Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gatwick Express . . . A White Elephant?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well Govia Thameslink have finally announced that their flagship Gatwick Express service, mothballed since the start of the Pandemic, (apart from a brief reappearance last December), is to be reinstated as of the 3rd of April, commencing with a two trains per hour frequency, to be extended to four once ongoing works to improve Gatwick Airport Station have been completed.

My question though is this. Is the Gawick Express really necessary anyway? both Southern, and Thameslink offer a more than decent schedule anyway from multiple stations within London, Victoria, London Bridge, Blackfriars, Kings Cross St.Pancras et al. Ticket prices are cheaper too, and the journey times are only marginally longer.

I'm afraid l see the Gatwick Express as somewhat elitist in this immediate post pandemic era and a total white elephant, at least until passenger numbers into and out of Gatwick increase significantly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
White Elephant why? More capacity the better. More options. It was a happy day indeed when the Gatwick Express got extended to run on to Brighton. More capacity the better - with the added bonus that it FLIES through East Croydon :wave:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It used to be the best connection to Brighton from where I lived. Don't go to Three Bridges and get a slow train, go one stop further and then get the fast train straight to Brighton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
White Elephant why? More capacity the better. More options. It was a happy day indeed when the Gatwick Express got extended to run on to Brighton. More capacity the better - with the added bonus that it FLIES through East Croydon :wave:

Just close your eyes and hold your nose as you thunder past East Croydon and Smellhurst, saving all of five whole minutes to your journey, and you will be absolutely fine. :p

I'm all for extra capacity in time, once flights and passenger numbers ramp up significantly, but not yet awhile. In any case all that extra rolling stock, sitting in sidings gathering dust can be better utilised on other routes if and until that happens.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just close your eyes and hold your nose as you thunder past East Croydon and Smellhurst, saving all of five whole minutes to your journey, and you will be absolutely fine. :p

I'm all for extra capacity in time, once flights and passenger numbers ramp up significantly, but not yet awhile. In any case all that extra rolling stock, sitting in sidings gathering dust can be better utilised on other routes if and until that happens.

Dunno, if you're an unsure tourist in a strange land, you probably want the comforting reassurance of a big red dedicated well-signposted train with maximum space for luggage and minimum room for confusion. OK, you pay a bit more for the option, but helluva lot cheaper than a cab. And no hidden traps either. I was in Rome a couple of weeks back, used the equivalent Leonardo Express from FCO into town. €14. Not cheap. And a shocker of a €50 fine if you don't stick your ticket in the ticket validation machine before boarding. Now THAT's a major revenue stream right there

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

where are these other busy routes? reckon they put the service on because there is enough traffic to warrant it, and it focuses tourists on the designated train leaving the regular trains for commuters/locals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Other cities offer something very similar from the city centre to the airport, we've been on these in Oslo and Stockholm.

Gets you to the airport sooner, just one or two stops, for a more expensive fare.

Seems to work. Locals wanting to save Krone/Krona, take the slower trains.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If no one wants it then profits will fall and they'll bin it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
where are these other busy routes? reckon they put the service on because there is enough traffic to warrant it, and it focuses tourists on the designated train leaving the regular trains for commuters/locals.

Between Brighton and Lewes on match days/nights?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this an either/or situation?

Gotta be the White Elephant - quicker, cheaper and more reliable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As a Brighton -> Victoria commuter, it was bloody lovely back when they were running every 15 minutes during peak hours, and can't wait until they do so again. And yes, not stopping at East Croydon is an added bonus.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The South terminal re-opens in a week or so, and the North terminal was absolutely rammed when we flew out on a Saturday morning around a month back.

I imagine the demand will be there, which is why they're bringing the service back.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I’m commuting to Victoria for a couple of months and only ever seem to get on GX trains. All the trains that currently have one thing in common, they’re all incredibly uncomfortable. The old Gatwick Express trains had seats like armchairs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’m commuting to Victoria for a couple of months and only ever seem to get on GX trains. All the trains that currently have one thing in common, they’re all incredibly uncomfortable. The old Gatwick Express trains had seats like armchairs.

Compared to budget airline bucket seats, Gatwick Express seats prob STILL feel like armchairs to those the service was designed for

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As a Brighton -> Victoria commuter, it was bloody lovely back when they were running every 15 minutes during peak hours, and can't wait until they do so again. And yes, not stopping at East Croydon is an added bonus.

Oh indeed. In the days when I used to have to commute by rail (thankfully over) the Gatwick Express was an absolute godsend. I'm old enough to remember the days in the 1970s when British Rail used to run a train from Brighton to Victoria non-stop. Then they added East Croydon and the rot set in. The Gatwick Express brought that 'Express' feeling back. Not stopping at East Croydon, and more importantly Clapham Junction, was just fantastic. You knew once you were on you weren't going to end the journey with two people sitting on your lap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The South terminal re-opens in a week or so, and the North terminal was absolutely rammed when we flew out on a Saturday morning around a month back.

I imagine the demand will be there, which is why they're bringing the service back.

The North terminal has been rammed every weekend I have used it. Another marker of demand is the Premier Inn over the road from the north terminal…this has been selling out regularly at weekends.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Dunno, if you're an unsure tourist in a strange land, you probably want the comforting reassurance of a big red dedicated well-signposted train with maximum space for luggage and minimum room for confusion. OK, you pay a bit more for the option, but helluva lot cheaper than a cab. And no hidden traps either. I was in Rome a couple of weeks back, used the equivalent Leonardo Express from FCO into town. €14. Not cheap. And a shocker of a €50 fine if you don't stick your ticket in the ticket validation machine before boarding. Now THAT's a major revenue stream right there

€14 for a journey into a major city from airport sounds cheap enojgh to me! But yes don't forget to get the ticket stamped before you board the train. €50 fine for me in Berlin for that too. Never got taught about that at school...

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

And, unless they have changed the platforms, you have a 5 minute walk to actually reach Roma Termini when it arrives!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here