Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] MPS to get £2,000 pay rise.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
So it would appear MPS are to get a £2,000 a year pay rise due to increased duties last year. What about all the key workers who had to put in extra shifts with the COVID pandemic. I for one have friends who worked their backsides off and for what, bugger all pay rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Can understand the frustration re: key workers. To my mind the outrage is not that MPs are getting a pay rise, it’s that so many key workers (be they private or public sector) have had their wages suppressed for over a decade, making them significantly poorer in real terms.

For a thriving economy, workers need money in their pockets. This current policy of “starve the employee, feed the board/shareholders” that has been in place really since the 2008 financial crisis is misguided.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
2.7% rise

the party leaders will be against it, but all the MPs will take it. set by a committee, we have this argument every other year when they raise their wages.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
2.7% rise

the party leaders will be against it, but all the MPs will take it. set by a committee, we have this argument every other year when they raise their wages.

Not all MPs will take it. Several have stated they will donate the e tra to food banks etc. One MP, whose name escapes me, only take £35K a year donating all th rest to charity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shocking. And apparently there is nothing they can do about it as it’s set by an independent body.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Our MPs are underpaid, which is one of the reasons the current batch have a huge piss poor contingent amongst them. Personally, I'd like to double their wages but find some genuine talent and forward thinkers to replace Sir Michael Port-Cheese of Blue rinse on sea who gets elected year and year for having a blue rosette and no discernable talent.

If that were to happen - and there is zero chance of it - perhaps we could genuinely tackle low wages, high house prices, care crisis and the spread of inequality rather than just say Build, back, Whatever and hope it all works out with the current bunch of grifters.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We are just as corrupt, if not more than all the others.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Our MPs are underpaid, which is one of the reasons the current batch have a huge piss poor contingent amongst them. Personally, I'd like to double their wages but find some genuine talent and forward thinkers to replace Sir Michael Port-Cheese of Blue rinse on sea who gets elected year and year for having a blue rosette and no discernable talent.

If that were to happen - and there is zero chance of it - perhaps we could genuinely tackle low wages, high house prices, care crisis and the spread of inequality rather than just say Build, back, Whatever and hope it all works out with the current bunch of grifters.

The problem with that is you only need one idiot to stand in a constituency and the British electorate have proven time and time again, that they are capable of voting them in :lolol:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
MPs should be paid the wage they were earning when they went into politics.
If I could suffer the loss of earnings I might stand myself [emoji6]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm also of the opinion that the position of an MP is underpaid (which is different from saying the current MPs are underpaid).

If you want to attract high calibre people to the position, the compensation needs to be reflective of that and, whilst recognising that £84k is by most measures a very decent salary, in many industries it most certainly is not.

Some people complain about the quality and, in some cases, the integrity of our elected officials. Pay peanuts, get monkeys and all that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It’s a widespread myth that our MP’s are underpaid. Next month their salary goes up to £86k + expenses and living allowances that bring that figure up to approx £120k.

Underpaid my hole!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Am I being whooshed here? £82K a year - and going up - is "underpaid"? FFS.

A junior doctor earns around £30-35K. A nurse around £33K.

Which do you think is the best value for money?

If you want quality people with talent and the right values, you’ll need to pay more than £82k.

Genuinely talented people will take up roles with FTSE companies on £200k plus per year.

I’d reduce the number of MP’s but pay enough to attract the right people. The country will benefit in the long-term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here