Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Championship

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
What's peoples thought on the prospect of Championship football next season?

We are definitely far from safe and would be ultimate BHA to drop from outside europe hopefuls to relegation fodder.

Had some of our most enjoyable seasons and certainly home and away experiences in the Championship. Reduced amount of plastic non-fans in the amex home end. Sat & Tues fixtures in rapid fire succession. Anyone can and does beat anyone!

But how many years would it take to go back up (if ever)? No more MotD coverage and no more one sublime season that could land you in a euro place!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Definitely far from safe ??"

We are in a shit run of form, but we are currently 150/1 to go down with the bookies. 3 (THREE) of those junk teams at the bottom would basically have to mount Champions League form, without us picking up another point to overhaul us. And they'll be taking points off each other. If you're still THAT convinced, then stick a fiver on us to go down, and get your next years ST paid for, plus plenty of beer tokens in with the bargain.

I mean christ.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What's peoples thought on the prospect of Championship football next season?

We are definitely far from safe and would be ultimate BHA to drop from outside europe hopefuls to relegation fodder.

Had some of our most enjoyable seasons and certainly home and away experiences in the Championship. Reduced amount of plastic non-fans in the amex home end. Sat & Tues fixtures in rapid fire succession. Anyone can and does beat anyone!

But how many years would it take to go back up (if ever)? No more MotD coverage and no more one sublime season that could land you in a euro place!

If our fans can't get excited about watching us playing against the top 19 teams in the country at present, with some off the worlds best players on show, why would they be when we end up playing against the likes of Reading, Barnsley, Hull or Stoke? (on a wet Tuesday night optional)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m sure TB would love to pay the £25m short fall a season to give us a team that can properly compete in the championship. Why don’t you ask him if he would find it fun?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Definitely far from safe ??"

We are in a shit run of form, but we are currently 150/1 to go down with the bookies. 3 (THREE) of those junk teams at the bottom would basically have to mount Champions League form, without us picking up another point to overhaul us. And they'll be taking points off each other. If you're still THAT convinced, then stick a fiver on us to go down, and get your next years ST paid for, plus plenty of beer tokens in with the bargain.

I mean christ.

The most comforting thing is that we can only give three points in total to the current relegation strugglers before the end of the season, unless you think Leeds are in danger so they’ll have to find their points to catch us elsewhere regardless if we carry on being shit :smile:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If our fans can't get excited about watching us playing against the top 19 teams in the country at present, with some off the worlds best players on show, why would they be when we end up playing against the likes of Reading, Barnsley, Hull or Stoke? (on a wet Tuesday night optional)

The excitement kind of wears thin when on your own pitch you seldom win any of the games against the top 19 teams in the country, and hardly ever even score...

Not sure what you're expecting the Amex to be like after such a prolonged spell of terrible home form (coupled with the worst year yet in terms of transport issues getting there) - doesn't matter that we're in the PL!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

The prospect of a goal more frequently than 1 every few months and some actual entertainment is pretty persuasive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is there a word for the opposite of ambition ?

I feel it should be de-ambition and I have none of it to return to the Championship.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some fans always wish for failure

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I’d rather watch competitive football where everyone can compete, top sides backed by heads of state with infinite resources are far too powerful now.

Every team outside the top is begging for a decent striker, Liverpool have stockpiled five, with their sixth choice likely to join Milan on a free in the summer. You look at the benches of City, Chelsea & Liverpool and it’s tilted far too much in their favour.

Realistically teams like us Southampton & Palace will be in our own mini league and competing for the heady heights of 12th but might get sucked into a relegation fight in the odd year.

Ultimately though the gap between Premier League & The Championship is widening and we should finish above every promoted side, now we’re established.

Our 33 points now must give us a 50% chance of safety based on today’s league table.

Having no VAR in the championship makes it appealing too.

I don’t want Brighton to go down, it’s not all about me and the club deserves top flight football. From a personal point of view though the Championship is a better league in terms of being competitive and would be far more enjoyable.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Did anyone enjoy the Hypia Championship season? We remember enjoyment from the last two seasons before promotion a middling championship season is long and boring if your team isn’t fighting for anything.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
JESUS......the negativity shown by some lately beggars belief. You really want Championship football? This is called being a Brighton supporter. By all means change your religion and go somewhere else if you want success. I posted elsewhere that we are in for the long haul. It's always going to be work in progress. Take the highs, which many of us did when we sitting pretty in 7th and dreaming of Europe and now take the lows. If you consider this being a low point then you were not around when the Goldstone was all but gone and our league status was also all but gone!

Get a life!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
JESUS......the negativity shown by some lately beggars belief. You really want Championship football? This is called being a Brighton supporter. By all means change your religion and go somewhere else if you want success. I posted elsewhere that we are in for the long haul. It's always going to be work in progress. Take the highs, which many of us did when we sitting pretty in 7th and dreaming of Europe and now take the lows. If you consider this being a low point then you were not around when the Goldstone was all but gone and our league status was also all but gone!

Get a life!

No-one in this thread has said they "want" Championship football :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't fear relegation, but it would undo a lot of the good work tb has done.

I agree with those saying that it's wildly unlikely this year, but we'll be going into next year, I think, with a very different and young squad, so who knows

To me, we should now be giving game time to players of the future Caicedo, Sarmiento etc and less to players of the past, (don't think I need to name them)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Would probably enjoy it more..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Being in the PL pits Brighton on the map globally so it's daft to want to play in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here