Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shell defends 'difficult' decision to buy Russian crude oil, are they right? discuss

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
In my opinion I am ready to make a sacrifice, whether in higher fuel prices or short supply of goods but should we still be buying Russian Oil?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60638255

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba hit out at the energy company, asking on Twitter: "Doesn't Russian oil smell Ukrainian blood for you?"

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just highlights Europe (including Ukraine) is still buying Russian oil gas. its not going to suddenly be replaced from another source.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
What other option do they have? I imagine if they buy elsewhere the price would sharply increase to where people can't afford to drive.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
We should reduce as much as feasible imo.

Luckily we are coming out of winter, so will need less gas for heating, and solar PV generation will start ramping up, hopefully it stays windy, unlike the second half of last year...

Would be a good idea to fast track any larger renewable and energy storage schemes, although they won't be ready in the short term. Maybe plan to have a short term increase in the use of coal powered stations, not ideal, but only on a temporary basis.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...Maybe plan to have a short term increase in the use of coal powered stations, not ideal, but only on a temporary basis.

market ahead of you, doubled since war began. Germany and others already using alot.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m much more annoyed at Nigel “Lord Haw-Haw” Farage appearing in the media today demanding we up our reliance on oil and gas over the long term, which in turn bails out Putin,

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you knew anything at all about Shell's history in the Niger Delta, nothing would surprise you about that company.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
there has been talk from US of agreeing to stop Russian oil. however i dont hear them turning on any production to make up the shortfall.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm going to invest in a human sized 'rabbit wheel' for the garden and whenever the grandchildren come over they can generate electricity for the house by running in it for hours.

They have so much energy to burn, maybe that's the future?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm going to invest in a human sized 'rabbit wheel' for the garden and whenever the grandchildren come over they can generate electricity for the house by running in it for hours.

They have so much energy to burn, maybe that's the future?

In my home town they are currently building a new district that will be producing (without traditional means) more energy than it is using. Might be the future I suppose and I think there's probably lots of good ideas how to produce clean energy cheaply, but I would guess there's some quite powerful forces wanting to delay or stop that development.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
If we are to beat Putin by sanctions/economics noone should think it will be painless for us or Europe. If we tighten the screw by eliminating or substantially reducing energy supply from Russia there will be pain and we will find out if people are willing to accept that for the sake of the wider good. If not we are in danger of putting Ukraine in a false position by pretending we will do more than we will.

I fully understand the possible consequences but I begin to contemplate a more military intervention especially if Putin carries on just killing civilians with no fear of consequences. I fully accept tha many will disagree and it is a very difficult situation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If we are to beat Putin by sanctions/economics noone should think it will be painless for us or Europe. If we tighten the screw by eliminating or substantially reducing energy supply from Russia there will be pain and we will find out if people are willing to accept that for the sake of the wider good. If not we are in danger of putting Ukraine in a false position by pretending we will do more than we will.

I fully understand the possible consequences but I begin to contemplate a more military intervention especially if Putin carries on just killing civilians with no fear of consequences. I fully accept tha many will disagree and it is a very difficult situation.

Question is , does removing the main energy supplier mean "some pain" or a total collapse of our society?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

A military response will almost certainly result in many more deaths.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In my home town they are currently building a new district that will be producing (without traditional means) more energy than it is using. Might be the future I suppose and I think there's probably lots of good ideas how to produce clean energy cheaply, but I would guess there's some quite powerful forces wanting to delay or stop that development.

Correct.

If we can divert a mind boggling amount of money to bring a Covid vaccine online, we should now be doing the same with renewable.

It isn't as if we are short of wind in these parts.

I won't be shelling out for Shell product anytime soon, either. Is there a list somewhere of which supermarkets they supply?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Correct.

If we can divert a mind boggling amount of money to bring a Covid vaccine online, we should now be doing the same with renewable.

It isn't as if we are short of wind in these parts.

I won't be shelling out for Shell product anytime soon, either. Is there a list somewhere of which supermarkets they supply?

Is this a new decision of yours to boycott Shell, because of Ukraine?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What annoys me is that they are buying it at rock bottom bargain prices from a corrupt dictator but charging the earth for the end product.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
just highlights Europe (including Ukraine) is still buying Russian oil gas. its not going to suddenly be replaced from another source.

Just highlights that this (alongside previous and other) government(s) have failed to invest in renewables and related green technology, and that there's yet another reason why this has been such a dreadful decision.
It's quite simple: either the hallowed markets are up to the job, or governments need to step in. The time for the government to step in was about 20 years ago. New Labour actually did try to move in that direction, and got somewhere. The three successive Tory/Tory-led regimes have been simply dreadful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here