Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Apart from the match

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
How was your time in Newcastle ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Got here Friday afternoon , done the Comedy Club in the evening then out on the toon. Drank to much Guinness and Rum but bloody cheap.
Went to Tyne Dock yesterday morning to see the house my late Dad was born in 1930( always wanted to see it in the flesh so to speak)
Back into Toon for lunchtime footy and beers in the Old George Inn.
Done the game then back out on the toon last night for more Guinness and Rum, still bloody cheap !!
Now in Blakes having a fry up then flight back to Exeter at 2.15pm.

Best away weekend of the season, Toon fans very complimentary about our style of play etc last night as well

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Got here Friday afternoon , done the Comedy Club in the evening then out on the toon. Drank to much Guinness and Rum but bloody cheap.
Went to Tyne Dock yesterday morning to see the house my late Dad was born in 1930( always wanted to see it in the flesh so to speak)
Back into Toon for lunchtime footy and beers in the Old George Inn.
Done the game then back out on the toon last night for more Guinness and Rum, still bloody cheap !!
Now in Blakes having a fry up then flight back to Exeter at 2.15pm.

Best away weekend of the season, Toon fans very complimentary about our style of play etc last night as well

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Charlies Shinpad glad you had a good time.personally never done Newcastle away but stayed long weekend when we played Sunderland

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Early start Saturday, at Heathrow for 6am. Brekkie in the BA lounge, arrived at Newcastle on time. Walked across the road to the hotel to dump bags, on the way over a chap told us the metro wasn’t working and he was taking a couple of other blokes (all of them Toon fans) into town and generously asked if we wanted a lift. Had a good chat about the season so far etc
Lovely day in Newcastle….long stroll by the river with a stop for coffee in the sun. Brunch in town (excellent - Blakes) then Spoons at The Gate for a couple of pints pre-match, again discussing football with locals
Then something a bit shite happened for a couple of hours
Metro and replacement bus back to hotel for a freshen-up, then a taxi back into town for the inevitable pub crawl and the ‘sights’ of Bigg Market :mad: Ended up down on the quayside.
Taxi back at some point (didn’t have to wait long on the rank as unbelievably the gammon at the front of the queue was refusing to get in any cab driven by a ‘paki’)
Hotel brekkie, wander across the road, plane home that landed 30 mins early. Back at home by noon
Top stuff despite the result, locals as friendly as ever (apart from the knob at the taxi rank). Great city to visit.

Last edited:

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Didn't manage to get any tickets in the Albion end this time, so had to venture into the family stand with my daughter who had major back surgery to try and correct double scoliosis back in November.

After a bit of a scare on Friday when she ended up at A&E after her knee gave out twice in two days, we got the go ahead to attend, and caught the 10 to 1 bus yesterday lunchtime for the 4 mile journey to the ground.

After stopping for a bite to eat at Greggs, we arrived at the ground, and were allowed to use the lift as and our seats were in level 7, (4 rows from the back). and Miss NEASTGULL had a knee splint on.

Listening to the Geordies around us, they were concerned when we scored, but I honestly couldn't see us getting an equaliser despite dominating procession.

After the match, we again used the lift, and took a steady walk back to catch the bus home, where we arrived around 6:20.

I then had a phone call from my daughters friends dad who has a season ticket at NUFC. He admitted that he only called to gloat, but said that he was impressed with how we played. Just got to face the NUFC supporters at work tomorrow.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Had 2 nights up there with my lads. Met Dan Burn in Brewdog post match about 8.45pm. Absolute diamond of a chap, had a nice brief chat.

Good weekend. Just got home.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Now, it may be just me, because I’m temporarily blind in one eye, and we were bloody miles up in the sky at NUFC, but it was clear Potter was getting increasingly annoyed and animated in the technical area. And, I may well have this wrong, so forgive me, but it looked to me like he made no effort whatsoever to come and acknowledge the travelling faithful. That in itself doesn’t bother me personally. But it might annoy some, who have made a 700 mile round trip and spent a lot of hard earned cash doing so. There’s a bloke who earns (reckoned) close to £2mpa, and he can’t be bothered to walk 30 metres, clap 3 times and then walk off. To me it appeared that he did the pleasantries with the oppo, and then was off. May well be wrong. Anyone else?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just got back.

Arrived in Newcastle at 1, parked up.

Few drinks, lost 2-1 then a splendid pig out at Tomahawk, Quayside.

Back to hotel, few more drinks then bed before a traffic influenced drive home.

All in all, great fun.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
left home just gone 9am, 20 minutes to train station, 2 hour 40 minutes direct train, nice walk through town, in ground when opened, nice walk back all downhill, back home just after 9pm

very welcoming place for away fans, no animosity, since last time seems like a dark cloud lifted re how locals view things, looks a bit more like a proper football ground now all logos re old owner all gone, though am sure all empty space will get monetised again soon

if not on tv and normal kick off then counts as best PL away day out to me

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Now, it may be just me, because I’m temporarily blind in one eye, and we were bloody miles up in the sky at NUFC, but it was clear Potter was getting increasingly annoyed and animated in the technical area. And, I may well have this wrong, so forgive me, but it looked to me like he made no effort whatsoever to come and acknowledge the travelling faithful. That in itself doesn’t bother me personally. But it might annoy some, who have made a 700 mile round trip and spent a lot of hard earned cash doing so. There’s a bloke who earns (reckoned) close to £2mpa, and he can’t be bothered to walk 30 metres, clap 3 times and then walk off. To me it appeared that he did the pleasantries with the oppo, and then was off. May well be wrong. Anyone else?
It wasn't you. He stormed off at the end. If a few fans needed a history lesson for booing perhaps he needs a geography lesson - poor form not acknowledging the away support on the biggest away journey of the season I thought.

Anyway, football aside it's a great day out. Best football city in the country. Just a same they've sold out

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

He didn’t, but the players did. I actually couldn’t give much of a **** whether he does or not. It doesn’t make any difference to me at all - if the players didn’t I’d have more of an issue, but not the gaffer. Get down the tunnel and work out what you’re going to say to them when they come in.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He didn’t, but the players did. I actually couldn’t give much of a **** whether he does or not. It doesn’t make any difference to me at all - if the players didn’t I’d have more of an issue, but not the gaffer. Get down the tunnel and work out what you’re going to say to them when they come in.
Disagree. Applauding the away fans is something that happens every game. Like shaking hands with the opposition, doing a post match interview. It's only when it doesn't happen that it's not normal and does mean something.

He'll milk the applause when we get a good result so it's pretty weak to storm down the tunnel when we don't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disagree. Applauding the away fans is something that happens every game. Like shaking hands with the opposition, doing a post match interview. It's only when it doesn't happen that it's not normal and does mean something.

He'll milk the applause when we get a good result so it's pretty weak to storm down the tunnel when we don't.

It’s a personal thing. I genuinely don’t care what the manager does. Applause after a win smacks a bit of taking credit for what the players have done

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Honestly, in the emotion of the moment, it doesn’t worry me one bit if he disappears down the tunnel on a defeat. That shows competitive passion. BUT, he is smart enough to know that symbolism is important, and he should have acknowledged the commitment of the hard up common man and woman who made that long trip. It doesn’t make him a criminal. But he knows he should have at least acknowledged it. And he didn’t. So, he is angry.

Potter -> Rodgers -> Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here