Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Barber got it wrong re: club stance on Ukraine?

Well?

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The club's (in)action so far in demonstrating their support has been lacking/non-existent. Should they be doing more?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What exactly do you expect them to do? Ban vodka from the 1901 bars and Dickies?

It's a slippery slope for the club to start getting involved in politics. What's next, China? Johnson? Brexit?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The club's (in)action so far in demonstrating their support has been lacking/non-existent. Should they be doing more?

I'm sure something IS being sorted very soon.
FIFA and UEFA have finally kicked, so be patient :)

Could always email him???

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Can you provide more details on what has been done and what you think should be being done? I'm unsure which way to vote

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The players / manager could have done something. And didn't.
Our chairman could have stepped in and requested something. And didn't.
The fans barely managed anything other than some blue / yellow bed sheets in the North stand and an attempt at a song.

I do think IF he has said the FA only sanctioned this if you had a Ukrainian then either he was mis-led, or he didn't really ask / find out.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't think it would have been appropriate. Everton's show of support was extremely appropriate as both teams have a Ukrainian player, but if we'd got involved I'm not sure it would have had any impact. I don't think we need to be seen to be shouting it from the rooftops in order for people to know we're against invading a peaceful nation for no reason whatsoever.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

A. Why has Barber 'got it wrong'? As opposed to Tony Bloom, or the other members of the board?

B. 'Should they be doing more?' Like what? What do you propose? Send the U23s* to take up arms in Kiev? Get the youth team to start knocking up molotov cocktails?

*Although that would be difficult, as presumably by the same logic they'd already be busy in Yemen, or Kashmir, or Xinjiang, or Myanmar?

Sure they could put out some kind of statement "Everyone at Brighton is against war, and urges President Putin to reconsider his actions", but for what? :shrug:

About the only thing the club could realistically get involved in, that wouldn't be entirely pointless, would be to contribute to and publicise the Red Cross refugee appeal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A. Why has Barber 'got it wrong'? As opposed to Tony Bloom, or the other members of the board?

B. 'Should they be doing more?' Like what? What do you propose? Send the U23s* to take up arms in Kiev? Get the youth team to start knocking up molotov cocktails?

*Although that would be difficult, as presumably by the same logic they'd already be busy in Yemen, or Kashmir, or Xinjiang, or Myanmar?

Sure they could put out some kind of statement "Everyone at Brighton is against war, and urges President Putin to reconsider his actions", but for what? :shrug:

About the only thing the club could realistically get involved in, that wouldn't be entirely pointless, would be to contribute to and publicise the Red Cross refugee appeal.

Clown. Have you SEEN the price of petrol round here ???

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I care a lot about what happens in Ukraine, but I'm not sure that my football club can do much about it...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agree with all of that

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Why does the club need a 'stance' on Ukraine? It's a football club, not a political/military thinktank. Does the club also need a stance on Hong Kong? Or Taiwan perhaps? What about Venezuela? Or Islamic State?

Like everyone else I am appalled (and slightly scared) by Putin's invasion but I see football as a refuge from this, not just yet another place to talk/demonstrate about it. If we had a Ukrainian player I'd feel differently as I'd want us to show him some support, but we don't.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Just out of interest, what EXACTLY would you be hoping they would do ? :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's remarkable how whenever the club does anything good it's all down to the saintly Bloom and Ashworth, and whenever it's bad, it's the nasty old Paul Barber solely to blame

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here