Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] van Gaal on Qatar

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Holland coach Louis van Gaal was asked in his press conference what he thought of the World Cup being in Qatar:

"Now, everybody knows that I find that ridiculous,” said Van Gaal, whose Dutch side have qualified for the finals after missing the 2018 tournament. “It’s ridiculous that we are going to play in a country – how does FIFA say it? To develop the football there. That is bullshit. But it doesn’t matter – it’s about money, commercial interests. That’s the main motive of FIFA.

“Why do you think that I’m not a member of the FIFA commission, with my UEFA expertise ? Because I have always [kept] my distance against these kinds of organisations. It’s not right, but I can say this directly about Qatar. But that does not help the world to get rid of this problem.”

Superb. :clap2:

Southgate was asked the same question this week:

"Football is all about pushing boundaries and spreading the game to new regions, so it's an exciting prospect and a great challenge. Myself and the players are embracing it and very much looking forward to it". When asked about the controversy surrounding the conditions for migrant workers in the Gulf state, Southgate was forthright. "Look, we're just going there to play some football. If some of the brickies over there have had a tough time of it then frankly, that's FIFA's lookout".

"As long as our ice-cold plunge pools are ready then it's all good. Besides", he added, "don't forget I spent 7 years at Palace playing at what basically amounts to a half-finished building site surrounded by a braying mob of drooling slack-jawed gibbering spunktrumpets, so don't start talking to me about 'working conditions'."

England play Switzerland in a friendly on Saturday, with kickoff at 5.30.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Holland coach Louis van Gaal was asked in his press conference what he thought of the World Cup being in Qatar:

"Now, everybody knows that I find that ridiculous,” said Van Gaal, whose Dutch side have qualified for the finals after missing the 2018 tournament. “It’s ridiculous that we are going to play in a country – how does FIFA say it? To develop the football there. That is bullshit. But it doesn’t matter – it’s about money, commercial interests. That’s the main motive of FIFA.

“Why do you think that I’m not a member of the FIFA commission, with my UEFA expertise ? Because I have always [kept] my distance against these kinds of organisations. It’s not right, but I can say this directly about Qatar. But that does not help the world to get rid of this problem.”

"Football is all about pushing boundaries and spreading the game to new regions, so it's an exciting prospect and a great challenge. Myself and the players are embracing it and very much looking forward to it". When asked about the controversy surrounding the conditions for migrant workers in the Gulf state, Southgate was forthright. "Look, we're just going there to play some football. If some of the brickies over there have had a tough time of it then frankly, that's FIFA's lookout".

"As long as our ice-cold plunge pools are ready then it's all good. Besides", he added, "don't forget I spent 7 years at Palace playing at what basically amounts to a half-finished building site surrounded by a braying mob of drooling slack-jawed gibbering spunktrumpets, so don't start talking to me about 'working conditions'."

Very good, that's made me laugh :thumbsup:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Unlike our team a very much welcome return to form.

I haven’t often agreed with much Van Gaal says but this is spot on. Top bombing. Why it takes an alien to point out the failings of the human race I’m not entirely sure.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Careful, you will upset Dougie and SE20!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You've got to hand it to FIFA. Gving a powerful country a global tournament is literally more likely to bring that country closer to the rest of us, like it did with Russia 2018 for instance.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Post of the week. :bowdown:

Pity you had to make up all that Van Gaal quote though, but still.....

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
A mate of mine went to Qatar a few years ago to watch football. He visited the sites of several of the planned stadiums. Not only did they not exist, but neither did the towns - just hoardings in the desert proclaiming the future developments.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A mate of mine went to Qatar a few years ago to watch football. He visited the sites of several of the planned stadiums. Not only did they not exist, but neither did the towns - just hoardings in the desert proclaiming the future developments.

I've already watched England play Brazil out there in 2009 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uLzPBbRYA4

Incidentally this was allegedly put on there to tout for votes for Englands world cup 2018 / 2022 bid :stupid:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Should be nearly finished by now though and only cost the death of 6500 migrant workers to date. Wonder if that’s better or worse then they predicted!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Are we actually in danger of developing a backbone? Harry Kane reacts to Easy’s post:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60852693

I heard this interview last night. No need to worry, no backbone is being developed.

It would seem that the containment strategy in the England camp is not to go on the front foot - but instead to parrot the party line about 'shinning a light' prepared by the media department for the players and management to spin out whenever issues are raised by journalists.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So is it worth leaving the likes of Foden back in the UK rather than take them to Qatar?

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Qatar and can lead to a 7 year jail sentence. That's not quite as severe as being caught with cocaine where the sentence is death.

Alcohol isn't actually illegal, but being drunk in public is. Expect a pint to cost at least £10 as they apply a 'sin' tax.

I'm sure it will all be fine...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So is it worth leaving the likes of Foden back in the UK rather than take them to Qatar?

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Qatar and can lead to a 7 year jail sentence. That's not quite as severe as being caught with cocaine where the sentence is death.

Alcohol isn't actually illegal, but being drunk in public is. Expect a pint to cost at least £10 as they apply a 'sin' tax.

I'm sure it will all be fine...

If you mean for his sake... no problem, they obviously aren't going to do anything with him or any other footballer.

If you mean for your own, I suggest you should not **** Phil Foden during the World Cup despite him probably being able to bail you out in the end.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here