Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What's good to watch on HBO?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Tokyo Vice is coming soon to HBO Max.

Based on Jake Adelstein’s non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat, it stars Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe. Set in the late 1990s, American journalist Jake Adelstein relocates to Tokyo to join the staff of a major Japanese newspaper as their first foreign-born reporter. Taken under the wing of a veteran detective in the vice squad, he starts to explore the dark and dangerous world of the Japanese yakuza.

Looks promising.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fred Closed

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Based on Jake Adelstein’s non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat, it stars Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe. Set in the late 1990s, American journalist Jake Adelstein relocates to Tokyo to join the staff of a major Japanese newspaper as their first foreign-born reporter. Taken under the wing of a veteran detective in the vice squad, he starts to explore the dark and dangerous world of the Japanese yakuza.

Looks promising.

Well, 3 episodes in and I think it's pretty strong stuff. Do like a bit of Michael Mann.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/apr/05/tokyo-vice-review-michael-mann-returns-to-tv-with-taut-thriller

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Looks promising.

Starts on the Beeb tonight.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just finished watching Tokyo vice on Iplayer. Really enjoyed this....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Coming soon, fancy a bit of Nordic Noir, US style? because that’s what the forthcoming fourth series of True Detective – subtitled Night Country – looks like judging by the first full-length trailer released today.

Set in Ennis, Alaska, it tells the story of eight men who operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station and vanish without a trace. To solve the case, Detectives Liz Danvers (Jodie Foster) and Evangeline Navarro (Kali Reis) have to confront “the darkness they carry in themselves and dig into the haunted truths that lie buried under the eternal ice”. That and try to get along with one another.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Coming soon, fancy a bit of Nordic Noir, US style? because that’s what the forthcoming fourth series of True Detective – subtitled Night Country – looks like judging by the first full-length trailer released today.

Set in Ennis, Alaska, it tells the story of eight men who operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station and vanish without a trace. To solve the case, Detectives Liz Danvers (Jodie Foster) and Evangeline Navarro (Kali Reis) have to confront “the darkness they carry in themselves and dig into the haunted truths that lie buried under the eternal ice”. That and try to get along with one another.

I'll probably give this a go but from the trailers I've seen it looks a bit too dark and dreary for my taste. I do have a Succession shaped hole to fill. though.

Jodie Foster playing the same character she seems to play in everything these days.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'll probably give this a go but from the trailers I've seen it looks a bit too dark and dreary for my taste. I do have a Succession shaped hole to fill. though.

Jodie Foster playing the same character she seems to play in everything these days.
The Succession shaped hole is a common problem for many I fear. I’m considering Righteous Gemstones to fill it - or possibly White Lotus or just rewatch The Wire or even just rewatch Succession.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Succession shaped hole is a common problem for many I fear. I’m considering Righteous Gemstones to fill it - or possibly White Lotus or just rewatch The Wire or even just rewatch Succession.
I would recommend White Lotus. I've really enjoyed both seasons of that, there are some great characters. It's good that it's a self-contained story too, rather than having things to carry over to the next season (apart from one character).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Late to the party but halfway through Season 2 of Succession and loving it. Language is a bit much for Mrs Mellotron at times.

The reason I started - I heard it was just 4 seasons and done. That attracted me.

When people say "Oh you'll love this show, first 3-4 seasons are slow but then it really gets going" and you look on IMDB and find out it's 10 seasons, 24 episodes per season. Nah.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here