Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Train chaos

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Cancellations, chaos, punch up at Brighton Station. Thanks Southern fail.

Last edited:

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Southern Rail are crap. A few games ago, for the first time ever they challenged us about travelling more than 3 hours before the game. I didn't pay for an extra ticket, my son did.
The conductor person argued that people shouldn't be using the train to go into Brighton to do something else before the game. Bloke next to me lied and said they were going to the ground straight away, I said I was going into town for a couple of pints.

Pointed out their general unreliability and that the trains get so rammed it probably does everyone a favour if people travel early and spread things out. Tonight highlighted this well, a right pain in the arse.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Southern Rail are crap. A few games ago, for the first time ever they challenged us about travelling more than 3 hours before the game. I didn't pay for an extra ticket, my son did.
The conductor person argued that people shouldn't be using the train to go into Brighton to do something else before the game. Bloke next to me lied and said they were going to the ground straight away, I said I was going into town for a couple of pints.

Pointed out their general unreliability and that the trains get so rammed it probably does everyone a favour if people travel early and spread things out. Tonight highlighted this well, a right pain in the arse.
And on my way to the Amex I get the announcement due to the train running so late I can claim a 25% refund, no I can't. That really p1ssed me off. Its ridiculous how few trains there are post match looking at the train times i could not see the usual extra trains had been put on. Perhaps someone at the club can take this up with Southern Fail?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The trains make it such a ball ache, no wonder people leave early. After waiting for about half an hour with a load of aggressive Chelsea fans (whilst they kicked off and spat in an Albion fan’s face when there were no police near by) in the queue for the train the other month, I leave early. If you leave just 3 minutes before the end, you can shave at least 25 minutes off your waiting time, which is absolutely massive if you’ve just seen your team lose to a team with a bunch of scum fans. Didn’t have to put up with any dickhead Tottenham fans tonight, I can imagine a lot of our fans did though while they were waiting ages for a train. I’ve been there and I can’t be bothered with it anymore, especially since we’ve been losing most games at home.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Lewes was an absolute shambles this evening. I joined the queue snaking around the station at 6:25pm and only just made it in time for kick off. There were hundreds behind me who didn’t stand a chance of getting there in time.

I’m taking a long break from trains while Covid blows out after using them consistently since 2011 and can’t say threads like this ever will tempt me back

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I arrived at Brighton station this evening at around 17.45, and joined a not very large queue ("excellent", I thought). I was adjacent to those toilets at the coffee shop, so quite near those doors before you get onto the platform. And then we waited, and waited...

It took until 18.20 till I was on a train. And then, the train didn't leave the station till 18.40. So I spent nearly an hour from entering the station, to departing it. Christ knows what the queues were like behind me. I'm sure there's a very good reason for this clusterf*ck of a "service", but whats the point. Its just par for the course.

By FAR the highlight of my day was having a little read in the pub before mincing up to BTN station. Left home at 4.15, got home at 10.15. Everything from 6pm onwards was basically SHIT

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Do the club have some sort of agreement with the railway about putting on extra trains? I don't think there were ANY extra trains tonight, that plus loads of away fans travelling London bound and many more having to go via Brighton northbound did not help.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lewes was an absolute shambles this evening. I joined the queue snaking around the station at 6:25pm and only just made it in time for kick off. There were hundreds behind me who didn’t stand a chance of getting there in time.

I left Eastbourne at 6:06 and like you was left waiting due to the fact that the joke of a train company sent a 4 coach train for the connection at Lewes. I waited until the 7:05 got in and like you just about sat in my seat in time for the game. I planned getting there early enough to have a pint and meet my son. All gone by the wayside due to their shambles. When our train left Lewes for Falmer, it appeared there were still many hundreds of queuing fans stretching from (platform 3?) and who definitely would have missed kick-off.

I texted my mate in the north who got the train after mine at Eastbourne 45 minutes later or something, that was the 6:40, and that was exactly the train we caught in Lewes. What is the point of planning ahead and trying to relieve pressure on the train by not travelling last minute, if they don't run a service that's fit for purpose. I don't think I'll ever use the train again, it is absolutely shockingly bad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I arrived at Brighton station this evening at around 17.45, and joined a not very large queue ("excellent", I thought). I was adjacent to those toilets at the coffee shop, so quite near those doors before you get onto the platform. And then we waited, and waited...

It took until 18.20 till I was on a train. And then, the train didn't leave the station till 18.40. So I spent nearly an hour from entering the station, to departing it. Christ knows what the queues were like behind me. I'm sure there's a very good reason for this clusterf*ck of a "service", but whats the point. Its just par for the course.

By FAR the highlight of my day was having a little read in the pub before mincing up to BTN station. Left home at 4.15, got home at 10.15. Everything from 6pm onwards was basically SHIT

Yup.

Left home at 5.30. The 5.42 from Portslade was already late and almost full as SASTA insisted on sticking to their current one train every 30 mins "timetable" on Coastway West and only provided a three car chugger. Just about squeezed on but took absolutely ages to disembark at Brighton as the wallies had allowed the commuters to fill platforms 1 and 2 to wait for our service and there was a dangerous crush to get on and off that needed a copper to sort out. Finally joined the same queue as you at just gone 6pm and I suspect we were on the same service. Waited for ages to be let on to the platform, waited for ages to be allowed to board the train, waited for ages for that train to leave, Finally in the concourse at about 7. At least there wasn't a queue for a beer as every other bugger was still stuck coming over.

7pm was the highlight of my evening. Finally a beer in my hand and a chat with my friends. From 7.30 onwards everything went south again. Having told a friend about the train over, he'd parked at Mill Rd and offered us a lift back. The queue for the P&R buses was absolutely ginormous and barely moved. Home after 10.30 to find Mrs GB was unwell and I had the happy task of taking the dog round the corner for an empty before finally settling down with a nightcap to have a moan on here.

All in all probably the worst "matchday experience" for a very long time with the exception of the beer queue, but God knows how much beer and pie revenue SASTA did us out of.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Do the club have some sort of agreement with the railway about putting on extra trains? I don't think there were ANY extra trains tonight, that plus loads of away fans travelling London bound and many more having to go via Brighton northbound did not help.

There have never been extra trains mid-week since the Amex opened

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yup.

Left home at 5.30. The 5.42 from Portslade was already late and almost full as SASTA insisted on sticking to their current one train every 30 mins "timetable" on Coastway West and only provided a three car chugger. Just about squeezed on but took absolutely ages to disembark at Brighton as the wallies had allowed the commuters to fill platforms 1 and 2 to wait for our service and there was a dangerous crush to get on and off that needed a copper to sort out. Finally joined the same queue as you at just gone 6pm and I suspect we were on the same service. Waited for ages to be let on to the platform, waited for ages to be allowed to board the train, waited for ages for that train to leave, Finally in the concourse at about 7. At least there wasn't a queue for a beer as every other bugger was still stuck coming over.

7pm was the highlight of my evening. Finally a beer in my hand and a chat with my friends. From 7.30 onwards everything went south again. Having told a friend about the train over, he'd parked at Mill Rd and offered us a lift back. The queue for the P&R buses was absolutely ginormous and barely moved. Home after 10.30 to find Mrs GB was unwell and I had the happy task of taking the dog round the corner for an empty before finally settling down with a nightcap to have a moan on here.

All in all probably the worst "matchday experience" for a very long time with the exception of the beer queue, but God knows how much beer and pie revenue SASTA did us out of.

We need one of those survey thingys. That’d sort it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A great round of applause to those, post-match, jumping in and shoving two or three wheelchairs out of the way whilst trying to load at Falmer.

Bravo chaps, bravo.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Midweek has always been worse on the trains, frequency is poor and when they do arrive they are often 3 carriages. The queuing at Lewes pre match was as bad as its ever been since we were at the Amex and not much better afterwards. Some things to help have been discussed in detail on here previously but not much seems to get done. Tonight the amount of people who went down the disable ramp seemed to be huge, some of the biggest families I've ever seen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I heard there were trespassers on the line on the Lewes side somewhere (Polegate ?). If so, not a lot Southern can do

They always trot this excuse out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here