Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v NZ CWC Official Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Surprised there isn't already a thread about this, absolute must win game tonight against the hosts in a partisan bear pit of an atmosphere. Great to see how much NZ have got behind this tournament with big covid secure crowds within the biosecure bubbles the teams are playing in. Come on England you can do it!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
No finer sight in World Cricket than Anya Shrubsole roaring into bowl fast swing.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sophie Devine in real trouble here. As a cricket fan I'm gutted but as an England fan this is just what we need.

Thumbs up to to the thousands in attendance.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
NZ really starting to get into the groove and they're an unstoppable outfit when they do. The socially distanced pods in the audience really getting behind their girls/they's.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
England are chasing 204 to win and are currently 57-2 after 11 overs.
I'm sure Crodo will have stayed up with some cocoa and biscuits to listen on the wireless.

Come on girls, you can do it!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well done Ladies, in the semis and avoided the all conquering Aussies.

Lost the first 3 games then onwards and upwards by winning 4 on the bounce. Showing the men the way forward.

Bring on the Saffers.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Set your alarms for 2am, the semi final v SA.

Any World Cup semi is a huge occasion, and this one will be no different. Not sure who the socially distanced NZ crowd will want to win but I'm sure ultimately we all want cricket to be the winner.

#backthebabes

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looking good for the babes, currently in control.

:clap:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Five-for for the tournament’s best bowler Sophie Eccleston, has England on the brink of the final.

SA 152/9 chasing England’s 293…

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Five-for for the tournament’s best bowler Sophie Eccleston, has England on the brink of the final.

SA 152/9 chasing England’s 293…

She's been awesome. Interesting suggestion from Alex Hartley that Ecclestone could play for Lancashire (men). There's no reason why a female spinner couldn't fit into a men's team - they're not relying on strength. She's streets ahead of any other bowler in this WC

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
She's been awesome. Interesting suggestion from Alex Hartley that Ecclestone could play for Lancashire (men). There's no reason why a female spinner couldn't fit into a men's team - they're not relying on strength. She's streets ahead of any other bowler in this WC

I don't know about the Lancashire Mens team, but she'd definitely get in the England Men's team!!! :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
South Africa got what they deserved. From the highlights, it seems they dropped Wyatt FIVE times, and all but one of them ranged from routine chances to absolute dollies. Eccleston looks very good though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Spin bowling and wicketkeeping are the two disciplines where the importance of physical strength over technique is minimal, and a woman could feasibly play in a high-level men's side.

Two points though:

1. As good a bowler as Eccleston looks, you can only judge her against the quality of batters she's taking on. I honestly think she'd be smashed out of the attack very quickly by top level men. At the pace she's bowling every good ball, they'd have time to watch the turn, and every ball that misses its line / length, is going over the ropes.

2. Whilst a woman spinner could bowl, you'd need to consider that they'll also have to field and bat.

In short - I'll just enjoy watching her bowl brilliantly, to her peers.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Spin bowling and wicketkeeping are the two disciplines where the importance of physical strength over technique is minimal, and a woman could feasibly play in a high-level men's side.

Two points though:

1. As good a bowler as Eccleston looks, you can only judge her against the quality of batters she's taking on. I honestly think she'd be smashed out of the attack very quickly by top level men. At the pace she's bowling every good ball, they'd have time to watch the turn, and every ball that misses its line / length, is going over the ropes.

2. Whilst a woman spinner could bowl, you'd need to consider that they'll also have to field and bat.

In short - I'll just enjoy watching her bowl brilliantly, to her peers.

My questions was going to be at what pace does she bowl? Having faced some top level (and England) spinners in the past, the pace they bowled at has always shocked me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Two points though:

She bowls at a fair pace, there'll be male bowlers who are slower than her. And she genuinely turns the ball too.

Whilst a woman spinner could bowl, you'd need to consider that they'll also have to field and bat.

True enough ... but I've seen Phil Tufnell and Monty Panesar play for England. Lack of batting and fielding ability didn't stop them :lolol:

Ecclestone is still young - particularly by spinner standards. I've no idea whether she even wants to play men's cricket but she may want a new challenge.

I thought Sarah Taylor would be the first woman to play F/C cricket. She was widely considered to be the best keeper in the world (male or female) at her peak but, sadly, for non-cricketing reasons it was not to be. Ecclestone may well be tempted to be the pioneer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here