Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will writing. CAUTION - dull content

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Alright?

What with the pandemic, war in Ukraine, cost of living and our current Home form I've decided I really need to make a Will.

I've stupidly never got around to it for 101 pointless reasons

I know you can download things from the internet and do-it-yourself but I'd prefer to spend a bit more if it helps SAFEGUARD my VAST fortune from the girlfriends mother.

Anyone had a good will writing experience recently if such a thing exists?

Cheers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://willpowerworthing.co.uk/

I used this lot - advice was straight forward and the process was easy. But my affairs are straight forward - so may not be suitable for more complex requirements

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Alright?

What with the pandemic, war in Ukraine, cost of living and our current Home form I've decided I really need to make a Will.

I've stupidly never got around to it for 101 pointless reasons

I know you can download things from the internet and do-it-yourself but I'd prefer to spend a bit more if it helps SAFEGUARD my VAST fortune from the girlfriends mother.

Anyone had a good will writing experience recently if such a thing exists?

Cheers

Employ a solicitor. If any property issues make sure you discuss all possible scenarios. From bitter experience make sure you understand the difference between ' joint tenants ' and ' tenants in common ' :(

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just last week we used the Coop Legal Services to write out wills. Very happy with the service.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Employ a solicitor. If any property issues make sure you discuss all possible scenarios. From bitter experience make sure you understand the difference between ' joint tenants ' and ' tenants in common ' :(

I'll second that.
We did ours a while back and our property EMPIRE is divided on the first death, half to the surviving person and the other half in a trust with the trustees being the surviving partner and our son. This is so that if the surviving partner needs care, only half the value of the property can be taken into account.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'll second that.
We did ours a while back and our property EMPIRE is divided on the first death, half to the surviving person and the other half in a trust with the trustees being the surviving partner and our son. This is so that if the surviving partner needs care, only half the value of the property can be taken into account.

The bit I fell foul was appreciating how easily a joint tenancy can be severed by one party without needing the agreement of the other party. Thereby getting fxxed over in the will!

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Unless the world does end, when it all comes a bit pointless, equally or more import is to sort out the 2 POAs, (1) Finance and property (2) Health and welfare

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'll second that.
This.

I've done similar.

Also do the power of attorney (although that can be a DIY job on the gov.uk website). That is a must. I never thought I would need it so soon, when I suddenly did.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
went to a local solicitor, found the face to face chat useful re looks of scenarios they asked about, got back to them re their questions, they wrote it, I signed it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Use a qualified advisor (solicitor). Absolutely fraught with potential problems unless your affairs are very simple. Redoing ours now, as last done in 1999 :eek::eek::eek:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Trying to avoid someone inheriting some/all of your estate needs careful planning.
If your will says "everything to the missus [aka girlfriend]" and you die - it moves to her.
And if/when she dies, it will be her will that directs her estate, which will now include yours ....
And if her will says "all to mum" [and her mum is alive] - this will not be as you had wanted.

Get expert help or accept you won't be around to care ...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Unless the world does end, when it all comes a bit pointless, equally or more import is to sort out the 2 POAs, (1) Finance and property (2) Health and welfare

went to a local solicitor, found the face to face chat useful re looks of scenarios they asked about, got back to them re their questions, they wrote it, I signed it

Both of these. We went to a local solicitor with a good reputation to do both wills and all the Power of Attorney stuff. Went through all the options and didn't rush us in the least.

We have two instances in our family at the moment - one on my side, one on Mrs DiS's side, where POAs are being used. Can't emphasise enough the importance of getting them in place.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
As said the Co-op service is great. However, if you are in a union they should provide a free service for members. Mine does, as my subs pay for solicitors I might as well use them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My only piece of advice is if you have someone reasonably close to you (say a Girlfriend's Mother) make reference to them in the Will. i.e I bequeath, give etc £50. The fact that you've referenced them, I believe, makes it less likely they can try to claim more. Lawyer people would, obviously, no far more.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All done before we went down for our Antarctica holiday a few years back just in case an Orca got us...

Was easy-peasy for us with no children, some bits & pieces to our friends and relatives, money from sale of house will go to Mrs Jakarta's Cousin (and God Daughter) and her Family in Aussie Land.

Personally, My RAF/Aircraft Library goes to Tangmere Air Museum, my CBR600 and my Dad's TT Trophies to another of Mrs Jakarta's Cousins Husband (fellow Biker) on proviso the latter end up in the TT Museum (he can thrash the CBR to death - I haven't managed it :lolol:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here