Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One game from the sack

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Clearly GP’s job is safe whatever the Norwich result but sitting in the sun, recalling Albion of yesteryear thinking about how many times our respective managers have been potentially one game away from being fired?

The one that springs immediately to mind, was October 1988 against Leeds United, Barry Lloyd’s newly promoted side had started their Division 2 campaign with 8 straight defeats, 6 in the League, and a two legged league cup tie against Southend.

Once we’d kissed and made up I spoke to the late Dudley Sizen a few years later who told me that prior to the arrival of Billy Bremners men at the Goldstone, concerns had been raised at the weekly board meeting, initially shut down by an animated Greg Stanley (clearly the pubs were open) but Dudley admitted that if Leeds had won emphatically that day, the axe may very well have fallen on Baz on the Monday.

Thankfully an exciting 2-1 win provided the Albion with their first three points of the season and Barry went on for another 5 years.

Any other examples spring to mind?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not quite what you're asking as I can't think of an Albion example (the obvious non-Albion one was Alex Ferguson winning the cup).

But I remember the end of McGhee at home against Stoke. It was obvious by half time he was gone, I remember those who stayed to the end actually applauded him off as he waved goodbye.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not quite what you're asking as I can't think of an Albion example (the obvious non-Albion one was Alex Ferguson winning the cup).

But I remember the end of McGhee at home against Stoke. It was obvious by half time he was gone, I remember those who stayed to the end actually applauded him off as he waved goodbye.

Not sure that was his last game, sure he started of the next season in the League 1? Should have been sacked after Stoke (and I did not applaud him after) as it was a disgrace of a performance.

Lol if you were saying Boom had made up his mind by then, fair enough but it was actually well before that for him I think, according to the reporting

It did actually take a few more games 6 or 7? the next season for the actual chairman to be persuaded into it

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lol if you were saying Boom had made up his mind by then, fair enough but it was actually well before that for him I think, according to the reporting

It did actually take a few more games 6 or 7? the next season for the actual chairman to be persuaded into it

Yeah. McGhee was still managert at the start of the following season in League One - lasting seven games in total before Dean Wilkins took over.

So this is an example of what Lenny was referring to - even though he didn't last very long!

That 1988-89 season actually started with eight straight defeats in total - we also lost home and away to Southend in the League Cup!

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Thought Hyppia would be gone after that Millwall home game . Managed to last another week and resigned rather than got the boot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thought Hyppia would be gone after that Millwall home game . Managed to last another week and resigned rather than got the boot

The irony being that Albion played well at Wolverhampton that Saturday.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Pat Saward. Quoted in the Argus: 'I don't know what to say anymore (I think that bit's right). I am in a fog.' I had to re-read it in disbelief about a manager coming out with that even if having to admire his honesty. Next day I think it was and he was gone.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Pat Saward. Quoted in the Argus: 'I don't know what to say anymore (I think that bit's right). I am in a fog.' I had to re-read it in disbelief about a manager coming out with that even if having to admire his honesty. Next day I think it was and he was gone.

Vintage Vinicombe?

You do wonder if Brian Owen would print a similar quote today, or even be allowed to by the Editor?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you think the severance package was already in place before they left for the Black Country?

Which almost lifted the pressure on him?

I couldn't comment on that. But it was a really enjoyable game.

I liked the football Albion played under Sami. I'm a big fan of wing backs. I also felt he was very unfortunate because of the awful recruitment. I think we had five loan signings.

But they were in a downward spiral and something had to give. We needed a firefighter. Chris came at the right time.

But as unsuited as Sami was, he had the worst cards of any Albion manager in the AMEX era.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As for Barry Lloyd. I was at the 4-0 defeat at Port Vale. I think many of us thought he would be gone during the week.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Maybe my memory is playing tricks but was Mickey Adams quite near the sack in his first spell?

Dick Knight persuaded him to change tactics and the signing on loan of Zamora and Brooker saved his bacon

Last edited:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I couldn't comment on that. But it was a really enjoyable game.

I liked the football Albion played under Sami. I'm a big fan of wing backs. I also felt he was very unfortunate because of the awful recruitment. I think we had five loan signings.

But they were in a downward spiral and something had to give. We needed a firefighter. Chris came at the right time.

But as unsuited as Sami was, he had the worst cards of any Albion manager in the AMEX era.

Whilst I don't think it was all Sami's fault, it's quite telling that since getting the sack from FC Zurich in 2016, he's had no managerial job..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Clearly GP’s job is safe whatever the Norwich result but sitting in the sun, recalling Albion of yesteryear thinking about how many times our respective managers have been potentially one game away from being fired?

The one that springs immediately to mind, was October 1988 against Leeds United, Barry Lloyd’s newly promoted side had started their Division 2 campaign with 8 straight defeats, 6 in the League, and a two legged league cup tie against Southend.

Once we’d kissed and made up I spoke to the late Dudley Sizen a few years later who told me that prior to the arrival of Billy Bremners men at the Goldstone, concerns had been raised at the weekly board meeting, initially shut down by an animated Greg Stanley (clearly the pubs were open) but Dudley admitted that if Leeds had won emphatically that day, the axe may very well have fallen on Baz on the Monday.

Thankfully an exciting 2-1 win provided the Albion with their first three points of the season and Barry went on for another 5 years.

Any other examples spring to mind?

Dudley Sizen, the Albion vice-chairman who ordered my pal Hugo & l off the team coach during a pre-season tour in Lisbon back in 1988/89 . . . but that's a whole different story.

The second coming of Micky Adams probably lasted for far longer than it should have done. They say never go back, and l think this proves it's probably good advice. It tainted his reputation with some fans l know, and that is such a great shame.

In hindsight Dick should never have sacked Dean Wilkins and given Micky the job. Probably the biggest mistake he ever made.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

If Sami hadn't fallen on his sword it makes one wonder how much longer it would have taken Tony Bloom wo wield the axe.

Very much longer and Championship survival could have become very difficult indeed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Dudley Sizen, the Albion vice-chairman who ordered my pal Hugo & l off the team coach during a pre-season tour in Lisbon back in 1988/89 . . . but that's a whole different story.

The second coming of Micky Adams probably lasted for far longer than it should have done. They say never go back, and l think this proves it's probably good advice. It tainted his reputation with some fans l know, and that is such a great shame.

In hindsight Dick should never have sacked Dean Wilkins and given Micky the job. Probably the biggest mistake he ever made.

I love Dick (ooh er missus) but speaking to him about the whole Micky/Dean scenario last year he was clearly deluded that day back in 2008.

He actually believed Dean would take it on the chin, welcome Micky back and revert to First Team Coach, was never going to happen and I do wonder if other board members at the time effectively gave Dick enough rope and let him get on with it?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe my memory is playing tricks but was Mickey Adams quite near the sack in his first spell?

Dick Knight persuaded him to change tactics and the signing on loan of Zamora and Brooker saved his bacon

Maybe signing those two yes, but I can’t see Micky being persuaded by any Chairman to change his tactics 😂

Maybe the Adams bit? Surely not the Wilkins bit who wouldn’t hold another job as a No1 ever again. Realistically I don’t think any big decisions Knight took at this stage mattered a huge amount, we weren’t getting out of League 1 again until Bloom opened his wallet

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People love to point the the Alex Ferguson example as if the only way to stop a bad run is to stick with your manager, but always seem to miss that he won that game he had to win to stay in his job, which immediately differentiates himself from the managers who lost those 'one chance to save their careers' games, and thus were fired. It ignores those several years where a struggling Sunderland side would sack their manager and survive (albeit for the manager to struggle the following year needing replacement, but it worked for the season it was intended to). Similarly Palace's first few years in this stay in the premier league. It also ignores that chance are if they don't change they go down anyway - look at Norwich, Dean Smith has given them a bit more fight, and initial bounce in results, but they still look like they're going down, but did anyone see Daniel Farke turning into Ferguson mk2 if they stuck by him? They also ignore how different football was back then - his 'one match' occurred when managers were always given more time and it wasn't anything special, by the time football became so quick to fire managers, he was almost always winning trophies and not giving anyone an excuse to sack him.

Anyway, this is probably not the intent of the thread. Just what I think of whenever people bring up Fergie being close to being sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here