Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 closure 19th "abnormal load"

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
"On Saturday 19 March two pieces of large equipment will be taken 41 miles from Shoreham Docks to Ninfield Substation, which will pass through your area. This is essential equipment to allow the National Grid to provide energy to homes and businesses.

Each load is over 300 tonnes in weight and over 70 metres in length. Due to the complexity of moving equipment of this size this will cause significant disruption to traffic along the route and will have an impact in your area.

The A27 will be closed between Ashcombe and Southerham roundabouts with traffic diverted via A270, A259 , A26 and vice versa
"

https://www.eastsussexhighways.com/shoreham-ninfield-abnormal-load-19-march-2022

ROUTE-MAP.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 10.01.27.png

(Subject edited to correct the date, oops!)

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Er, tomorrow is 12th March, the link says 19th March.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll get my coat..

Don't feel too bad. My wife's just gone to a funeral and has just texted me. It was due to start at 11, but she didn't recognise any of the mourners who were turning up. She looked at the message on her phone telling her the date and time. Yup, 11 o'clock ..... on the 18th!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why does an abnormal load, going 40 miles down the A27 and beyond, need an all-day clousure on about 2 mile stretch?
are they just parking up for the day, cocking up the traffic when this could be done at night?

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
why does an abnormal load, going 40 miles down the A27 and beyond, need an all-day clousure on about 2 mile stretch?
are they just parking up for the day, cocking up the traffic when this could be done at night?

Apparently it's so heavy that it'll need its own temporary bridge to get it across the Ouse. Presumably this is also why it's got to come off the A27 to cross the A23. Sounds like fun - I think I might pop down and have a watch.

The information seems to have been edited, because earlier in the week it mentioned something about that section being closed whilst they constructed a temporary bridge to cross the Ouse.

No idea exactly what that entails or if that was an error on the first published version.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The route map seems to show that after leaving Shoreham Harbour the load goes west along the A259 and turns north to access the A293 then the A27. The map is not very detailed but it looks like the railway will be "underpassed" where Church Road meets Trafalgar Road in Portslade.
That would be an interesting view to see how much headroom there is as the load passes under the bridge. Another interest would be the junction hairpin bend by the Lagoon.

https://www.eastsussexhighways.com/...utm_term=da224bf9-aa07-460c-943f-a90837f9aed8

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here