Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How many different designs do you need for a football in one season?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Watching games over the weekend, it would appear the answer is "three."

I notice that the 'winter ball' has now been retired and replaced with a new design for 'Spring 2022' rather than simply re-use the balls from last autumn. Sigh.

nike-premier-league-third-ball-1.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Depends how many 'the market' can sustain. Obviously.

If you need to ask, I think you're still work in progress in this Brave New World we all inhabit.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All getting a bit silly now. Life was far simpler back in the day. White ball unless snowing then orange ball was used. It all seems to be a bit of a racket now (like most things connected to football these days)

Well, quite. My son was desperate for the ball in the far right in that picture (£125 for a 'match' version / £25 for the replica). So I got him the £25 version for Christmas (three times as it happens, as there seems to be a problem with the valve on these balls and they keep deflating). Luckily, he didn't want the winter ball as he said it "looks like something out of a comic", plus I wouldn't have bought it even if he did. He hasn't seen the new design yet.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
All getting a bit silly now. Life was far simpler back in the day. White ball unless snowing then orange ball was used. It all seems to be a bit of a racket now (like most things connected to football these days)

wglmf.jpg

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Same as everything else. Companies iterate their products yearly, say their new ball/boot/shirt technology is better than last years, give it a whizzy name, then mid-cycle they release some new colours or "packs" and it makes it seem like they're innovating.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Same as everything else. Companies iterate their products yearly, say their new ball/boot/shirt technology is better than last years, give it a whizzy name, then mid-cycle they release some new colours or "packs" and it makes it seem like they're innovating.

Yup. Fully understand that, and non of us are forced to play along if we chose not to.

Somewhat amusingly, that 'winter ball' became completely invisible to TV viewers whilst being used in a snow storm that descended on the King Power during a game earlier this season. In some ways, the comedic effect of outfield players and goalkeepers sprinting after and lunging at a totally invisible object enhanced my viewing; it was like watching a piece of post-modern Performance Art theatre. (Although I was utterly baffled when a goal was scored and I had absolutely no idea someone had even had a shot).

4mins 15secs onwards on this video.... :lolol:

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It won't be long before each PL club has its own coloured home match ball.

So for the Albion, blue and white for the first part of the season, yellow and blue for the winter months and a guest one for the end of the season

Yup, maybe there was an element of "Ron Manager" in my post. But the point I was trying and apparently failing to make is that everything about the game has become a money making opportunity. Do we really need 3 different types of match ball in a single season (it may be more, I am sure the FA Cup has it's own version, but may be wrong). 1 ball in 2 colours is all that is really required.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Somewhat amusingly, that 'winter ball' became completely invisible to TV viewers whilst being used in a snow storm that descended on the King Power during a game earlier this season. In some ways, the comedic effect of outfield players and goalkeepers sprinting after and lunging at a totally invisible object enhanced my viewing; it was like watching a piece of post-modern Performance Art theatre. (Although I was utterly baffled when a goal was scored and I had absolutely no idea someone had even had a shot).

That’s brilliant :D

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Plans afoot to have one for each month of the season soon! There must be money to be made but who buys replica match balls?.

I did buy one for a grandson from the Japan World Cup years ago but that's it. Is there really though much of a market for differing match balls these days?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yup. Fully understand that, and non of us are forced to play along if we chose not to.

4mins 15secs onwards on this video.... :lolol:

:lolol:
Great use of a leaf blower at 5.14 minutes

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yup, maybe there was an element of "Ron Manager" in my post. But the point I was trying and apparently failing to make is that everything about the game has become a money making opportunity. Do we really need 3 different types of match ball in a single season (it may be more, I am sure the FA Cup has it's own version, but may be wrong). 1 ball in 2 colours is all that is really required.

I’m currently watching Forest v Huddersfield (FA Cup) and the ball is different to the 3 in the opening post.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m currently watching Forest v Huddersfield (FA Cup) and the ball is different to the 3 in the opening post.

Yup. FA cup fixtures are played with a different ball - I think it’s a Mitre one. PL use Nike balls.

I’m here all evening if anyone fancies an in-depth chat about which leagues / competitions use which balls. Anyone? No? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here