Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wolves travel

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Looking forward to this one but I’ve never done Wolves before.
Trainline suggests going Gatwick-Reading-Wolverhampton but that’s over 4 hours each way! Is it quicker to go through London and Brum?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looking forward to this one but I’ve never done Wolves before.
Trainline suggests going Gatwick-Reading-Wolverhampton but that’s over 4 hours each way! Is it quicker to go through London and Brum?

Only way via London is Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street then cross to New Street and onwards to Wolverhampton

West Coast Mainline shut

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Only way via London is Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street then cross to New Street and onwards to Wolverhampton

West Coast Mainline shut

Thanks. I did Marylebone <> Moor St for Villa this season, I don’t fancy that again.
State of our public transport system when it’s quicker, and probably cheaper, to drive than train it 🙁

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’ve been on a bit of an away match “hiatus” for a few years with one thing or another, one of the reasons being in the early PL days me and the boy couldn’t get tickets. We’ve now found it easier and we’re sorted for Wolves (we never made the cut for Arsenal though) without hijacking the thread, what’s the deal with getting the best train prices etc, and if you buy in advance what do you guys do about kick off changes? (I appreciate Wolves should be ok, I just mean generally)

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks. I did Marylebone <> Moor St for Villa this season, I don’t fancy that again.
State of our public transport system when it’s quicker, and probably cheaper, to drive than train it [emoji853]

Even if it’s one person- petrol for driving is often cheaper than the ludicrous train ticket prices. Once you get 2, 3, 4 people travelling together - driving is massively cheaper.

Does rely on not everyone drinking though [emoji2369]

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I’ve got a work thing in Leicester on the Friday with hotel stay so be coming back with spare seats in my car

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I’ve been on a bit of an away match “hiatus” for a few years with one thing or another, one of the reasons being in the early PL days me and the boy couldn’t get tickets. We’ve now found it easier and we’re sorted for Wolves (we never made the cut for Arsenal though) without hijacking the thread, what’s the deal with getting the best train prices etc, and if you buy in advance what do you guys do about kick off changes? (I appreciate Wolves should be ok, I just mean generally)

If there is more than one of you a Two Together railcard will pay for itself after one or two trips. There are some pretty good group save deals as well.

Unless it’s an amazing deal, I’ve stopped buying Advance singles for specific trains. Anytime returns aren’t usually much more expensive but the extra flexibility is worth it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If there is more than one of you a Two Together railcard will pay for itself after one or two trips. There are some pretty good group save deals as well.

Unless it’s an amazing deal, I’ve stopped buying Advance singles for specific trains. Anytime returns aren’t usually much more expensive but the extra flexibility is worth it.

Agreed, letting the train take the strain, (that comment ages me), means that everyone can relax & imbibe in alcohol if they so wish, plus contrary to an earlier post, with the continuing rise of fuel prices l can see the rail option proving to be the cheaper in the not very distant future.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The rail network really doesn't like us does it

It doesn't seem to like anyone at the moment!

To be honest of the two different options l think l'd favour going up through London( even though it means having to cross Birmingham from Moor Street to New Street Stations).

The line from Gatwick to Reading often seems to have rail replacement buses at the weekend, and Reading to Wolverhampton is operated by Arriva Cross Country, who seem to be beset with delays from my experience.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Pretty much two years ago exactly was our last match before lockdown away to wolves and the trains were shit that day as well

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Train tickets a lot cheaper if you get direct from Chiltern. They are still selling super off peak which will take you from London to Birmingham Moor Street. Then a walk to New Street and £6 return to Wolverhampton. That’s what we’ve done.

theboybilly

I would very likely have done this had we taken the touchline seats but Molineux is an appalling stadium for legroom. How it ever passed regulations is beyond me. Having just that quadrant made it an easy decision

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would very likely have done this had we taken the touchline seats but Molineux is an appalling stadium for legroom. How it ever passed regulations is beyond me. Having just that quadrant made it an easy decision

Doesn’t really matter when 90% are standing anyway :shrug:

theboybilly

Doesn’t really matter when 90% are standing anyway :shrug:

I get where you are coming from but for a bloke with seriously dodgy knees this is why I can't do Molineux. Believe me I have complained to Wolves about the lack of thought given to building a pitch side wall that is 10 yards from the touchline but only gives a few inches of legroom. I would suffer the view at pitch level for room to, not so much stretch out, but at least be able to not have to sit at an uncomfortable angle against a concrete wall in an already tight space. I don't understand the thinking behind this design. A horrible ground

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get where you are coming from but for a bloke with seriously dodgy knees this is why I can't do Molineux. Believe me I have complained to Wolves about the lack of thought given to building a pitch side wall that is 10 yards from the touchline but only gives a few inches of legroom. I would suffer the view at pitch level for room to, not so much stretch out, but at least be able to not have to sit at an uncomfortable angle against a concrete wall in an already tight space. I don't understand the thinking behind this design. A horrible ground

It’s not the worst for legroom tbf. Old Trafford, Goodison, QPR…….plenty worse out there. Hopefully all these ‘iconic’ grounds will be upgraded over time

theboybilly

It’s not the worst for legroom tbf. Old Trafford, Goodison, QPR…….plenty worse out there. Hopefully all these ‘iconic’ grounds will be upgraded over time

Perhaps, but there was a Twitter post recently where Away fans were celebrating and one lad fell between seats. He was lucky not to break his leg because it was just so tight for room - Molineux.
I do agree about the examples you've added mind. Bern to all, never again (and another email sent to QPR on the matter)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here