Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New kitchen

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We're about half way through having our kitchen extended, and are approaching the stage where we're going to buy units, appliances, etc, and grateful for feedback from others who have done something similar of late -- what worked, what didn't, what do you regret not getting?

There's also a more specific question. We're weighing up whether to get a Quooker, or the cheaper, unbranded alternative that Howdens do. Does anyone who live in B&H, or surrounding area with similarly hard water, have experience of using these? It's the hard water that's prompting second thoughts, especially if it means it requires regular servicing.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
We're about half way through having our kitchen extended, and are approaching the stage where we're going to buy units, appliances, etc, and grateful for feedback from others who have done something similar of late -- what worked, what didn't, what do you regret not getting?

There's also a more specific question. We're weighing up whether to get a Quooker, or the cheaper, unbranded alternative that Howdens do. Does anyone who live in B&H, or surrounding area with similarly hard water, have experience of using these? It's the hard water that's prompting second thoughts, especially if it means it requires regular servicing.

Don't go Howdens. Quality is not good enough for the price, so many cheaper places like wren, Magnet or B&Q that have better quality kitchens. Also, the kitchen that you buy can only be bought by someone who has a trade account as they don't trade with the public, meaning its under their name if anything goes wrong. There is Quooker, although you can also go for Insinkerator taps which are cheaper. You can go for CDA appliances which are good and low price as they don't advertise. I would say a company to go to, but seeing as i work at one, it could be seen as advertising.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We recently had our kitchen redone, got everything from Wren Kitchens, went to the Eastbourne showroom and they were very helpful.
We had a carpenter I know fit the kitchen and the chap that did the plumbing was first class. :whistle::)

As a plumber I personally wouldn’t buy a very expensive tap that just seems to do the job of a kettle combined with a normal tap for hot and cold water. I know some of these taps also do filtered cold water, but I’ve got a fridge that does this.
I’m not sure how long they last with the hard water in the Brighton area.
Howdens normal kitchen taps are not the best quality in my opinion

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Wren done our kitchen 3 years ago....original quote was (22k I think) anyway the salesman called me the next day after the quote I told him im not paying 22 he asked what my budget was so I told him 12K he immediatly matched that price and included fitting......Should have told him 10K..

Good quality kitchen and well fitted.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not sure there’s much difference between Howdens & magnet & wren kitchen units - there all basically plywood with a veneer finish 20 mm .

There is a big difference between kitchen appliance makes - you can go for the low end howdens or Beko which are ok but if you look at which reviews are usually towards the bottom end for reliability and how long they last for .

Mid range something like a Bosch or neff score usually a lot more highly and give a better impression when you go to sell your home .

If I saw howdens appliances or beko , hotpoint etc in a kitchen , I would assume the kitchen had been done on a tight budget .

At the higher end , appliances like smeg and Siemens usually score very highly by which magazine although obviously are a lot more expensive.

Depends on your overall budget .

If you have no upper budget , I’d recommend sub zero fridges and wolf cooker ! They are used a lot in high end NY apartments .

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Not sure there’s much difference between Howdens & magnet & wren kitchen units - there all basically plywood with a veneer finish 20 mm .

There is a big difference between kitchen appliance makes - you can go for the low end howdens or Beko which are ok but if you look at which reviews are usually towards the bottom end for reliability and how long they last for .

Mid range something like a Bosch or neff score usually a lot more highly and give a better impression when you go to sell your home .

If I saw howdens appliances or beko , hotpoint etc in a kitchen , I would assume the kitchen had been done on a tight budget .

At the higher end , appliances like smeg and Siemens usually score very highly by which magazine although obviously are a lot more expensive.

Depends on your overall budget .

If you have no upper budget , I’d recommend sub zero fridges and wolf cooker ! They are used a lot in high end NY apartments .

There is definitely a difference between the three in terms of unit size, how much each can hold in terms of weight and their fixings.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I've fitted half a dozen or more Howdens kitchens over the years. A mate recommend me to fit a Magnet one in the last house we did up. Was impressed with the quality, thought it better than Howdens and cheaper too in a like for like quote.

Definitely would not use any of them to get appliances from tho. AO.com and other in line retailers beat them hands down in price for the same stuff.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Another vote for Wren. Very pleased. The guy who fit our kitchen, who we’ve know for years, was impressed with the drawings and labelling up of packs when delivered. Saved a lot of time. He won’t fit Howdens kitchens.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We recently had our kitchen redone, got everything from Wren Kitchens, went to the Eastbourne showroom and they were very helpful.
We had a carpenter I know fit the kitchen and the chap that did the plumbing was first class. :whistle::)

As a plumber I personally wouldn’t buy a very expensive tap that just seems to do the job of a kettle combined with a normal tap for hot and cold water. I know some of these taps also do filtered cold water, but I’ve got a fridge that does this.

Fair play to giving [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] some work. I knew you liked him. :wink: :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do do Howdens or Wren.

As good as any of cheaper makers, with excellent pricing. Used by all the chippies we know.

Ours was fitted 11 years ago, looks as good as new.

But always buy your own appliances online. Choose want exactly you want, then pay the lowest price for each one. That’s not an anti Howdens thing, ALL kitchen suppliers make super-profit from customers on appliances.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My mate has a kitchen company matching Howdens and all the other builder kitchens although far superior quality units. Ideally you want the carcass to match the door colour gives a much more expensive feel. Add a stone work top for the perfect finish.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

No mention of the sparks ??? :D

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I’ve been told by my chippy that IKEA units are very good. Economies of scale and all that. So that and bespoke doors is what we’re thinking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I’ve been told by my chippy that IKEA units are very good. Economies of scale and all that. So that and bespoke doors is what we’re thinking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doors are 70% of the price of a kitchen. You'll probably end up paying more just for bespoke doors than a full kitchen at the companies i've listed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me man currently doing the bathroom is very eager to Howdens my kitchen.

I believe it's my 'why are you asking me? just do what you would if it were your own' approach to the client/contractor relationship which he's enjoying.

He's doing a fantastic job and I can fairly safely say I would have completely ruined it had I made any choices.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Me man currently doing the bathroom is very eager to Howdens my kitchen.

I believe it's my 'why are you asking me? just do what you would if it were your own' approach to the client/contractor relationship which he's enjoying.

He's doing a fantastic job and I can fairly safely say I would have completely ruined it had I made any choices.
Be careful, Howdens gives tradesmen discounts, which sometimes aren't passed on to the customer. Also, if anything goes wrong with it, its under his name, not yours.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here