Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jeffrey Archer

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bit behind the times, but I was surprised to learn that the obnoxious ex-MP kept his position as a Lord despite being convicted of purjury and perverting the course of justice and sentenced to four years in prison. He kept all the privileges and benefits of being a Member of the House of Lords and having a say on our laws, policy and legislation. How the hell does that work - surely he should have been stripped of his barontcy? There's a lot of professions you'd be barred from for having a serious criminal conviction, but not apparently being part of an unelected elite ruling the country. Astounding.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was expecting an RIP thread. Ah well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit behind the times, but I was surprised to learn that the obnoxious ex-MP kept his position as a Lord despite being convicted of purjury and perverting the course of justice and sentenced to four years in prison. He kept all the privileges and benefits of being a Member of the House of Lords and having a say on our laws, policy and legislation. How the hell does that work - surely he should have been stripped of his barontcy? There's a lot of professions you'd be barred from for having a serious criminal conviction, but not apparently being part of an unelected elite ruling the country. Astounding.

He’s a Life Peer…..can’t be removed.

https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/peerages-can-they-be-removed/

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Might be wrong, but primarily the reason he is still there is that he was convicted before they changed the law in 2014.

They can now kick Lords for non attendance but Archer has managed to walk up to the road (literally) to work 13 times from April 2015 to August 2021 claiming no expenses.

I've mapped it for him to help.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pen...a5de892b081!2m2!1d-0.1248001!2d51.4988393!3e2

P.S. Everyone knows where he lives, he's been telling everyone every since he bought it and loves being pictured in his penthouse flat.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not to mention another elected Peer who is a Russian Oligarch, close to Putin, father is senior KGB and not surprising Mi5 have serious misgivings about.

Still, if you’re mates with loads of celebs and the PM then why worry about national security for the plebs?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Might be wrong, but primarily the reason he is still there is that he was convicted before they changed the law in 2014.

They can now kick Lords for non attendance but Archer has managed to walk up to the road (literally) to work 13 times from April 2015 to August 2021 claiming no expenses.

I've mapped it for him to help.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pen...a5de892b081!2m2!1d-0.1248001!2d51.4988393!3e2

P.S. Everyone knows where he lives, he's been telling everyone every since he bought it and loves being pictured in his penthouse flat.

And he also has his beautiful house in Grantchester.

Thanks for identifying the location. It's pretty near that lovely bar on the boat on the Thames. I'll have to remember to have a piss outside his flat the next time I go there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here