Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Spurs (H) 16/03/2022

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Had a look and couldn't see that a thread had been started on this yet. As usual its next to impossible to predict what Mr Potter will do, although we do know that Webster is still out and Lallana is unavailable for the foreseeable. I hope we wont try to match up with Spurs 3 at the back as Cucurella looks ineffective at LCB. I'd like to see Moder return to the side, along with Trossard being dropped after a run of bad form.

----------------Sanchez---------------

Lamptey-- Veltman-- Dunk-- Cucurella

-----Moder-- Bissouma--- Gross

MacAllister----------------March

--------------Maupay-----------------

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Steele
Veltman Duffy Dunk
Lamptey Bissouma Alzate Cucurella
Mac Allister Maupay Trossard

I think Bobby needs a break, he's been sloppy lately and I'd be tempted to take him out the firing line for a game or two to catch his breath and settle back down. No place in my selection for March, whose return to the team has coincided with our downturn in form (no surprise). Plenty of legs across the central 4 and hopefully a chance for Mac to really influence the game in the final third, which he hasn't done enough of in the last few games when he's had the chance to play. Maupay needs to get early shots off like he did early against Liverpool, that's where he's dangerous and adds an edge to our team.

In summary, attack.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Steele
Veltman Duffy Dunk

I think Bobby needs a break, he's been sloppy lately and I'd be tempted to take him out the firing line for a game or two to catch his breath and settle back down. No place in my selection for March, whose return to the team has coincided with our downturn in form (no surprise). Plenty of legs across the central 4 and hopefully a chance for Mac to really influence the game in the final third, which he hasn't done enough of in the last few games when he's had the chance to play. Maupay needs to get early shots off like he did early against Liverpool, that's where he's dangerous and adds an edge to our team.

In summary, attack.

Not sure I agree dropping Sanchez is the best option, although I understand the thinking. I think he could really do with us bringing in an experienced keeper in the summer to train alongside. Someone in the Ben Foster/Tom Heaton mould who has been around and can impart some wisdom. Training with the likes of Steele/McGill cant exactly be pushing him to be the best he can be, can it?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Steele
Veltman Duffy Dunk

In summary, attack.

That looks a very good selection. Surely we can't carry on persisting with a back 4. This means Duffy is recalled. He won't let us down.

The only change I would make to yours is Trossard. He's not done enough to warrant selection. Moder, Mwepu and March all deserve selection more. I'd put Solly in the front 3.

I also agree it's time to pick Steele. Not freezing big Bob out permanently. But can't ignore the fact that we're conceding from a very high percentage of shots on target at the moment.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Had a look and couldn't see that a thread had been started on this yet. As usual its next to impossible to predict what Mr Potter will do, although we do know that Webster is still out and Lallana is unavailable for the foreseeable. I hope we wont try to match up with Spurs 3 at the back as Cucurella looks ineffective at LCB. I'd like to see Moder return to the side, along with Trossard being dropped after a run of bad form.

----------------Sanchez---------------

Lamptey-- Veltman-- Dunk-- Cucurella

-----Moder-- Bissouma--- Gross

MacAllister----------------March

--------------Maupay-----------------

Spot on for me. Definitely agree with dropping Trossard. Argument for Alzate over Gross, but probably works better off the bench for this game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does it matter? :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No place in my selection for March, whose return to the team has coincided with our downturn in form (no surprise). .

Unadulterated, prejudiced bullshit.

Putting aside that March was Albion MotM on Saturday, and just about the only player that didn't embarrass himself in the Villa and Burnley games - when are you choosing to start the 'downturn in form'? Which was the run of games BEFORE the form dipped?

the creditable 1-1 draw at Leicester? (in which March came on at 0-1, and we equalised five minutes later)

The excellent 1-1 home draw with Chelsea? (that March played his part in)

The home draw with Palace? (in which March came on at 0-1, and we equalised shortly after)

The West Brom Cup win? (that March played all 120 minutes of)

The magnificent performance at Stamford Bridge? (That March was brilliant in)

Please do help me out here.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Putting aside that March was Albion MotM on Saturday, and just about the only player that didn't embarrass himself in the Villa and Burnley games - when are you choosing to start the 'downturn in form'? Which was the run of games BEFORE the form dipped?

the creditable 1-1 draw at Leicester? (in which March came on at 0-1, and we equalised five minutes later)

The home draw with Palace? (in which March came on at 0-1, and we equalised shortly after)

Apart from being 'one of own'
Solly March has always been an easy target and outlet for the moaners on here, a sort of bullying if you like.
He like any other player has his off days.
For me personally SM is and has always been a game changer option, whether a provider or scorer.
One criticism would be for him to attack and cross more on the left, he's gifted with a decent left peg, which he can use.
Give him more game time to show off his worth.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Totally spot on. I don't think he has under performed once yet. There seems to be a thing with our home grown players where some fans get on their backs when they are learning and then even when proven wrong, as Solly has done, they can't let it go. He has been superb for us this season and under played in my view. Much more consistent than Trossard. Trossard's highs may be higher than Solly's, I'll accept that, but he is too frequently much lower. I'd have Solly start every game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchcez
Veltman - Dunk - Duffy
Lamptey.................................... Cucurella
Moder - Biss - Alzate
Mac Allister
Maupay​

........ or, if we must do four at the back -

Sanchez
Veltman - Dunk - Duffy - Cucurella
Lamptey - Moder - Biss - Solly
Mac Allister
Maupay​

This should ensure BP picks nothing like either of these options!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does it matter? :lol:

What, you reckon we're going to look really good for 10-15mins, concede a sloppy goal 15-20mins, start to look good again but fail to to hit the target, then concede a second half way through the second half killing any hope of a comeback? You can't make this stuff up you know.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I hope we go back to 3 at the back. Lamptey is not a defensive right back, he's a wing back. Veltman looks much more comfortable at RCB in a 3. I would be happy to see Roberts at LCB to give us better balance.

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk Roberts
Lamptey Gross Bissouma Alzate Cucurella
Moder
Maupay

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

The only game we won was at West Brom, an average Championship side this season who I think were down to 10 men but took us to extra time anyway (recollection might not be correct there). Did March play any role in either goal? I honestly don't recall.

Otherwise, I don't really think you're challenging my point which is that we don't win when he plays. It's the argument in favour of playing Lallana, that we have a good record with him in the team. But that can't be said of March, who for me just isn't up to it. I'm not getting into an argument about it, it's all been said before and nobody is changing their opinion - but I haven't been surprised we've stopped winning games recently when he's been more heavily involved. It's very difficult to carry a player who just isn't up to the standard at this level.

No doubt he'll continue to get opportunities to perform and no doubt there will be moments which make this post bounceable, and good luck to him all the time he wears the shirt. I do agree he never lets us down, I'm not accusing him or any of the others of throwing in the towel and not trying. But that's not to say he's performing well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Well, just to put a different view on things, and I say this as one of Solly's greatest advocates since he's come through with us under Oscar. Last season was his best season in the PL by a long way for me. He benefited from playing regularly, and also playing in the same role, a role that seemed to be tailor-made for his skill set. He hasn't featured in that role much this season and this is largely down to the purchase of Cucurella, which has been one of our best signings (oh, if we can get three of his quality in the next window). It's also because we've played a back four more often this season than last.
But I think Solly's been poor this season, and is far less effective playing further up the pitch in my view. To buttress this claim, we could perhaps point towards the number of goals and assists he's returned this season, but that's far from the only thing that could be pointed to.
Despite that, I'd like to see him start tomorrow, and in the position he excelled at last season and, if I were GP (and I'm not) I'd go for:

------------------ Sanchez --------------------
--- Veltman ---- Dunk ---- Cucurella -----
Lamptey -- Alzate -- Bissouma -- March
---------- Moder ---------- Mac Allister -----
--------------- Maupay -------------------------

With Welbeck to come on at some stage, to augment the attacking thread.
Another player I regularly praise is Trossard who, for me, was our PotS in 2021, but has been poor this calendar year.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Not sure I agree dropping Sanchez is the best option, although I understand the thinking. I think he could really do with us bringing in an experienced keeper in the summer to train alongside. Someone in the Ben Foster/Tom Heaton mould who has been around and can impart some wisdom. Training with the likes of Steele/McGill cant exactly be pushing him to be the best he can be, can it?

I agree - I thought it was very strange that we didn't sign an experienced goalkeeper in the summer, or winter windows. Steele is clearly the man in favour to be second choice and for whatever reason, we chose not to challenge Sanchez. I think Bobby's top class, a really good goalkeeper - but it seems to me that taking him out of the team for a few games wouldn't do anyone any harm.

That looks a very good selection. Surely we can't carry on persisting with a back 4. This means Duffy is recalled. He won't let us down.

The only change I would make to yours is Trossard. He's not done enough to warrant selection. Moder, Mwepu and March all deserve selection more. I'd put Solly in the front 3.

I also agree it's time to pick Steele. Not freezing big Bob out permanently. But can't ignore the fact that we're conceding from a very high percentage of shots on target at the moment.

Moder I'd make an argument for, but I don't like the lack of width when he and Mac Allister are both in the side, they both play in the same areas of the pitch and it rarely works out for us. I think Trossard has the quality to unlock a defence, I've given up on March now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Otherwise, I don't really think you're challenging my point which is that we don't win when he plays. It's the argument in favour of playing Lallana, that we have a good record with him in the team.

I disagree on his recent performance levels. He's actually been very good in recent games - he just isn't the particularly player that you presumably want him to be.

And in terms of your 'not winning when he plays' claim - the examples I listed include multiple games where we did WIN the part of the game after his introduction.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Totally spot on. I don't think he has under performed once yet. There seems to be a thing with our home grown players where some fans get on their backs when they are learning and then even when proven wrong, as Solly has done, they can't let it go. He has been superb for us this season and under played in my view. Much more consistent than Trossard. Trossard's highs may be higher than Solly's, I'll accept that, but he is too frequently much lower. I'd have Solly start every game.

This! all day long.

I have always been one to defend Solly, from the ridiculous accusations that he is inconsistent.
He is probably one of our most consistent players, but as you rightly state he rarely has a superb performance (who does these days).
But he will hit more "7" and fewer "5" performances per season than Trossard will.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I disagree on his recent performance levels. He's actually been very good in recent games - he just isn't the particularly player that you presumably want him to be.

And in terms of your 'not winning when he plays' claim - the examples I listed include multiple games where we did WIN the part of the game after his introduction.

I think the biggest issue is that I want goals and assists and chances being created by attacking players. When he was being deployed as a wing back there was less expectation there so his lack of output wasn't so much of a problem - although it was for the team. Winning "part" of the game is fine, but for me it's clutching at straws to use late goals as an argument in his favour. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but personally I think it's desperate.

This! all day long.

I have always been one to defend Solly, from the ridiculous accusations that he is inconsistent.
He is probably one of our most consistent players, but as you rightly state he rarely has a superb performance (who does these days).
But he will hit more "7" and fewer "5" performances per season than Trossard will.

I wouldn't say he's inconsistent either. He is very consistent, just at a lower level of performance than I think we need if we're going to improve. Keep playing him and we'll continue to win very few games of football.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Not bothered as long as not 4 at the back and we look like we are interested

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here