Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travelling to US - ESTA problem

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Hope there's a quick answer to this. Essentially, I'm trying to complete an ESTA application for entry into the US, however I've reached a stumbling block. The form asks me for my passport issue and expiry date, the correct answers to which are 29th May 2018 and 29th July 2028 - ten years and two months apart.

However, the form seems to assume that they should be precisely two years apart and won't let me enter that as the value. It's happy if I change it to 29th May 2028, however this obviously isn't correct. If I enter that value to progress the application, is that going to be seen as a trivial discrepancy or am I going to be denied entry. I assume the latter, but welcome any advice.

If that's the case, what am I to do?

Thanks!

esta.png

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Hope there's a quick answer to this. Essentially, I'm trying to complete an ESTA application for entry into the US, however I've reached a stumbling block. The form asks me for my passport issue and expiry date, the correct answers to which are 29th May 2018 and 29th July 2028 - ten years and two months apart.

However, the form seems to assume that they should be precisely two years apart and won't let me enter that as the value. It's happy if I change it to 29th May 2028, however this obviously isn't correct. If I enter that value to progress the application, is that going to be seen as a trivial discrepancy or am I going to be denied entry. I assume the latter, but welcome any advice.

Thanks!

View attachment 146139

Are you sure you are on the actual US federal website and not a 3rd party agent who want to handle the application (badly)..

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Thanks!

View attachment 146139

Has happened before apparently https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/e0be62/having_trouble_with_an_esta_application_with_my/

….but as above, are you on the official site ? My passport has over 10 years validity and I’ve had no ESTA issues.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The form asks me for my passport issue and expiry date, the correct answers to which are 29th May 2018 and 29th July 2028 - ten years and two months apart.

Just as an aside, it is worth noting that some countries don't accept that it is possible for a passport to last more than ten years whatever the document says and take the expiry as ten years from date of issue. Add to that the need to have three months remaining on your passport beyond the date that you are due to return to the UK, then your ability to travel to quite a lot of places will run out in mid-February rather than the end of July.

(I have only just found this out and so am off to get a fast track passport for a trip to Germany - more cash for HMG, another Brexit bonus! :D)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just as an aside, it is worth noting that some countries don't accept that it is possible for a passport to last more than ten years whatever the document says and take the expiry as ten years from date of issue. Add to that the need to have three months remaining on your passport beyond the date that you are due to return to the UK, then your ability to travel to quite a lot of places will run out in mid-February rather than the end of July.

(I have only just found this out and so am off to get a fast track passport for a trip to Germany - more cash for HMG, another Brexit bonus! :D)

There’s a handful of new passport “extras” people need to now be aware of when flying into the EU; I’ve seen a few people have issues trying to board flights .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I almost made a major fúck up on our last proper family holiday to Mexico in 2019. Boredom saved me.

To get into the country, you need to complete an immigration form, which you can complete on arrival, as well as online. Due to said boredom, I thought I’d have a go at filling it out online about a week before we were due to fly. Except it wouldn’t let me, as my son needed 6 months on his passport, which he didn’t. That triggered one of the biggest “fúck, fúck, fúck!” moments of my life.

I frantically start Googling “how long to get a new passport”. Short answer - too long. The only way, literally the only way to save the day at this point was to book an emergency passport appointment. And, God’s honest truth, there was literally one left which would have guaranteed the passport would arrive in time. The day after tomorrow. At 9am. In Glasgow. Which was particularly handy, since I was working in London the next day.

So, following day I got on the train from Kings Cross to Leeds at about 2pm (having got on the early 7am train from Leeds, earlier that morning), picked up the wife and kids, and promptly drove the 6 hours up to Glasgow via my mother in law’s house to drop off our young daughter for the night. Arrived in Glasgow approaching midnight, quickly shoved the wife and son in their hotel room whilst parked on double yellows outside, then parked in an NCP what felt about 2 miles away.

Glasgow gets a bad rap actually - it’s a nice city, at least it is in the centre. But Glasgow, late on a Thursday night, full of píssed up Glaswegians, when you’re a lone, sober Englishman is edgier than I’d have liked under the circumstances.

Fortunately, there was a ‘spoons bang next door and despite the fact that by this point I was hallucinating with tiredness, I NEEDED a drink!! I managed to get two pints of Punk IPA and three bottles of Lagunitas down me in that time. Man, I was thirsty.

Walked to the appointment in the morning. All done in 5 minutes, then got some breakfast and promptly drove back the six hours to Leeds via MIL’s North Yorkshire.

The moral of this story? Don’t be a disorganised c**t like me when it comes to travel.

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Can anyone help with the vaccine requirement for us entry to the US?

Currently had my 2 jabs but not the booster, it isn't very clear on if this is allowed or I need to have a booster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here