Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Are you smarter than an 11 year old?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
10/12. though i guessed a couple. half of them are what school kids have learnt recently that we forget as pointless.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
. Screenshot_20220312-094526_Google.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
7/12. But was 8 when I was at school too.

If I hadn't got a teenager who I've helped with homework, would have been a lot less. :dunky:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
10/12. Would've been full marks but for a dodgy mouse. I can't believe the average eleven year old would know half of those questions. A fifteen year old would get them all right, as they know everything???

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
9/12 but one of the wrong answers was a complete guess

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I have just asked the other two people at home, and we all had the same way of dealing with the maths question. Start left to right, and we all got the same answer- which was wrong

We were all taught you work left to right on equations, unless anything is in brackets which you do first. That is 100% definitely the way we were all taught. One of us was taught in Germany, and we all have O level or equivalent maths results so we would not be wrong on this basic concept-as everying we did in maths, physics etc would be wrong

So, when did the convention change to doing multiplication and division first. It has to be a world wide thing or chaos would result

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I have just asked the other two people at home, and we all had the same way of dealing with the maths question. Start left to right, and we all got the same answer- which was wrong

We were all taught you work left to right on equations, unless anything is in brackets which you do first. That is 100% definitely the way we were all taught. One of us was taught in Germany, and we all have O level or equivalent maths results so we would not be wrong on this basic concept-as everying we did in maths, physics etc would be wrong

So, when did the convention change to doing multiplication and division first. It has to be a world wide thing or chaos would result

BODMAS is one of the few things I remember from school

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Well it was the convention when I was taught in the mid 1960s so they must have changed it before then ???

I haven't done the test as, at my age, I know my place :blush:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
7/12

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

BODMAS, Brackets, Order, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction, in that order. So going left to right is correct, but multiplication and division always go before addition and subtraction. BODMAS has been around since the 1800s

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A few years ago I went to a parents maths meeting at our kids primary school, where they gave us maths questions. We ended up having various ways of getting the correct answer.

The maths teacher guru explained that was as expected, that there is no single correct method, all are fine. Different minds have different routes.

The point was that kids are given a range of tools, any are correct.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

To avoid a spoiler I have made the text for the answer white - drag over the lines at the bottom to view.

20 - 5 × 4 ÷ 2 + 12 =

The correct sequence is:

Drag from here:

5 x 4 = 20 / 2 = 10

20 - 10 = 10 + 12 = 22

to here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports