Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Brighton v Newcastle Who Scored Stats Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Last week, in the Villa aftermath, I linked to whoscored.com who have some excellent positional and shots analysis for each game. This is not xG, which I don't trust at all, but actual player and ball GPS data.

The Villa pictures and numbers seemed to confirm what I thought during that game. This time round I missed much of yesterday between errands and a very dodgy small river so I offer this mostly without comment or interpretation (but a few things are interesting).

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...er-League-2021-2022-Newcastle-United-Brighton

The stuff that was interesting to me:

1) We were forced wide. The average position of the team meant almost no one, apart from Alzate, played in the middle. People wonder why Moder is regularly hooked, yet the data suggests that he and Cucurella were taking up identical positions. Newcastle held the middle again, just as Villa and Burnley did, and we only scored once. Three games in a row suggests this is tactical by both coaches and is more on Potter than the players.

brighton newc.JPG

2) However, in weaknesses Brighton "committed a high number of individual errors". That's very much on the players in my book. And....

3) Shots. When you have a lot more shots and 20% of them are in the 6 yard box you should convert more than 6% of them. Players again. But we also had a quarter of our shots from outside the box. Newcastle had none. That's tactics IMO (i.e. being blocked by their central players and eventually having a pot shot).

brightonnewshots.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here