Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Totp 1992

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Manic Street Preachers in front of a Soviet flag. Is that supposed to reflect their love of communism? It looks utterly idiotic now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Manic Street Preachers in front of a Soviet flag. Is that supposed to reflect their love of communism? It looks utterly idiotic now.

I wouldn't overthink what a record company marketing executive thought was "edgy" in the 1990s. I also recall there was a perceived "coolness" about Soviet art in the 90s and the Manic Street Preachers weren't the only ones using it.

As for their love of communism:

Cuba was what I expected. Communism is a failure – I’m fully aware of that. I just wanted to see the one place it still operates. People go on about the poverty in Cuba, but the life expectancy is 79.4 years. That’s not poverty. Africa is poverty. And the education – everyone I met spoke English. I was impressed by certain parts, but the reality of a communist state was… a reality. There were elements of it that were absolutely shit.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I wouldn't overthink what a record company marketing executive thought was "edgy" in the 1990s. I also recall there was a perceived "coolness" about Soviet art in the 90s and the Manic Street Preachers weren't the only ones using it.

As for their love of communism:

Cuba was what I expected. Communism is a failure – I’m fully aware of that. I just wanted to see the one place it still operates. People go on about the poverty in Cuba, but the life expectancy is 79.4 years. That’s not poverty. Africa is poverty. And the education – everyone I met spoke English. I was impressed by certain parts, but the reality of a communist state was… a reality. There were elements of it that were absolutely shit.

That’s really good research! Very impressed.

Soviet flag was exactly what you say. It’s very awkward seeing it out of context now.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Christ. Jimmy Nail’s a difficult watch.

How on earth did he convince anyone to give him a microphone? I’d didn’t have a clue in 1992 and still don’t have a clue now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That’s really good research! Very impressed.

Soviet flag was exactly what you say. It’s very awkward seeing it out of context now.

I'm always incredibly uncomfortable when I see that iconography, for one reason and one reason only. I've had a few friends who grew up under that regime and they haven't become screaming right wing nationalists either or fans of the "Imperialist West".

It really pains them to see it as "cool" in the West.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

How on earth did he convince anyone to give him a microphone? I’d didn’t have a clue in 1992 and still don’t have a clue now.

He's quite good in the Evita movie, though

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve been enjoying these old TOTP yearly re runs !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Which has just reminded me of my favourite drunken debate in a while, from a friend's 50th in December just gone - "Was Jimmy Nail Balearic?".

Because everything has gone swimmingly in Russia since 1992 after its rejection of Communism and embrace of huge privatisation and capitalism?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
amazed how many big songs that year produced. For me, that period was the Zenith of music eras; Heavy metal was at it's best, Metallica and Iron Maiden led the way, Grunge emerged, Nirvana released Nevermind, House music, Drum and Bass, and rave culture was exploding. Was a great time to be a teenager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here