Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goal nets

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I know this pops up on here fairly regularly but I bloody love it!

One of those early Premier League goals show's was on Sky the other day and I told the wife that I'd be able to exactly describe each clubs goal nets before seeing them..

"No way.", she answered foolishly.

First up Aston Villa

"White triangle stantions, white nets - pulled back quite tight... and the net will be white with big squares, not like Highbury's little white squares."

I was right of course. She was equally amazed and saddened.

Pics like the attached still give me a goal net flutter. A time before football was all the same.

Attachments

• TheDell.PNG
    TheDell.PNG
    497.4 KB · Views: 327
  • dddd.jpg
    dddd.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 328

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can remember the shape of the goals at Loftus Road and Upton Park back in the 1970's and 80's. Primarily because they weren't very deep, presumably that was down to their being so little room between the goal line and the terracing behind.

As for the actual goal nets though . . . absolutely no idea at all.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
As a kid I used to love going down to Hove Park and seeing that they’d put the posts and orange nets up for the weekend games, and having a kickabout or playing Wembley or similar. The sound of the ball hitting the back of the net was fantastic. Sadly neither of the two pitches I used to play on are used for football any more.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If ever there was a post that the phrase “you should get out more” was designed for, then this is it.

Is this the football equivalent of train spotting :)

:down: That would include me too, then.

I used to love the uniqueness of the goal frames and nets across the different grounds. They were like the 'fingerprints' of the stadium, and like the OP I could identify a ground simply by a glimpse of the posts and nets. When the league insisted all goal frames and nets had to conform to a homogenous standard, I feel we lost something special but for no real benefit.

Similarly, I used to love the variety of floodlight pylons. Like the goal posts, they were part of a club's unique identity and made a statement all of their own.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I started to make a collection of all the goal nets & stanchions a while ago with the intention of turning into a blog. Dont have that computer with me unfortunately but there were some quite freaky... Chelsea had some weirdly shaped ones in the early 90s.

241324139_1871954646309842_6526388338716500382_n.jpg

The last team, IIRC, to play in the PL with anything other than the current box goals was in the 01/02 when Bolton and Leicester had some triangle shaped stanchions. The last team to have coloured nets was Liverpool I think, Klopp wanted the previously red ones to be white for increased visibility.

Today all teams in the PL and EFL have identical (or nearly identical) goals except for Leyton Orient. Abroad there is still some more variation.

I've tried to find if teams all changed to the same model due to some kind of regulation but not found anything. A lot of unique ones disappeared in 96 however as FIFA wants uniformity in their tournaments and lots of teams just kept their new Euro 96 goals after the tournament was finished.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
These revolutionized the game, I mean you could pin them down.

View attachment 145835

I used to play against a kid who would always aim at my hand holding the goal and claim penalties, before pinned down goals!! Onto the real thing, taping the flipping nets up before a game and tryin to get them down with frostbitten hands after..lowest league possible!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All the goalpostes were square wood at school in the 70's/80's . . .

mosty of the posts we played with were made of jumpers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here