Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Toby Collyer - move to Manure

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure if this is covered on any other thread but looks like he decided that manure were a better option well better contract does anyone have the background info on this.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes - one of the biggest sports brands in the world wanted to sign him and offered more money than us

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There will be a certain amount of compensation due as he has been with the club for a few years.

Yes, on the basis that he has been coached at Brighton from a fairly young age, and his obvious potential, we should get a
Gareth Barry type compensation amount. On the basis that few of these younger players will end up in our first team, the whole idea of the academy is to make money from it,

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Will be a pittance compensation wise and think he’s a safe bet to have a long and successful league football career. I’m not convinced from the little I’ve seen/heard that he has the upside of some of our other top prospects though. More a safe bet to nearly be good enough who’s chosen to go earn a fortune as 12th choice rather than fight to be 7th/8th choice here. Final result likely same either way though and will eventually go to a league club for very little so why not earn more in the meantime I guess and tell people he’s a United player. Hope not another Gareth Barry!

Saw he played lots last season then hardly featured recently. Wonder if that’s a result of his head being turned previously or he wasn’t good enough and thus more a cause. Good luck to him though and a shame didn’t want to be part of what we’re building.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So let me get this straight. Man Utd, home of arguably the most vaunted academy in the country who make a huge thing about promoting kids through their own youth system, now think one of ours is better than theirs?

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I read manure offered him better contract = more money, he will have better path to first team here but who knows how much more he is being offered

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
So let me get this straight. Man Utd, home of arguably the most vaunted academy in the country who make a huge thing about promoting kids through their own youth system, now think one of ours is better than theirs?

Every club will produce the occasional good player - no one academy is going to produce ALL the good players. Suggesting that our academy is better than theirs because they're signing a player out of our academy is a very basic opinion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Suggesting that our academy is better than theirs because they're signing a player out of our academy is a very basic opinion.

Probably just as well I didn't say that then, eh?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Every club will produce the occasional good player - no one academy is going to produce ALL the good players. Suggesting that our academy is better than theirs because they're signing a player out of our academy is a very basic opinion.

Probably just as well I didn't say that then, eh?

What on earth was your point, then?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What on earth was your point, then?

That it's a feather in the cap of the academy that one of the players they've produced has attracted the attention of the club which has the most prestigious academy and with a reputation for attracting players from all over the country (and likely globe, I can't say I keep up) and they've snapped them up after the work we've done with him.

I'm clearly not saying "our academy is better than their academy", hence why I used the phrase "one of". Which usually refers to one rather than, for example, all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here