Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Teams Finding Lamptey Out?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Probably a little off the pace for the last few games, and generally hasn't done quite so well for some little time now.

Has been one of our best assets since his introduction to the side last season, with his explosive pace and sheer enthusiasm.

He doesn't seem to be doing anything different, but for me he isn't having quite the same effect on the team. Have the opposition worked out how he plays and been able to lessen his contribution?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I suspect it is the 'Will Buckley' affect - he cannot work at the rate he was, otherwise he is going to suffer injuries. So he has to 'manage' it - and without the lightning pace he has lost some of his effect

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
His pace is all he really has. He positioning is poor, his crossing is hit and hope and he isn't a very good defender. Now that he isn't using his pace, he's reminding me more and more of Lualua after his injury. Was never the same.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He’s been playing in a patchwork back 4 so doesn’t have the freedom to roam. Also teams are showing him inside and our wide right players, eg Moder are taking his space.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Over the last few games, he has seemed to favour stopping turning back towards his so-defenders and passing. He was a much more enjoyable watch running hell for leather at and usually past opposition defenders.
I hope his confidence restores to the previous seemingly dizzying heights soon.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Most of this thread is utter utter rubbish. Some people are simply looking for another scapegoat for our poor performances. He skinned Villa's right back a number of times on Saturday and put a few great crosses in and a few not so great. Teams are often putting 2 or 3 players on him which theoretically should free up space for other players. It is not his fault if some of the rest of the team are playing below par. I think he's played pretty well over all.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Most of this thread is utter utter rubbish. Some people are simply looking for another scapegoat for our poor performances. He skinned Villa's right back a number of times on Saturday and put a few great crosses in and a few not so great. Teams are often putting 2 or 3 players on him which theoretically should free up space for other players. It is not his fault if some of the rest of the team are playing below par. I think he's played pretty well over all.

This please. He also works better in a back 5, preferably Dunk, Webster and Veltman. All other combos don't seem to free him up as much down the right

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Utter rubbish? l don't think so, l'm just concerned that one of our best players isn't, in my opinion, currently having the effect in games that he once had, no more than that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This. They had at least 2 players on him whenever he got the ball. Teams haven't 'found him out' as it's been clear for a while that Lamptey is the quickest player in the Premier League, but he can't do everything on his own and needs the rest of the team to give the opposition something to think about so he can get some space to exploit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Utter rubbish? l don't think so, l'm just concerned that one of our best players isn't, in my opinion, currently having the effect in games that he once had, no more than that.

Pretty much none of the players have 'had the effect' we want in the last few games as evidenced by the results. I stand by my comments that Lamptey is a poor choice to complain about. He has been one of our better performers. Some of the comments after your OP were ridiculous.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
His pace is all he really has. He positioning is poor, his crossing is hit and hope and he isn't a very good defender. Now that he isn't using his pace, he's reminding me more and more of Lualua after his injury. Was never the same.

I thoroughly disagree. He has put in some very timely tackles when tracking back and his crosses are very good. He needs to play as a wing back not part of a 4 when Webster is fit.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I dont think they have found him out. Just playing in wrong position. Potter has got carried away about his attacking skills and as soon as we go one down he is played as a right winger which he is not and is marked out of game by at least 2 defenders.. He is a very good attacking defender who can cause havoc when coming from deep when there is space. He needs to look at Walker who first and foremost defends well and gets forward when game allows which with City is often

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This, 100%. One of the reasons he’s not charging forward and crossing is because no ****er is in the box to receive it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I dont think they have found him out. Just playing in wrong position. Potter has got carried away about his attacking skills and as soon as we go one down he is played as a right winger which he is not and is marked out of game by at least 2 defenders.. He is a very good attacking defender who can cause havoc when coming from deep when there is space. He needs to look at Walker who first and foremost defends well and gets forward when game allows which with City is often

Don't know about that. He played in an advanced position against Man U and was a real threat, to the extent that Shaw should've been sent off for 2 yellows, and that was with 10 men! The difference was that on that night was that the other 9 men were playing fairly well. Not quite sure what's happened since then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I’m thinking the op wasn’t referring to you ….but maybe a post in particular that seemed to indicate that he has no qualities whatsoever as a fullback :) (to you) :facepalm: to the post

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Crikey. He is the last person that should be up for any kind of criticism- look at the other 9 outfield players first given that having Lamptey on the pitch means two or three opposing players are tied up marking him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Over the last few games, he has seemed to favour stopping turning back towards his so-defenders and passing. He was a much more enjoyable watch running hell for leather at and usually past opposition defenders.
I hope his confidence restores to the previous seemingly dizzying heights soon.
Presumably this has been coached - it's what all his team-mates do after all.

He was understanably eased back in after his serious injury, which was fair enough. Now, he needs to play at RWB, with a back three - and our stability at the back has recentky been seriously reduces by injuries, suspension and the sale of 20% of our CB resources. If, as it seems, Roberts is not going to be used, I'm surprised we didn't recall Matt Clarke from West Brom now that their promotion push is over for this seson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here