Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hm Land Registry - Completion of registration documents

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I would be grateful to those with any knowledge could help me with a few questions.

I have just got back from a few days away and on the mat was a package from the solicitors that we used to purchase our property. Nothing unusual there, I here you say! Well, in 28 days it will be 3 years to the day since we purchased and moved in to our home. According to the Hm Land Registration document the application was made on 01 Nov 21. That's 20 months after we moved in! I understand that it can take up to 12 months for these documents to be sent but 35 months! Blimey.

1) Am I being a drama queen (quite possibly) or do I have justification to fire off a snotty email to my old solicitors at such a delay?

2) As this is a service they seemed to have carried out on our behalf well after the sale went through, will we be presented with a bill for their services and am I within my rights to tell them where to go if they do?

3) Should I just :shrug: and think Oh well, shit happens.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to work in the Land Registry in Tunbridge Wells colouring in the land being sold with a crayon. I think things have moved on, as did I after three months :lolol:

Sorry that is of no use to the OP but it reminded me of that short lived job. A colleague used to pick me up in his Mini in the morning. In his drawer he had a sticker. It said “I have an arrangement with the Land Registry, they don’t pay me much money and I don’t do much work”

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I used to work in the Land Registry in Tunbridge Wells colouring in the land being sold with a crayon. I think things have moved on, as did I after three months :lolol:

Sorry that is of no use to the OP but it reminded me of that short lived job. A colleague used to pick me up in his Mini in the morning. In his drawer he had a sticker. It said “I have an arrangement with the Land Registry, they don’t pay me much money and I don’t do much work”

:lolol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Have you suffered any loss? If not I’d say let it go, much better things to be getting on with.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
1) Yes
2) No you should not. Land Reg Fees are normally charged as part of your solicitors bill, under expenses.
3) Yes. Sounds like the sol messed up if they only applied for it 2.5 years later.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Have you suffered any loss? If not I’d say let it go, much better things to be getting on with.

No. Not any loss but having paid hefty fees for their services ( I say services but the were fecking awful with their communications at the time of the purchase and it stressed out both myself and my wife ) and this latest episode just puts the cherry on the top. Can I also add that after completion my solicitor basically left it to me to sort out the paperwork and registration for our share of the freehold because they had not even started on that!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
3). And you won’t receive a further solicitors bill.

Just don’t use that firm again. Some professional firms have been chaotic since the pandemic started, using it as enduring excuse for procrastination and incompetence, despite having 23 months to get their WFH systems in place.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
3). And you won’t receive a further solicitors bill.

Just don’t use that firm again. Some professional firms have been chaotic since the pandemic started, using it as enduring excuse for procrastination and incompetence, despite having 23 months to get their WFH systems in place.

Thanks for the reply. Spookily within the last hour I received an email from the solicitors in relation to a survey about their services ( I guess that them finally sending out this pack triggered this) and asked how I felt. Let's just say that I spent a little time than normal on the survey and it felt really good to get that shit out of my system and let them know my thoughts. I await their feedback with anticipation :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for the reply. Spookily within the last hour I received an email from the solicitors in relation to a survey about their services ( I guess that them finally sending out this pack triggered this) and asked how I felt. Let's just say that I spent a little time than normal on the survey and it felt really good to get that shit out of my system and let them know my thoughts. I await their feedback with anticipation :lolol:

When I complete those after awful service, I tick all the lowest scores, with scathing (but polite and publishable) narrative answers in the any comments boxes.

Then I’m cynical that they truly absorb/count all bad ratings.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
When I complete those after awful service, I tick all the lowest scores, with scathing (but polite and publishable) narrative answers in the any comments boxes.

Then I’m cynical that they truly absorb/count all bad ratings.

Indeed. Tonight's survey was the first ever survey where I scored a 1 on each question. If there had been a zero avaliable I would have used that instead.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I would be grateful to those with any knowledge could help me with a few questions.

I have just got back from a few days away and on the mat was a package from the solicitors that we used to purchase our property. Nothing unusual there, I here you say! Well, in 28 days it will be 3 years to the day since we purchased and moved in to our home. According to the Hm Land Registration document the application was made on 01 Nov 21. That's 20 months after we moved in! I understand that it can take up to 12 months for these documents to be sent but 35 months! Blimey.

1) Am I being a drama queen (quite possibly) or do I have justification to fire off a snotty email to my old solicitors at such a delay?

2) As this is a service they seemed to have carried out on our behalf well after the sale went through, will we be presented with a bill for their services and am I within my rights to tell them where to go if they do?

3) Should I just :shrug: and think Oh well, shit happens.

You may not be entitled to compensation, but it must be worth registering a formal complaint with the Law Society? What if say 12 months ago you tried to sell or raise a loan on your property, their delay could have seriously affected you. I recall many years ago my brother being quoted a fixed price conveyancing quote from a very well known Brighton firm inclusive of VAT. When they billed him they added VAT on as they “made a mistake” when issuing the quote. They reluctantly reinvoiced the correct amount only after I threatened a formal complaint. Don’t let them off the hook....

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
You may not be entitled to compensation, but it must be worth registering a formal complaint with the Law Society? What if say 12 months ago you tried to sell or raise a loan on your property, their delay could have seriously affected you. I recall many years ago my brother being quoted a fixed price conveyancing quote from a very well known Brighton firm inclusive of VAT. When they billed him they added VAT on as they “made a mistake” when issuing the quote. They reluctantly reinvoiced the correct amount only after I threatened a formal complaint. Don’t let them off the hook....

Thanks for the reply. I'm not necessarily after any compensation (but I would bank it if they should they post me a nice crisp cheque :D). It's just I am unsure as to whether this is normal and if not who would I moan to? As I mentioned they were worse than useless on the original transaction and this latest delay in receiving this paperwork vindicates my original opinion that they didn't act on our behalf as they should have done at the time.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Thanks for the reply. I'm not necessarily after any compensation (but I would bank it if they should they post me a nice crisp cheque :D). It's just I am unsure as to whether this is normal and if not who would I moan to? As I mentioned they were worse than useless on the original transaction and this latest delay in receiving this paperwork vindicates my original opinion that they didn't act on our behalf as they should have done at the time.

100% not normal and I suspect it is the Law Society you could complain to.

If I was in your position I would send them a very brief letter, but send it registered post, along the lines of “ With reference to the delay in dealing with my land registry and no information regarding the reason for the delay, please send me your formal complaint procedure”. All professional firms should have a formal complaints procedure. Let them stew for a bit too....

Covid is not an excuse for the delay and even if it was, they should have kept you informed of the delay.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
100% not normal and I suspect it is the Law Society you could complain to.

If I was in your position I would send them a very brief letter, but send it registered post, along the lines of “ With reference to the delay in dealing with my land registry and no information regarding the reason for the delay, please send me your formal complaint procedure”. All professional firms should have a formal complaints procedure. Let them stew for a bit too....

Covid is not an excuse for the delay and even if it was, they should have kept you informed of the delay.

Will do. Many thanks. Again, NSC comes to the rescue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here