary surgeries drive the costs up. Everyone insures their pets, the veterinary services go up, the insurance premiums go up and the veterinary costs go way beyond what people would normally be prepared to pay privately.

Car Insurance is exactly the same. The charges for hire cars and body repairs from the Insurance companies 'preferred suppliers' would never be accepted by someone paying privately, but the premiums go up :shrug:

*Edit* seeing [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] below, also happens with dental insurance

The veterinary ‘business’ has sadly gone corporate.
Many former private veterinary practices have been bought up by corporate business and independently run practices run by partners are now thin on the ground. The vets are no longer partners, but employees of the business that has bought up the practice and profits are being maximised, with the individual surgeries no longer having the same discretion and autonomy they previously had, when they were independent.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
VW main dealers....
We purchased a Polo in 2010 from our local dealer, along with £2000 off for scrappage scheme.
In the first 3 years, we've taken it back for updates, where u can only surmise the talented mechanics plug a lead into the engine somewhere and connect up to a computer, for said updates.
Now we've had the car for 11years, I do know it requires an update.
The cost £150+, not paying on principle
Surely you would say this would be free, aka updates for computers, phones etc uploaded over WiFi and data.

I wouldn’t disagree and have to say, most main dealers.
Shocking prices and often a very poor service.
No wonder they are known as ‘Main Stealers.’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here