Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football Tactics Podcast - The Athletic

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I listen to this show every week with Mark Carey who is a data analyst and Michael Cox who writes about tactics all the time and I love it. It's very stat heavy and goes into a lot of detail about tactics so is great for a football nerd like me.

Anyway, this week they've done an hour's episode on Graham Potter and how we play. It does cover and confirm a lot of things we know already watching them every week but I would strongly recommend it as it is very interesting getting such a detailed analysis from neutrals who actually know what they're talking about - not the usual clueless MOTD/Sky cliches - and it does turn up some stats that are surprising.

Like I say, it's very stat heavy and nerdy so appreciate it won't be for everyone but definitely worth a listen for those who are interested.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I listen to this show every week with Mark Carey who is a data analyst and Michael Cox who writes about tactics all the time and I love it. It's very stat heavy and goes into a lot of detail about tactics so is great for a football nerd like me.

Anyway, this week they've done an hour's episode on Graham Potter and how we play. It does cover and confirm a lot of things we know already watching them every week but I would strongly recommend it as it is very interesting getting such a detailed analysis from neutrals who actually know what they're talking about - not the usual clueless MOTD/Sky cliches - and it does turn up some stats that are surprising.

Like I say, it's very stat heavy and nerdy so appreciate it won't be for everyone but definitely worth a listen for those who are interested.

Does it specifically address Potter's TERRIBLE home record at the Albion?

If not, I won't take it seriously. The (in)effectiveness of his tactics are plain to see at the mo.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've enjoyed football for all sorts of reasons since I was in shorts in 1978

stats wasn't one.

curlers into the top corner, finger tip saves, pile drivers from 35 yards, hairs on the back of your neck standing up walking down Goldstone Lane on the other hand . . .

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've enjoyed football for all sorts of reasons since I was in shorts in 1978

stats wasn't one.

curlers into the top corner, finger tip saves, pile drivers from 35 yards, hairs on the back of your neck standing up walking down Goldstone Lane on the other hand . . .

The two things are not mutually exclusive and, although the latter gets the pulse racing, the former, as mastered by Mr Bloom, has pretty much bought our stadium and our squad.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The two things are not mutually exclusive and, although the latter gets the pulse racing, the former, as mastered by Mr Bloom, has pretty much bought our stadium and our squad.

Which merely confirms, modern BHA is not best for me.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Really interesting and whatever you think about stats it’s spot on. Great up to the final third. Slow build up. Miss Webster currently. Miss White’s transition. March one of our highest chance creators and still relying on Gross. Lots of players who not sure if they’re central midfielders or wing backs. They liked Cucu at LCB because of his ability to bring the ball out.
One of the most high intensity press teams (which seems to have dropped off lately). More defensive than people realise. Sanchez disappointing this season.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Which merely confirms, modern BHA is not best for me.

I'd guess that its certainly been a while since any of us felt the hairs on the back of our neck standing up whilst walking to the game. My best moment of the last few seasons was the overwhelming and disproportionate emotion I felt at the ground singing 'Cheerio, Cheerio' to Joao Cancelo when he got sent off in the City game at the end of last season. That small single moment reminded me why live football is so different from watching it on the TV. There hasn't been much of that kind of spontaneous, communal outburst for quite a while now. I share your nostalgia, but as usual whenever I feel nostalgic, I wonder whether I'm missing the past, or just being the person I was in the past.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Really interesting and whatever you think about stats it’s spot on. Great up to the final third. Slow build up. Miss Webster currently. Miss White’s transition. March one of our highest chance creators and still relying on Gross. Lots of players who not sure if they’re central midfielders or wing backs. They liked Cucu at LCB because of his ability to bring the ball out.
One of the most high intensity press teams (which seems to have dropped off lately). More defensive than people realise. Sanchez disappointing this season.

The other thing that stood out to me was Cox's comments about the ability and experience of the individual players. As dull as predictable as it has been lately, I strongly believe that overall Potter is actually over-achieving and that we are greater than the sum of our parts due to his coaching and tactical ability. I think individually, our players are naturally and affectionately over rated by the fans. If we're going to progress to become a consistent top 10 side, then we really need to back him and bring in better and more experienced players (I do also appreciate that is very expensive and it is not my money).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The other thing that stood out to me was Cox's comments about the ability and experience of the individual players. As dull as predictable as it has been lately, I strongly believe that overall Potter is actually over-achieving and that we are greater than the sum of our parts due to his coaching and tactical ability. I think individually, our players are naturally and affectionately over rated by the fans. If we're going to progress to become a consistent top 10 side, then we really need to back him and bring in better and more experienced players (I do also appreciate that is very expensive and it is not my money).

Yeah I think overall there was definitely a hint of Potter being excellent at what he does but probably not having the right players. I suppose the thing you’d say to counter that is- if we haven’t got the players to play that way maybe he should try something different.
They were definitely impressed with him, though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

For a second there I thought you were talking about two of my former teachers.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

This has been my thoughts for a long time. We've bought players with potential (which is a bit 50/50) and the coaching staff have brought out the best in them and they have over performed. If Bloom wants a regular top 10 finish then he must buy players that will guarantee it and perform well consistently, not for half a season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd guess that its certainly been a while since any of us felt the hairs on the back of our neck standing up whilst walking to the game. My best moment of the last few seasons was the overwhelming and disproportionate emotion I felt at the ground singing 'Cheerio, Cheerio' to Joao Cancelo when he got sent off in the City game at the end of last season. That small single moment reminded me why live football is so different from watching it on the TV. There hasn't been much of that kind of spontaneous, communal outburst for quite a while now. I share your nostalgia, but as usual whenever I feel nostalgic, I wonder whether I'm missing the past, or just being the person I was in the past.

There is an element of that, but the over riding thing is wanting some excitement and entertainment. Raegardless, at the moment there's a mismatch between players, manager and possibly even board? SOmethings not right.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

Thank you for highlighting this- I am listening now- a really good detailed episode. Best Albion coverage I have heard for some time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here