Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Queretaro-Atlas riot

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Terrible scenes over in Mexico - unconfirmed reports of multiple fatalities following fighting between fans in a top-flight match between Queretaro and Atlas

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just seen one of the videos which was, quite frankly, one too many. Horrendous images.

17 feared dead from the violence according to Marca.

Brutal, senseless and tragic.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Mexico is a very violent country , lots of drug gangs and corrupt police . I would never risk
A holiday there . Sadly much of South America can be dangerous and Central American countries like Honduras are even worse . Best avoided .

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Yes Mexico is a violent country but it has been home for the past 27 years and a wonderful home at that. The mexicans are warm, friendly, hard working (and soccer crazy) people - and complicated & suffering as well
, for those with a slant to the intellectual try reading Octavio Paz´s book the Labyrinth of Solitude for an understanding of that. Unfortunately most of what you hear & see outside is related to the violence - inherent in the country, but then you find that to varying degrees across all of Latin America. Latin America is not a place to be avoided but one to be explored and embraced - though do take care....

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Mexico is a very violent country , lots of drug gangs and corrupt police . I would never risk
A holiday there . Sadly much of South America can be dangerous and Central American countries like Honduras are even worse . Best avoided .

A shame because it’s absolutely beautiful and home to very welcoming and friendly people.

Although you’re scared of London so it doesn’t surprise me one bit.

On the matter of the OP, absolutely tragic and senseless. There are reports that it was two rival ultras groups who are also rival cartels. Terrible stuff

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still FIFA must know what they are doing by including Mexico as a host country for the 2026 World Cup

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Seems like the club & local government are trying to prevent any official information going out. There is plenty of evidence on social (I do not recommend looking for it) of many deaths.

you can be dismembered and fed to wild pigs for parking in the wrong spot or looking at the wrong persons icecream in Guadalajara or Quito.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yes Mexico is a violent country but it has been home for the past 27 years and a wonderful home at that. The mexicans are warm, friendly, hard working (and soccer crazy) people - and complicated & suffering as well
, for those with a slant to the intellectual try reading Octavio Paz´s book the Labyrinth of Solitude for an understanding of that. Unfortunately most of what you hear & see outside is related to the violence - inherent in the country, but then you find that to varying degrees across all of Latin America. Latin America is not a place to be avoided but one to be explored and embraced - though do take care....

whenever Mexico is portrayed on TV in various American series (seal team, NCIS, Films etc) it is always as a lawless corrupt , mega violent country, with police as bad or worse than the cartells, with anarchy on all the streets, everyone armed to the teeth , and American undercovers constantly saving the good old USA from something or the other

I was wondering that even given the usual TV licence to exaggerate is it in anyway as portrayed-or is the reality that there are areas that are bad, and that the rest of the country is more "normal"?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
you can be dismembered and fed to wild pigs for parking in the wrong spot or looking at the wrong persons icecream in Guadalajara or Quito.

Quito is in Ecuador, but out of all of the south american cities I have been to it was definitely the most sketchy. Like any massive city though, 99.9% of people are just trying to get on with their day and peacefully go about their lives.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Quito is in Ecuador, but out of all of the south american cities I have been to it was definitely the most sketchy. Like any massive city though, 99.9% of people are just trying to get on with their day and peacefully go about their lives.

footballers go missing off the streets of Quito and are often never seen or heard of again.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
According to BBC no one dead but 9 injured.

According to one report if deaths are declared at the stadium then the team and league are criminally liable. So despite apparent copious video and photo evidence to the contrary there's motivation and perhaps corruption to declare people dying later of injuries or in unrelated accidents.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
footballers go missing off the streets of Quito and are often never seen or heard of again.

Same happens to most of our u23 signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here